Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

le_cagou

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2017
I'm not sold on AMOLED. not at all. actually rather disappointed. the colours are more intense, yes, and it might use less energy (at least in theory, there's no way for me to verfiy that), but the viewing angle is absolutely horrible compared to at least the last 5 generations of iphones. if this is the best amoled can do - and that's what they are telling us - then I don't understand why some people kept asking for it. I'm not saying it's not usable, it's still a nice screen. but in direct comparison, lcd is way better.

rmarinheira

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
Also, keep in mind. This OLED display is unique to the iPhone. It was built to Apple’s specifications which is how they were able to mitigate the burn-in issue and the blue shift. There aren’t any Android devices with these screens.

Say what??? How come Apple was able to mitigate something that is inherent to OLED? It is a matter of physics, there are no miracles here! The manufacturer of the OLED panels (Samsung) can't miitigate it, as it is hardware related and inherent to the organic leds used, and according to this post, Apple manages to solve it. How? And the blue shift, another OLED characteristic that everyone reported to be present on the X??
This is the kind of customers Apple just loves.
Apple buys panels from Samguns (not even the last gen, those are reserved for Samsung flagships, and out of the blue these are the best panels, and burn-in and color shifting disappeared just because the panels are installed on an iPhone.
Ridiculous!

Apple does indeed manufacture great pieces of hardware, but let's be a little rational over things.
I am not sold to the X due to several reasons (arguable, as they might be a deal breaker for me, but not for other people), although no one can state the X is not a good phone.
Making unsubstantiated statements is just not a good idea...

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
Every time I see a note 8’s screen I think “wow, I’m so happy that I use iOS.”

See but this isn't an Android vs IOS debate...we're all adults here and that's rather childish to speak of which OS is better...Naturaly we are in an Apple forum, so yes we all like IOS!

This is based on the screens, and sorry to say...The Note 8's screen blows the iPhone X away! I won't debate because I own an X and not a note 8, but I've seen them many time next to each other and yup...Note 8 wins every time.

Ammar666

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2015
There's noticeable black smearing in low brightness on my iPhone X. It's there on the S8 too but not to the same degree as on the X.

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
The problem is, most people are used to seeing displays that are bright, vivid, over-saturated and designed to "pop". Put a calibrated TV next to one that's fresh from a shop and you'll see that it's generally darker, more muted, more yellow than blue, and more balanced. It is technically more accurate, but that's all down to preference at the end of the day.

Equally, the iPhone X display next to something like the Galaxy S8 is equally "underwhelming" according to a lot of people. Again, that's preference, but speaking as somebody who has to use calibrated monitors at work sometimes, I can say that the X has a very, very accurate screen. I've said it before and heard it said here - images almost look painted on. I don't like bright screens or overly-saturated colours so it suits me perfectly.
[doublepost=1511259042][/doublepost]
There's noticeable black smearing in low brightness on my iPhone X. It's there on the S8 too but not to the same degree as on the X.
A mate of mine has an S8 with the same smearing. I've not noticed anything on my X yet though.

Reactions: Djentleman

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
The OLED panel is the most disappointing part of the X release. The notch ended up being fine, as did FaceID and the lack of a home button. But I was really expecting more wow from the screen. Not only did it not wow me, but I found myself preferring the LED panel on my X Plus.

The OLED did not look any better unless we were in an indoor situation where brightness was maximized. That's the only time when you could see the difference with the true blacks. In normal lighting (auto brightness at everyday levels), the blacks on my 7 Plus looked just as dark. Colors on my 7 Plus were just as good. The X may have had a very very minimal advantage in some situations, but not enough to say it's a much better screen.

It's no surprise that Apple is already investigating QLED/microLED tech.

I remember the first time I saw an S8+, I was blown away by the screen. It was just gorgeous, but unfortunately, tied to Android.

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
iPhone LCDs were terrific. The OLED is not a huge change for me. The thin bezels are though. Having a full screen just feels so much more modern.

^This. This is the win. Why I lvoe my iPhone X, thin bezels all display. I can't go back to phat bezel phones. When im watching videos feels like im just holding a screen its fantastic!

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
The OLED panel is the most disappointing part of the X release. The notch ended up being fine, as did FaceID and the lack of a home button. But I was really expecting more wow from the screen. Not only did it not wow me, but I found myself preferring the LED panel on my X Plus.

The OLED did not look any better unless we were in an indoor situation where brightness was maximized. That's the only time when you could see the difference with the true blacks. In normal lighting (auto brightness at everyday levels), the blacks on my 7 Plus looked just as dark. Colors on my 7 Plus were just as good. The X may have had a very very minimal advantage in some situations, but not enough to say it's a much better screen.

