Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amolediphone

Suspended
Sep 9, 2017
[doublepost=1505012291][/doublepost]Android phones could REALLY do with this - have you seen the hideous line of notification icons on the bar? -_-

Reactions: jimbo1mcm

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
But the iPhone X can be essentially full screen while e.g. browsing in Safari and STILL show the time/battery etc which is situated around the sensors at the top. Doesn't need to be in some "full screen" mode. It's always full screen! On the Galaxy S8, you have wasted space to the left and right of the earpiece/sensors. It's funny how the S8 already looks dated to me with that huge bezel after seeing the new iPhone. :)

It won't be "full screen" b/c your Safari page, YouTube video, etc. aren't going to cut off words/images to accommodate the notch. You'll still have the "status bar" area using that space.

Reactions: jamesrick80

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Steve would have never allowed the notch
I actually cannot imagine perfectionist Steve to EVER contemplate, for even a split second, those awkward and unsightly camera bumps we've been enduring for a couple of years. Also, they seem to be getting bigger and more obnoxious every year.

I'm convinced he would have instantly dismissed any such prototypes, and faster than you can say NO WAY!!!. Those bumps are a major aesthetic flaw that I have a hard time imagining Steve compromising on.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Apple needs to fire it's current designers and hire the Galaxy team from Samsung.

Why? I like much of what Samsung's designers have done, but nothing beats the way Apple has eked out extra screen real estate with this design. From a design perspective, this seems an easy winner.
[doublepost=1505019995][/doublepost]
I actually cannot imagine perfectionist Steve to EVER contemplate, for even a split second, those awkward and unsightly camera bumps we've been enduring for a couple of years. Also, they seem to be getting bigger and more obnoxious every year.

I'm convinced he would have instantly dismissed any such prototypes, and faster than you can say NO WAY!!!. Those bumps are a major aesthetic flaw that I have a hard time imagining Steve compromising on.

They are a choice, not a flaw. If you use your phone without a case, a protruding camera is worse than a non-protruding camera. However, if you use your phone with a case, a protruding camera is far superior (up to a point, which hasn't been exceeded here) because the protrusion fits in the camera cutout of the case, allowing the phone body to be thinner overall. If the camera must be a fixed thickness (which it does at the quality level selected), there are only two choices: (1) use a thicker phone body so the camera doesn't protrude, or (2) let the camera protrude. At some point in the iPhone's evolution, Apple noticed that most people use cases. That isn't necessarily what Apple would prefer, but it's the reality. And given that, the protrusion is optimal so as to not unnecessarily increase the phone's thickness.

Reactions: louiek

macs4nw

macrumors 601
.....They are a choice, not a flaw. If you use your phone without a case, a protruding camera is worse than a non-protruding camera. However, if you use your phone with a case, a protruding camera is far superior (up to a point, which hasn't been exceeded here) because the protrusion fits in the camera cutout of the case, allowing the phone body to be thinner overall. If the camera must be a fixed thickness (which it does at the quality level selected), there are only two choices: (1) use a thicker phone body so the camera doesn't protrude, or (2) let the camera protrude. At some point in the iPhone's evolution, Apple noticed that most people use cases. That isn't necessarily what Apple would prefer, but it's the reality. And given that, the protrusion is optimal so as to not unnecessarily increase the phone's thickness.
Well, I gotta hand it to you, that's a reasonable explanation, doesn't make the bumps less ugly, but it's a possible thought process Ive and Co could have entertained.

I personally continue to believe Apple chose to compromise aesthetics for a thinner phone and a better camera.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Wonder where other indicators will go, like Bluetooth, DND, orientation lock etc?
The notch on the right is two lines high (see network indicator) and chances are that the left notch is as well. So more than enough room for the (redesigned) indicators you mention.

iamshine

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2012
How does landscape mode look like when I view video or youtube in full screen? The edge of the screen will stop right below the notch and leaving the ears black-out?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
But the iPhone X can be essentially full screen while e.g. browsing in Safari and STILL show the time/battery etc which is situated around the sensors at the top. Doesn't need to be in some "full screen" mode. It's always full screen! On the Galaxy S8, you have wasted space to the left and right of the earpiece/sensors. It's funny how the S8 already looks dated to me with that huge bezel after seeing the new iPhone. :)
What about landscape mode? I assume the whole space around the notch will be blanked off when using it in landscape mode(effectively making the screen smaller) as the alternative of having a notch out of the content would be ridiculous

wozmatic

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2014
LOL at whoever designed this.

