Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
For those of you that have purchased the new iPhone X. What do you think of the Samsung OLED vs LCD?

It is a nice display. I wouldn't say it stands out as better than the iPhone 7 Plus I had previously.
It does the job well, so did the screen on the 7.

I'd say in everyday use, there is no real difference to people.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I could take it or leave it but I do like being able to tap the screen and turn it on and the potential to increase battery life by using black wallpaper.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Absolutely and cannot go back to LCD. I love the blacks!!! And Apple did a great job with the calibration. Now time to save up for an OLED TV!

OLED TV is worth it even more, only except could be if you watch TV often in very very bright settings, LCD could then have the slight edge. But if you primarily watch in cosy lighting settings then there is simply no competition for OLED...And don't be fooled by Samsung with its cheap marketing ploy, QLED is currently simply LCD tv. The actual QLED technology isn't ready for consumer use for a very long time, yet Samsung cheapened the reference by applying it to its LCD tvs...

Leon88

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Okay, so following up on my trip to the Apple store. Long story short, the replacement unit had a slightly less yellow tint to it but had worse brightness uniformity (top half was dimmer) than my current one. The top left notch also had a nasty pink tint when viewed off angle. I asked for another unit but was refused so I guess I’ll have to live with my current unit.

When I showed my screen to the Genius staff, she agreed it was “slightly yellow” but told me that OLED panels have more variation across the board and that it’s supposed to be normal. Least to say I am disappointed by their service because there were clearly much better panels on the demo units in store. I’m still a non-believer on OLED screens for color accuracy.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
OLED TV is worth it even more, only except could be if you watch TV often in very very bright settings, LCD could then have the slight edge. But if you primarily watch in cosy lighting settings then there is simply no competition for OLED...And don't be fooled by Samsung with its cheap marketing ploy, QLED is currently simply LCD tv. The actual QLED technology isn't ready for consumer use for a very long time, yet Samsung cheapened the reference by applying it to its LCD tvs...

No way I’d buy Samsung QLED. I would buy Sony over Samsung any day. I will wait a while until Sony has more OLED models and at a more affordable price. Last year I bought Sony’s top 4K HDR model which should keep me happy for few years.

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
I asked for another unit but was refused so I guess I’ll have to live with my current unit.

Haha, what?
They really had the balls to admit that there is a problem and that there are iPhone X without the problem, but you can f*ck off anyway?

That's brutal. I definitely wouldn't accept that.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Okay, so following up on my trip to the Apple store. Long story short, the replacement unit had a slightly less yellow tint to it but had worse brightness uniformity (top half was dimmer) than my current one. The top left notch also had a nasty pink tint when viewed off angle. I asked for another unit but was refused so I guess I’ll have to live with my current unit.

When I showed my screen to the Genius staff, she agreed it was “slightly yellow” but told me that OLED panels have more variation across the board and that it’s supposed to be normal. Least to say I am disappointed by their service because there were clearly much better panels on the demo units in store. I’m still a non-believer on OLED screens for color accuracy.

Haha, what?
They really had the balls to admit that there is a problem and that there are iPhone X without the problem, but you can f*ck off anyway?

I've seen posts on avforums from consumers where they use the consumer laws to their advantage and even after 15 OLED TVs they aren't happy. Not saying it is the case for the OP, but sometimes it just isn't for someone. My standards a clearly lower as weirdly my Plasma was a keeper, as was my next Plasma, as was my OLED tv, and as is my X....I did return my Samsung Galaxy once, but didn't want another one.

Leon88

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Haha, what?

Yes, but I couldn’t be bothered wasting my breath arguing with them any further since they’ve already made up their mind on the matter and kept insisting it was “normal” or they couldn’t see what was wrong with the display. Based on my experience, I’m sure I’m not the only one who was refused a proper replacement unit.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Why would I try again, I actually owned the device. I was given it free from the network as an upgrade. I played with the settings plenty a time. It just is unnatural when on auto and when manually managing it it gets just about ok but then you have to continuously manage it to be able to use it in different conditions. I’m sure some will like that, I just want to use my phone. I don’t even do that with my home cinema setup.

Manufacturing to specifications doesn’t mean it is the same. I’m sorry but that insinuation really demonstrates you have a fundamental misunderstanding and missassociation with how this works.

I agree auto has some ... issues. My roommate turned it off as it sometimes did strange things.

Mfg to spec. Chuckle. Having seen the specs there are options on the Apple version which ... wonder why they went that route. Their choice. Either way, I was expecting better from the X based on all the hype. The notch, the wide corner rounding, the type of OLED screen. Enjoy if you like it. I didn't care for it.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
Black's disappear against the bezel. You cant see 'lit' black screen borders in letter box which is really lovely. It's leagues better in sunlight. Bright AF. My only nit pick would be the off axis color temperature shifts which you adjust too. I'm also a chronic cluster head ache sufferer and haven't had any problems with the X (and I did with the LCD models which is contrary to most reports).

Clogger

Suspended
Jan 12, 2018
I am not sold on the OLED panel, to be honest I think some peoples eye sight might be more susceptible to the colour shifts than others, that's the only logical explanation I can come up with. I notice colour shifts at very slight angles and find it very distracting when using the device. I agree the blacks are nicer on OLEDS but the reality is the majority of web pages and social media apps I use have white backgrounds so I find the pros of OLED out weighed by the cons (colour shifts).

I have compared my X to lots of shop units now and they are all the pretty much the same to me, so again I come to the conclusion it must be some of us are more affected by this than others. Maybe this is why some Apple stores cant see what some of are complaining about maybe ?? With this in mind I see little point in trying for an exchange as I will probably never be happy but will just try and sell the device on.

If rumours are true and and a cheaper version of the X is coming with an LCD display I will get one of those as I really liked the way the X worked.

Reactions: anthony13
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.