It's no surprise that Apple is already investigating QLED/microLED tech.

I remember the first time I saw an S8+, I was blown away by the screen. It was just gorgeous, but unfortunately, tied to Android.
You need to remember that OLED is actually very old technology in the scheme of things. New types of self-emissive display (QLED as a brand is not) will come along and improve things even further, but I do think that Apple went with colour accuracy rather than vibrancy. "Good" is subjective.

Reactions: NovemberWhiskey

Djentleman

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
UK
For me, it’s just a strikingly great display. And I say that having used True Tone since day one. The fact I can clearly see my screen in daylight now without it even being full bright, means a lot. And photos just look stunning.

It is subjective, though.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
after all the hype over OLED screen for the iphone, i can barely tell the difference between the OLED on iphone x vs the old retina LCD iphone displays

quite underwhelming imo

I’m not really a tech geek so I’m not that critical when it comes to specs. I much prefer a fun and enjoyable user experience.

But with that being said, side by side the iPhone X blows away the other iPhone including the 7 (which we have here also) and the newer 8 plus.

The app icons look rich and almost pop out at you. The text is crisp and bold. Much better contrast. Side by side, huge difference imo.

And lol viewing angles? It’s not a living room TV with chairs all around it. It’s a phone right in front of my face, so I really don’t experience all this color shifting people complain about either. Just enjoying a great phone really.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
I don't have an iPhone but am disappointed in the fact Apple haven't made use of OLED's features. They've simply substituded LCD for OLED.

I thought they'd have used the opportunity to have some sort of always-on display, or a new way to display notifications or something.

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
I don't have an iPhone but am disappointed in the fact Apple haven't made use of OLED's features. They've simply substituded LCD for OLED.

I thought they'd have used the opportunity to have some sort of always-on display, or a new way to display notifications or something.
An AoD or new way to display notifications has nothing to do with screen technology. It's just software at the end of the day.

Reactions: Djentleman

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Coming from a 7 Plus, I think the X display is a big step up. It looks clean, crisp, nicely balanced, perfect blacks, terrific contrast, HDR movies and photos look fantastic, and the image is right under the top glass. The higher touch response time really pays off with gesture animations. So buttery smooth.

It’s a winner for sure.

yet how come so many people here say - meh? i believe most people should notice your points, no?

Reactions: mattysmith118

Djentleman

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
UK
yet how come so many people here say - meh? i believe most people should notice your points, no?

Yet so many others say it’s a step up. It’s subjective at the end of the day. No two people see something like a screen the same way. You decide what you like or dislike and you make you final assessment. To me, it’s a great increase over my 7 Plus.

Tommy c

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2012
Pocono PA
I’m not really a tech geek so I’m not that critical when it comes to specs. I much prefer a fun and enjoyable user experience.

But with that being said, side by side the iPhone X blows away the other iPhone including the 7 (which we have here also) and the newer 8 plus.

The app icons look rich and almost pop out at you. The text is crisp and bold. Much better contrast. Side by side, huge difference imo.

And lol viewing angles? It’s not a living room TV with chairs all around it. It’s a phone right in front of my face, so I really don’t experience all this color shifting people complain about either. Just enjoying a great phone really.
You mean the whole family is not watching movies on your phone lol?

Reactions: iapplelove

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If I had my druthers, I'd choose LCD over OLED, but since I cannot, I'm using the OLED. I will say that Apple's implementation is top notch in so far as being nearly identical to their LCD. Time will tell how it performs over the long haul however.

Reactions: CharlesShaw

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Say what??? How come Apple was able to mitigate something that is inherent to OLED? It is a matter of physics, there are no miracles here! The manufacturer of the OLED panels (Samsung) can't miitigate it, as it is hardware related and inherent to the organic leds used, and according to this post, Apple manages to solve it. How? And the blue shift, another OLED characteristic that everyone reported to be present on the X??
This is the kind of customers Apple just loves.
Apple buys panels from Samguns (not even the last gen, those are reserved for Samsung flagships, and out of the blue these are the best panels, and burn-in and color shifting disappeared just because the panels are installed on an iPhone.
Ridiculous!

Apple does indeed manufacture great pieces of hardware, but let's be a little rational over things.
I am not sold to the X due to several reasons (arguable, as they might be a deal breaker for me, but not for other people), although no one can state the X is not a good phone.
Making unsubstantiated statements is just not a good idea...

Or perhaps you can read some articles about why apples display has blown every other mobile display out of the water according to displaymate, or even what they did to make them so much better than the android offerings.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhoneX_ShootOut_1a.htm

http://www.t-gaap.com/2017/11/16/st...y-is-not-just-like-any-other-samsung-offering

Reactions: vddobrev
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.