Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The next-generation iPhone X will feature a smaller notch for the TrueDepth camera system, while future models released in 2019 or later will have no notch whatsoever, according to Korea's ET News.

iphone-x-quad.jpg

The report reiterates Apple's widely rumored plans to release three new iPhone models this year, including a second-generation 5.8-inch iPhone X, a larger 6.5-inch version dubbed iPhone X Plus, and a mid-range 6.1-inch model with design tradeoffs like an LCD screen to achieve a lower price point.

The interesting bit is that all three iPhone models are said to feature slimmer bezels and smaller notches, emphasis ours:
Apple is planning to release two models with OLED display and a model with LCD display during this fall. It is heard that OLED models will be available in 5.85-inch display and 6.46-inch display while a LCD model will be available only in 6.04-inch model. All three of these models will have Face ID function and it is heard that there will be less bezel and smaller notch design.
An unnamed industry source added that Apple has decided to remove the notch "from 2019 models," suggesting the third-generation iPhone X could be the first model with a truly full-screen design.
"Apple decided to get rid of notch design starting from 2019 models and is having discussions with relevant companies," said a representative for an industry. "It seems that Apple is planning to implement full-screen that is more complete to its new iPhones."
The report claims each iPhone will have Face ID, but it's unclear how Apple would manage to fit the required TrueDepth sensors on the front of the devices without a notch. The report speculates that Apple could drill holes into the display itself, or use patented multi-layer Black Matrix technology.

Barclays analysts have also predicted the trio of new iPhone models released in 2018 could have smaller notches. ET News previously said Apple was exploring ways to combine a face recognition module with a camera module.

Apple removing the notch on the iPhone X is almost certainly its end goal, but as with any supply chain report, the timing of the move is uncertain.

Article Link: Next iPhone X Lineup Said to Feature Smaller Notches, 2019 Models May Ditch Notch Entirely

Reactions: Avieshek

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
People, don't get your hopes up. The only reason we are dealing with notches and FaceID is because Apple failed at incorporating the touch ID behind the screen. Talking now about incorporating FaceID behind the screen is crazy talk, it won't happen anytime soon.

xkam1x

Cancelled
Dec 15, 2014
They could place the sensors under the display, pointing towards the top of the phone. Then use mirror to reflect the image from front of the phone to the sensors. Current sensor optics are not designed for this but it is possible for Apple to manufacture custom lenses to make that happen.

This will require much smaller opening then the width of the lenses they have currently.

Reactions: Wide opeN

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
The interesting bit is that all three iPhone models are said to feature slimmer bezels and smaller notches, emphasis ours:An unnamed industry source added that Apple has decided to remove the notch "from 2019 models," suggesting the third-generation iPhone X could be the first model with a truly full-screen design.
No, it won't. The cameras have to go somewhere.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I was expecting one more year due to the technical challenges of pulling this off, but I am fine with it either way. I don't mind the notch at all and I think it looks futuristic. Ultimately though, I am buying an iPhone for the build quality, best performance, and of course, iOS. Notch or no notch, cool by me.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
People, don't get your hopes up. The only reason we are dealing with notches and FaceID is because Apple failed at incorporating the touch ID behind the screen. Talking now about incorporating FaceID behind the screen is crazy talk, it won't happen anytime soon.

False. Apple has directly come out and said they never tried the Touch ID under screen and instead decided to scrap fingerprint authentication for Face ID from the beginning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.