iPhone X Supply Estimated to Remain Extremely Tight Until Next Year Due to Earlier Production Issues

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 24, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

iPhone X shipments to customers will total around 20 million units through the end of the year, suggesting availability of the smartphone will be extremely tight through the holiday shopping season, according to Nikkei Asian Review.

[​IMG]

The reduction, said to be only half of Apple's originally planned amount for this year, is reportedly due to production issues with the iPhone X's new TrueDepth camera and 3D facial recognition system that powers Face ID and Animoji.

The good news is that Apple's manufacturers have supposedly improved their yield rate, but only towards the end of September. iPhone X is currently being produced at an estimated rate of 10 million units per month.

Apple is also believed to have already started negotiations with other manufacturers over additional production of certain parts, and there is a chance that output volumes could improve rapidly, according to the report.

Today's report echoes what we've heard a seemingly countless number of times from multiple industry observers.

Yuanta Investment Consulting analyst Jeff Pu, for example, originally estimated there would be 45 million iPhone X devices available to purchase. His latest prediction has 36 million units available through the end of the year.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo also cut his iPhone X shipment forecast for the fourth quarter to 25-30 million units, down from 30-35 million. He expects 2-3 million units will be shipped into distribution channels ahead of the launch.

iPhone X pre-orders begin Friday at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time on Apple.com, while the device formally launches November 3.

Article Link: iPhone X Supply Estimated to Remain Extremely Tight Until Next Year Due to Earlier Production Issues

2. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Same news, different day. It will be what it will be. Good luck.

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Good... gives me more time to think about (uhm... try to convince myself) buying one

4. Aston441 macrumors 65816

5. mango316 macrumors regular

6. i.mac macrumors 6502a

PLease, let me order mine first, I’m currently on a 6+ model. There will be more for everyone else later. Thanks.

7. GaryMumford macrumors 6502

GaryMumford

How can this STILL be news? How many times do we need to be told? Supply will be tight, OK, I got it

8. arubinst macrumors 6502

I'm in Switzerland. Will pre-orders begin here at 12:01 a.m. Central European Time or will I have to wait until 9:01 am next morning in order to place my order?

9. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Tight supply, no supply, some supply, OK supply, tight supply...

At least these rumors will be done in a few days when we actually know which guess was right.

10. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Have to keep the hype up.

11. xalea macrumors regular

xalea

Maybe they will eventually realize you actually have to have a product to sell to continue making money.

12. SwissGuy93 macrumors 6502

Those are just some of the reports from recent years:

„A hiccup in the supply chain has slowed production of Apple's anticipated iPhone 6, leaving suppliers scrabbling to produce enough displays to prepare for the expected launch of the device, Reuters reported“

„KGI expects Apple to have between 1.5 and 2.5 million iPhone 6s Plus units ready to ship for September 25th.“

„Both iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus might be facing supply shortage issues just weeks before their imminent arrival to the smartphone market.“

All reports sound dire. Let's just wait and see until friday.

13. Sasparilla, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017

Sasparilla macrumors 65816

This is about what we've been hearing, although the ramping up seems to be happening fast.

>> Apple is also believed to have already started negotiations with other manufacturers over additional production of certain parts <<

LG just announced they have a surplus of smartphone displays in the Pixel 2 XL size....

It does give one pause that Apple was supposedly looking to source next fall's OLEDs from LG...be careful Apple. LG is looked down upon my much of the Android world because of quality issues with their smartphones and components (the Pixel 2 XL display issues add to that).

14. SwissGuy93 macrumors 6502

Preorders start 09.01 Swiss time. That is 00.01 California time.

15. anthorumor macrumors 6502a

16. Aston441 macrumors 65816

You haven't been around here all that long? Controlled leaks and fake shortages are a key part of their marketing. After all, they are the greatest marketers the world has ever known.

17. SwissGuy93 macrumors 6502

Just can't read it anymore...same old stories each year. It just feels like they one text where they can change the name of the iPhone, components and the numbers.

18. SAIRUS macrumors 6502a

19. grimmace macrumors regular

Another 3am wake up call for east coast USA. I just hope they don't all disappear due to those with upgrade plans. I only upgrade every 3 years or worthy form factor - 1, 4, 6 - 10.

20. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

And.... you'll realize there are people like this who hype up this myth all the time.

21. vajrakagyu macrumors member

vajrakagyu

I really don't get this type of poor analysis and news that defy common logic...
    The article says that:
    1. Production started July 2017
    2. Main issues resolved by end of September 2017
    3. Production rate now estimated at 10.000.0000 units per month.
    So, how may units were produced during August and September? Since problems are resolved since end of September and the rate is 10 mil units per month, October + November + December = 30 million units + units produced during August & September. How do we get instead to this assumption that the article is based on: "iPhone X shipments to customers will total around 20 million units through the end of the year"???

22. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Remember, to become a reliable source of information, you need to include the phrase "XXXXX may happen", followed shortly by the phrase "XXXXX may not happen"

23. Aston441 macrumors 65816

Did you miss where ALL the LG manufactured Pixel displays are having severe Burn-In after two weeks lol?

ETA
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...gating-reports-of-pixel-2-xl-display-burn-in/

24. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

I’m gonna pre-order one, even though I’m planning to return it after a few months. When I get it, I get it.

Want to play with a shiny new toy to see the ins and outs, however, the notch is not for me.

Zero down on T-Mobile? Thanks John Legere and Jump

25. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

I heard from a guy who knows a guy to definitely wait until next year before getting an iPhone X. :rolleyes: