iPhone X size concern?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ZacKaffeine, Sep 23, 2017.

1. ZacKaffeine macrumors member

First, I am NOT trolling lol. I fully intend on preordering the X and I'm pretty excited about it. However, I didn't know if anyone else was worried about the size of it if they, too, are coming from a plus size model? I've had the plus models since the 6 and I've really enjoyed the form factor. Obviously the larger screen is nice but having large hands, the size of the phone itself is perfect. This is where I'm a little concerned about the X. I really like everything else about it, I mean it's a beautiful phone. I was just wondering if anyone else was worried about it? I thought about just going with the 8 Plus but I really like the look and added features of the X. Thanks :D

2. alleggerita macrumors 6502

alleggerita

I think one thing you must know here is that there’s no landscape mode on the X like there is on the Plus. So it’s basically gonna render apps like on the non-Plus models. So bigger screen yes, but not necessarily as productive as the Plus.

3. aneftp macrumors 601

Does Apple still enable landscape mode for watching movies and tv?

That’s all that matters to 98 percent of people. Because i never use landscape mode in iPhone 6 or 6s plus. My wife never uses it in her iPhone 7s. Typing is just odd in Landscape mode.

4. alleggerita macrumors 6502

alleggerita

I’ve never liked landscape mode on my 7 Plus too. That’s why I’m not gonna miss it much when I switch over to the X.

As for the question about landscape mode for movies and videos, I think it’s quite definitely a yes.

5. ZacKaffeine thread starter macrumors member

Great point but I rarely ever use the landscape mode. I think I'm just going to miss the width of the plus. There's also the point that I'm always going to be covering some part of the screen if I'm not holding the phone in my palm. It'll probably just take some getting used to. I guess there's always the return window if I can't handle it lol

6. Jman13, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

Jman13 macrumors 68000

I think people are going to be surprised by how small the iPhone X's screen will feel in regular use. It might be a 'larger' screen than the Plus version, but it won't feel bigger at all, and will almost certainly feel smaller. It's a narrower screen, so webpages will not show as much from side to side, or they will and they'll have smaller text. The notch and a portion of the bottom aren't really usable space for the status bar (but it's larger than the current status bar, so more wasted space) and the gesture area to close the app.

With those taken out, the usable space is around 5.45" diagonally, but in a skinnier format, so it'll feel about the same as around a 5.2" screen. Still a nice bump from the regular 8, but it'll feel smaller in use than the Plus versions.

I made a mockup comparison, lining up the 8 Plus screen size with the X screen size, so that the ears are cut off to get an idea of the app space on each phone.
    https://i.imgur.com/H7QWdNK.jpg

7. roeiz macrumors 65816

roeiz

The short answer:
    It will feel smaller than the +
    In most scenatios it will be closer to the regular model.
    Also a big concern for me.

8. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Nope, not worried. Looking forward to it actually. Plus is too big.

9. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

Completely agree. Landscape mode is a disaster for anything but an iPad. I’m sure that a fraction of iPhone users ever do anything in landscape aside from video.

10. dtdt123 macrumors regular

Size concern is my biggest issue for the X, coming from a 7+.
    I like everything about the X, I'm sure I could get used to the notch but I love the screen width of my 7+.
    I wish they had made a X+, I'd be all over that beast!
    I'm half tempted to get an 8+, but considering getting a X to try and returning it if I can't get past the width issue.
    FYI I'm on the IUP, just wishing I could decide which way to go.
    I could probably turn a profit on the X by selling it if I didn't want it due to alleged shortages.

11. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

CNET has a good scale pic up.

I will stick with the iPhone 8+.

Attached Files:

12. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

The way I think of it, AR is supposed to be immersive so you want as less screen as possible. Apple says AR is the future, going to get bigger, no matter how strange the X display will be, the most screen compared to the surface area of the phone will be with the X, so it will be the most immersive. If you have a plus, sure you get a bigger screen, but you get bezels, home button, etc. that will be more distracting to the overall experience.

13. dtdt123 macrumors regular

Good one thanks, I think I'm tending toward the 8+, in the hope the there is an X+ (or whatever they would call it) next year.

14. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

The more I read your posts, the more I think about how Samsung seems to have the size formula right with their two models. (Technology and benchmarks aside, which I have to admit that InfinityEdge display is drool-worthy, the screen dimensions are just right...)

15. chabig macrumors 603

If you want the phone to be larger, I'm sure you can find a case to make it so.

16. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

17. chabig macrumors 603

Of course there is landscape mode. It's app specific and is clearly shown on Apple's iPhone X pages. Are you specifically referring to the home screen?

18. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68020

THE JUICEMAN

I’m not worried about the size change. The plus has always felt too big to me. This X is exactly what I’ve been wanting. Small form factor, big screen. I can’t wait.

19. deadworlds macrumors 65816

deadworlds

I love my 7+ and it’s large screen but there have been some instances where doing things one handed has been pretty hard. Specifically, texting one handed is difficult for me. I know iOS 11 added the ability to shift the keyboard to one side of the screen to make that easier.

I personally am looking forward to a screen thats taller but easier to reach across. There are also a ton of visual comparison comparing the different screen sizes. Yes the X is a smaller screen but not by much.

20. jamezr macrumors G5

jamezr

21. wolfedude88 macrumors 6502

wolfedude88

I guess I'm the only one on the other side of this. I am hoping it doesn't seem too big, I've never liked the plus phones because they are too big. The 4 and 5 series were perfect to me, one handed at its best, easiest for me at my work. The 6,7,&8 are ok in size but not perfect, and I know the X isn't too much bigger but the screen itself is and I hope I will like it.

It will be nice to have a bigger screen I guess and I love the look of it but I know it will be an adjustment for me to use this phone. With that said I hope I can manage to get one day 1, if I'm really lucky I hope to get 2 so my wife can have one. lol. She doesn't really care but I prefer her to have the latest as well, lol

22. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

I really like the graphic. To me, it's very clear the display is taller than the 8+ and is wider than the iPhone 8. I think it's almost perfect (if the display extended to cover up those bezels), though I haven't used any plus version because I dislike the size, so.. I am biased.

23. michael31986 macrumors 68040

I’m excited to have a longer screen I mainly use phone in portrait. Yes the phone isn’t as wide as the plus but it’s not a huge difference imo. Plus watch next year they make two versions of oled

24. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

You should be concerned.

X is more beneficial to non-plus owners.

Plus owners, especially those who are regular landscape users, will be putting reduced form factor ahead of reduced screen if they were to go X.

Maybe next year Plus users will get their dream phone. This year, for the most part, non-plus owners get to go 'edge to edge' sans sacrifice.

25. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

Go for it, you've been many years with the pluses, change it a bit. I can't wait to get mine. this will be the most important iPhone release since the 4.