RIP to Steve Jobs, probably for the best he doesn't have to see this.

iphone-x-status-bar-2.jpg

The alignment, layout, and spacing looks like something I'd make when I first learned how to use Photoshop in grade 6.

Reactions: Gudi and Rob_2811

SidricTheViking

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2014
Just one simple question. (For what it’s worth, I’m ok with the notch.)
How will ‘tap to go to top of page’ work? Will we tap either side of the notch or will the notch also be tappable? Any thoughts?...o_O

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
This has confirmed that I don't want the iPhone 8, I can't ignore the notch. The UI elements look so out of place :eek:
I have a hard time believing Jony Ive could have thought that the notch looks beautiful, especially for an anniversary edition iPhone and how Federighi could have thought it looks great in terms of the UI side.

Edit: If I see Ive explaining his notch inspiration at the keynote, I think I might actually puke.

It really doesn't matter. You (or at least some others like you you complain about the notch) will be one of the first to buy it (if you lucky to get one) and then we will be reading here how in fact they look nicer then you though. Remember "ugly" antenna bands?
[doublepost=1505041680][/doublepost]
This is absolutely terrible design. Let's hope it isn't the real deal..

Again.... we hear the exact comment every single time an iPhone is about to be anounced. And then we hear how beautiful it is. Typical MacRumors community.
[doublepost=1505041885][/doublepost]
Actually, we'd prefer it if the software made this nice hardware more seamless by putting a black bar beneath the status bar icons. It's quite simple and in no way mad.

So then you get a black bar "bezel" on the top and non on the bottom? I don't think so.
[doublepost=1505042082][/doublepost]
I love that everyone hates it..

More for meee!!!

I wouldn't hold my breath. History should have taught you that they will be first on the line to buy one.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
A reference to a phone with a much better design than the ugly notch. The iPhone has bezels all around...at least Samsung actually can be considered edgeless on the left and right. There is no such thing as a chin and forehead when they are as small as they are on the S8. The real chin and forehead is on last year's iPhone models.

I have Galaxy S8, and obviously is going on eBay for this. Samsung have improvised their design, but from what I see so far with the leaked design, Apple have a winner here. And yes, Galaxy 8 does have chin and forehead, and what they refer to as infinity is not really infinity. It does have the same thin bezel on the sides as the new iPhone. It is just a cleaver trick they have used with the curved display to make it look that way.

matthewhuk

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2009
UK
So on a Mac the time is on the right, which we are all so used to automatically glancing at, yet on iOS it's on the left? Rather strange lack of continuity there!

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
What about landscape mode? I assume the whole space around the notch will be blanked off when using it in landscape mode(effectively making the screen smaller) as the alternative of having a notch out of the content would be ridiculous

Almost certainly. Wont stop them claiming the screen size as measured from the bottom corner to the top corner of one of the 'ears' though, despite the fact that it isn't really usable screen real estate.

I expect the actual usable screen real estate (as in the amount available to developers for content/UI) to be similar to the current Plus models.

The big win here being 5.5 inch screen in a smaller form factor as opposed to more screen real estate than any other iPhone.

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
It sure here, but will reserve judgement to see how iOS 11 makes use of the screen estate, especially in landscape mode. I'm mentally porting current iOS to it and it's not working. I'm hoping for an iOS for IPhone section a la iOS 11 for iPad at WWDC.

vlad_djkax

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2016
Brasil
Goodbye carrier name! Finally. As if I constantly need to be told what network I’m on… What a waste of space.

I dunno if / when I'll get this new thing (I'm a 5/5S/SE form factor fanboy :D ).. but if the carrier name is also gone in the remaining iPhone versions... boy, it will be hugely welcome.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Yes, but instead we're getting an odd notch at the top and none on the bottom, so it's already asymmetrical.

We will have to wait and see how it looks in real life, but I would much better have a full display without a black bar. Black bar would make it look like a bezel. I don't think I will have problems with the notch. You can see it already becoming an iconic part of iPhones.

vlad_djkax

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2016
Brasil
What vexes me is the location of the time. It should be on the right, like on MacOS, not the left. It's a very minor thing, but it would take no effort to fix and would make the ecosystem as a whole more consistent.
OTOH, the battery indicator has always been on the right side of the iPhone screen, so... ;)

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK

It is absolutely true. Everyone I know who uses an iPhone, at work, friends and relatives, they all complain about the camera bump........... NOT.
People care about how good the pictures they take are. In fact if there is any complain I have really heard about the iPhone in term of design is about these super thick bezels. I think It is a very very small minority of people who are quite sensitive to little details who are bothered by camera bump.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.