Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you find the iPhone X design to be ugly or attractive?

• Attractive; I like the mostly full screen display, I think it looks chic, and futuristic

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Ugly; I think the full screen display is ruined by the notch, and the side bezels are still visible

Votes: 97 41.5%

• Total voters

StrawberryG

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2017
I think it's meant to switch over Android users as it looks like a typical Android phone. Generic.

Apple really sucks now. Its UI/UX design and experience lost its touch and simplicity. I miss when Apple was originally intended for use for the creatives, and the old school look really had an emphasis of the original Xerox icons. No 3-d renderings of app logos.

Now, they're trying to expand their designs for the general public who often have no artistic taste whatsoever. But, they can mask their faces with those silly looking emoji animals.

Last edited:

KavalierMalta

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2017
Malta
In my opinion, the notch is not that big of a deal. When you look at the screen, you won't be bothered at all with it.

So far the iPhoneX, is the best iPhone that I have ever owned.

No regrets at all!

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Had my first hands on with an X yesterday in the Apple store.

I was pleasantly surprised with the design. Videos and photos don’t do it justice and it’s much easier to hold and use than I imagined it would be. As a Plus user, I found it a touch too small but no doubt i’d get used to that very quickly. I found the notch much less intrusive than I imagined too. The gestures seemed quite natural and I didn’t end up jabbing for the home button.

Based on design alone, i’d buy it. But even a quick play showed it doesn’t have enough in terms of unique features over my current iPhone to warrant replacing it just yet. The OLED screen wasn’t significantly more impressive than LCD in my opinion. Holding them side by side, the difference was minimal.

One thing I do know now - i’ll never preorder again. I’ll wait until availability is such that I can walk in and buy it - as I could have done yesterday - so I get a hands on first to decide whether it’s really worth it. Strip the marketing and buzz away and it’s really clear that it’s basically a more modern looking version of what I already have. I’d imagine next years revision of the X will be significantly better future proofed in terms of performance - in the way the 6s was over the 6. So i’ll take the plunge then if i’m impressed enough.

Reactions: Vanilla35 and dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Had my first hands on with an X yesterday in the Apple store.

I was pleasantly surprised with the design. Videos and photos don’t do it justice and it’s much easier to hold and use than I imagined it would be. As a Plus user, I found it a touch too small but no doubt i’d get used to that very quickly. I found the notch much less intrusive than I imagined too. The gestures seemed quite natural and I didn’t end up jabbing for the home button.

Based on design alone, i’d buy it. But even a quick play showed it doesn’t have enough in terms of unique features over my current iPhone to warrant replacing it just yet. The OLED screen wasn’t significantly more impressive than LCD in my opinion. Holding them side by side, the difference was minimal.

One thing I do know now - i’ll never preorder again. I’ll wait until availability is such that I can walk in and buy it - as I could have done yesterday - so I get a hands on first to decide whether it’s really worth it. Strip the marketing and buzz away and it’s really clear that it’s basically a more modern looking version of what I already have. I’d imagine next years revision of the X will be significantly better future proofed in terms of performance - in the way the 6s was over the 6. So i’ll take the plunge then if i’m impressed enough.

Did the same and elected not to replace my 7+. If you are not totally sure, a physical side by side is always a good option! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.