Next iPhone X Lineup Said to Feature Smaller Notches, 2019 Models May Ditch Notch Entirely

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 7, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The next-generation iPhone X will feature a smaller notch for the TrueDepth camera system, while future models released in 2019 or later will have no notch whatsoever, according to Korea's ET News.

[​IMG]

The report reiterates Apple's widely rumored plans to release three new iPhone models this year, including a second-generation 5.8-inch iPhone X, a larger 6.5-inch version dubbed iPhone X Plus, and a mid-range 6.1-inch model with design tradeoffs like an LCD screen to achieve a lower price point.

The interesting bit is that all three iPhone models are said to feature slimmer bezels and smaller notches, emphasis ours:
    An unnamed industry source added that Apple has decided to remove the notch "from 2019 models," suggesting the third-generation iPhone X could be the first model with a truly full-screen design.
    The report claims each iPhone will have Face ID, but it's unclear how Apple would manage to fit the required TrueDepth sensors on the front of the devices without a notch. The report speculates that Apple could drill holes into the display itself, or use patented multi-layer Black Matrix technology.

Barclays analysts have also predicted the trio of new iPhone models released in 2018 could have smaller notches. ET News previously said Apple was exploring ways to combine a face recognition module with a camera module.

Apple removing the notch on the iPhone X is almost certainly its end goal, but as with any supply chain report, the timing of the move is uncertain.

Article Link: Next iPhone X Lineup Said to Feature Smaller Notches, 2019 Models May Ditch Notch Entirely

2. scrapesleon, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018

scrapesleon macrumors 6502

scrapesleon

I want to see how they pull off the all glass display with no notch then truly then we have the dream iPhone

3. fokmik macrumors 68000

Nice so this year will have smaller bezels and smaller notch, and next year even more design changes
    I never heard about Apple to have 3 years in a row this big changes in design
    Well done Apple, finally

4. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

I wonder if everyone on here who supports and claims to like the notch, will be refusing to buy the 2019 onwards iPhones as they no longer have this feature...?! ;-)

5. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

Will have to wait until 2019 then, me and my trusty ol' 6S.

6. MacFan23 macrumors 6502

7. Murkrage macrumors newbie

Murkrage

Thank god I bought the 8, that'll definitely last me until 2019. Right?

*looks at iOS 11*

Oh... yeah, as long as the software works

8. AutisticGuy macrumors member

This is totally speculative. Heck, I think this a possibility, but that doesn't make it a reality. Just more people throwing darts to see if they hit the board.

9. obitow macrumors member

obitow

To be fair, I NEVER saw anyone claim to like the notch, only that they don't care.

10. javisan macrumors regular

People, don't get your hopes up. The only reason we are dealing with notches and FaceID is because Apple failed at incorporating the touch ID behind the screen. Talking now about incorporating FaceID behind the screen is crazy talk, it won't happen anytime soon.

11. xkam1x macrumors member

They could place the sensors under the display, pointing towards the top of the phone. Then use mirror to reflect the image from front of the phone to the sensors. Current sensor optics are not designed for this but it is possible for Apple to manufacture custom lenses to make that happen.

This will require much smaller opening then the width of the lenses they have currently.

12. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Who writes these reports?

It's not really solid intel, and it's information that all of the people on MR could kind of guess at.

Isn't it kind of stating an obvious upgrade path?

13. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

Hey Apple: while you're shrinking the notch, how about shrinking the price as well?

14. MacFan23 macrumors 6502

I dunno, I have sources who say they'll feature improved processors and better cameras. Sounds legit to me.

15. cansuds macrumors regular

cansuds

smaller notch design :) I don't want notch design!

16. manu chao macrumors 603

No, it won't. The cameras have to go somewhere.

17. cknibbs macrumors member

No notch > notch > giant bezels

I’d love to see no notch, but I’ll still take the notch over giant bezels on the top and bottom of the device.

18. i_Droid macrumors newbie

If they pull it off in 2019, I'm coming back to iPhone.

19. Phone Junky macrumors 6502a

20. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I like the notch versus our current option of having an asymmetric bezel and a taller phone to compensate (or a shorter screen, if you want.)

21. Cmdrx3 macrumors member

I don't care, I'm still not paying £1000 for a phone.

22. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

What? Nobody likes the notch itself. They just like this compromise better than other possible compromises, considering the available tech.

23. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

I was expecting one more year due to the technical challenges of pulling this off, but I am fine with it either way. I don't mind the notch at all and I think it looks futuristic. Ultimately though, I am buying an iPhone for the build quality, best performance, and of course, iOS. Notch or no notch, cool by me.

24. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

False. Apple has directly come out and said they never tried the Touch ID under screen and instead decided to scrap fingerprint authentication for Face ID from the beginning.