iPhone X Space Grey is a fundamentally flawed product

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Juan007, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

If you have a space grey iPhone X, try this test at home. Turn off the lights, fumble around with your phone so you lose track of its orientation, then try to turn it on.

PROBLEM: You have no idea which side is front or back, which way is up or down. There is no home button to orient the phone. You have a 75% chance of getting it wrong on the space grey. So here is what happens:

25% chance - You guessed right, good job.

25% chance - Screen turns on but upside down, flip it over. Ok, not so bad.

25% chance - You're staring at the back of a phone, oops. After a while flip it over, you're oriented correctly now.

25% chance - You're staring at the back of a phone, oops. After a while flip it over, now it's upside down! So rotate again. It's not your lucky day.

This is a DISASTER for usability and I frankly can't believe Apple released the space grey version of this phone. Apple probably knows about this flaw, that's why they gave our white phones to reviewers during this cycle.

It's less of a problem if you use a case, but you shouldn't need to use a case to make your phone not terrible.

2. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

3. mizzourah macrumors regular

4. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

So I guess the protruding camera on the back wasn’t enough to tell you the back of the phone from the front. Odd what people complain about these days.

5. Juan007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Juan007

I shouldn't need to feel around for a camera bump to orient my phone. This was something simple to do with all previous 9 iPhones, now it's a big step back. I do feel this is a fundamental design flaw and I will be exchanging my space grey for a white phone or returning it altogether.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I keep mine in my front pocket, screen faced in and upside down. When I pull my X out of my pocket it is always ready to go.

This is a non issue.

7. taylor354 macrumors newbie

taylor354

you’ve got a single power button right under your thumb when you pick it up the right way, surely that’s no different than trying to find the Touch ID sensor with a finger?

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I was about to post this.

Also, in the dark, I can’t see the white back of the phone either so...

9. mcdj, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017

mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

FYI, I picked up my iPhone 7 upside down and backwards in the dark regularly this past year. Somehow I survived.

But I guess if you’re bored and need to regularly post some kind of comment, do what you gotta do.

*EDIT* AMAZON GLOWING LOGO STICKER! PROBLEM SOLVED! SOMEONE CALL TIM AND TELL HIM HE CAN HAVE HIS JOB BACK!

https://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Apple-Color-Changer-Regular/dp/B01LZVLSTZ
    [​IMG]

10. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

Hahahahaha!!!!! It's actually exactly the same "problem" if you use a case with either colour iPhone X... Also exactly the same "problem" as with my current Space Grey iPhone SE that's also in a case. Mind you, given that the official case from Apple has the cutout at the bottom for cable access and audio egress, I'd say that getting the iPhone into the correct orientation is a rather simple affair.

Even without a case, it only takes a tap or two and a rotation or two (or not), and frankly, how often are you sat with your phone in the pitch dark after having spun it around and rotated it randomly before putting it down? You'd struggle to see the silver back in darkness anyway. Puhlease... First world problem for a spoiled brat?

They gave out silver ones to press because that's the new colour and is more bling. It's like any car manufacturer - whether you like their colours or not, they always have one that's used as their launch and promo colour.

11. vannibombonato macrumors 6502

Honestly, when I’ve read the title I was like “facepalm”...

But as faceid only works on one side, the guy actually has a point...

12. Five_Oh macrumors regular

Five_Oh

This. Also, if it's in darkness like the OP says, what difference would the color make?

13. alFR macrumors 68020

But feeling around for the home button is OK as per your OP which implies that is how you orient your previous iPhones:
    :rolleyes:

14. ukms macrumors regular

ukms

I understand Apple have finally admitted a massive error with this and are offering refunds or a swap for all affected customers. You just need to contact Apple support.

15. will.s87 macrumors member

will.s87

16. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

No, he really doesn't. It's no different to any other black phone ever made, and frankly just a tad ridiculous. Anyway, mine will have a case that has an up and down orientation so a moot point, but even without I hardly see it as an issue. Who the hell randomly spins and rotates their phone before putting it down anyway?! lol

17. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

18. johnnylam macrumors member

johnnylam

Seriously right? It's so annoying smh

19. djrm macrumors 6502

djrm

And the award for the dumbest post of the day goes to........ :eek:

20. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

21. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The OP said the following yesterday.

"Just got my X a few hours ago and I have to say that it's incredible. By far the best phone ever made, I'm astonished on just how great the iPhone X is. It's a phone worthy of Steve Jobs, if Steve were here today he would be proud. GOOD JOB Apple, you have done it again!"

22. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Haha people really need to find a hobby or something. I never even thought about this.

23. will.s87 macrumors member

will.s87

If I had my Jet Black 7 plus in the same situation, it would be the same issue you bring up. You state that you shouldn't have to "feel" for the camera bump to orient the phone but in the original post you mentioned the home button. :rolleyes:

24. Turtle69Turtle macrumors regular

Turtle69Turtle

Wow, thanks for sharing man. This is a deal breaker for me. I’m cancelling my preorder. Can’t believe Apple would drop the ball so hard on something so simple.

Do you think they will bring this up in the national news like they did with the note 7 disaster last year?

Good thing i wasn’t charged yet

We need this post stickied!