Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I keep everything on auto. I find that comfortable to watch under all circumstances and don’t have to tinker with settings all the time.

But you can do what you prefer. There is no such thing as better.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
100% sold. It is far superior to LCD and I’ve always loved Apple’s LCD iPhone’s. This AMOLED panel is amazing! I immediately noticed the super saturated colors on the Galaxies and having this display getting the precision color calibration magic from Apple is so awesome. The most accurate mobile display, but OLED. Can’t get better!

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Just turned off auto brightness on iPhone X. I had it set to on before. It helps a little bit.

So is it better to keep auto brightness on?

It’s better for the phone and the screen to keep it on auto.

OLED is a temporary measure by Apple to calm the restless. Micro Led is coming. You won’t even remember OLED in a couple years. :apple:

Don’t expect MicroLED for at least five years for the iPhone.

ac921ol

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
Samsung has been making oled for a while, and aren’t the X screens, made by Samsung?

I’m fine with the screen. Looks good when watch videos. Noticeable difference, haven’t paid attention to be honest.

Leon88

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I think I'm one of the few who's not sold on the X OLED panel. In fact, I dislike the OLED display. I'm a photographer and I do a ton of photo editing between my 12" MacBook, 13" MacBook Pro, iPad Pro and previously iPhone 7 Plus. What I loved about them was that the color calibration between all 4 of those devices were near identical. I would consistently make edits and move photos between devices with confidence that the color variation would be absolutely minimal. My X display is too warm and making consistent edits on it is near impossible. I would very much prefer if Apple released a model with the same IPS LCD panel used in the 7/8 instead.

I was very disappointed when I received my iPhone X and discovered that my panel was way too warm/yellow, and yes, True Tone and Night Shift are both OFF. I haven't even bothered turning True Tone on because it makes my screen piss yellow. I've spent a long time trying to calibrate my X screen using the Color Filter options to match the colors on my MacBook Pro as closely as possible. Its better now although it's still a tad off (slightly too cool). Asides from color balance issues, my panel also has grey uniformity and brightness inconsistencies. Least to say, I've booked a Genius appointment this Tuesday and am hoping to get a replacement. Fingers crossed the next display is more consistent.

Screen issues aside, the X has been phenomenal. Face ID has pretty much been 100% accurate for me under all sorts of conditions and I do not miss Touch ID. The camera is the main reason why I upgraded and its just a massive improvement over the 7 Plus. Shot this one yesterday (Portrait Mode + Focos App + Lightroom Mobile) and I can see myself leaving my DSLR at home more often now.

Attachments

• IMG_3172.JPG
    IMG_3172.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 247
Reactions: bevsb2 and Stetch

gpoop

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2017
Use an X for a few weeks then grab an 8 or older Iphone. You'll notice the difference like night and day.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I’m not sold yet, and I don’t know if it’s because it’s a wonky screen or not. I don’t have anyone local that has one to compare.

On mine there is a yellow ish hue to it (which is fine), but when tilting the phone 5-10° In either direction, the screen shifts a pinky blue, as you tilt further it’s more a pinky green

In settings
Tilting Roughly 45° Away from me, the top half of has a pinker cast
Tilting roughly 65-70° away from me, top half has a light blue cast, bottom a pinker cast
Roughly 80°, top half has a Pinker cast
85°, has a light blue cast top half
90° Top half looks clear, bottom blueish.

Rocking between 75-90 is horrible, but even tilting a few degrees towards me I can see the bottom shift to blue.

I thought at first it was because I still have the protective plastic on the screen, but even when lifted off the display, it still does it. Attached a video of it

That looks exactly like my iPhone X. The pink and blue shift is less noticeable to me under normal indoor and outdoor lighting. Seem most noticeable when viewing at minimal brightness in a dark room. I’m guessing this is either normal, or within an acceptable range of abnormal for OLED. Maybe I will stop by a store to compare against display models. I don’t like it, but it’s not a dealbreaker for me if that’s just the way it is. I have not noticed anything like that with my LCD based iOS devices. The AMOLED display of my Apple Watch doesn’t have any such issue either.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
That looks exactly like my iPhone X. The pink and blue shift is less noticeable to me under normal indoor and outdoor lighting. Seem most noticeable when viewing at minimal brightness in a dark room. I’m guessing this is either normal, or within an acceptable range of abnormal for OLED. Maybe I will stop by a store to compare against display models. I don’t like it, but it’s not a dealbreaker for me if that’s just the way it is. I have not noticed anything like that with my LCD based iOS devices. The AMOLED display of my Apple Watch doesn’t have any such issue either.

When I was checking out the X against my 7+, I also compared the screen to my roommates Galaxy S8. The X is a poor mans version and bleeds color during shift much worse. The * was set on Basic.
I ended up skipping the X as I disliked the shape. MO.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
When I was checking out the X against my 7+, I also compared the screen to my roommates Galaxy S8. The X is a poor mans version and bleeds color during shift much worse. The * was set on Basic.
Some of us are pleased Apple hasn’t followed the lead of Samsung by making shiny shiny come and get me unnatural colour reproducing displays. But that just shows that it is good that there is competition in the market place, there is something for everyone. What is a poor mans version to you, is an educated version to me...

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Some of us are pleased Apple hasn’t followed the lead of Samsung by making shiny shiny come and get me unnatural colour reproducing displays. But that just shows that it is good that there is competition in the market place, there is something for everyone. What is a poor mans version to you, is an educated version to me...

Try again. On Samsung devices you have several settings for the display. For those who do not want the satuarated or rely on the device selecting for you, Basic is a good choice.
Now back to the bleed / shift. The S8 (and the Note 8 I looked at) do not have anywhere near the shift I saw on the X.

Btw - who do you think makes the X displays?

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA

I’ve seen a Note that looked great, but I wasn’t comparing it against anything. One the other hand I absolutely HATE the curved edges on Galaxy smartphones. Why does anyone think that’s a good idea? Anywho... back to the X: this is a fantastic smartphone that I wouldn’t trade even given this single flaw I described. I have compared it to my iPhone 6 and my mother’s iPhone 8+. I think the ideal for me would be the X with a IPS LCD. The X display looks fantastic in all but the darkest room. I’m not sure what you mean by color bleed.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Try again. On Samsung devices you have several settings for the display. For those who do not want the satuarated or rely on the device selecting for you, Basic is a good choice.
Now back to the bleed / shift. The S8 (and the Note 8 I looked at) do not have anywhere near the shift I saw on the X.

Btw - who do you think makes the X displays?
Why would I try again, I actually owned the device. I was given it free from the network as an upgrade. I played with the settings plenty a time. It just is unnatural when on auto and when manually managing it it gets just about ok but then you have to continuously manage it to be able to use it in different conditions. I’m sure some will like that, I just want to use my phone. I don’t even do that with my home cinema setup.

Manufacturing to specifications doesn’t mean it is the same. I’m sorry but that insinuation really demonstrates you have a fundamental misunderstanding and missassociation with how this works.

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
OLED is only noticeable with blacks. Given the iPhone X's screen is eerily close to my iPhone 8 Plus [with the exception of black blacks] its hard to discern the differences personally. they did not want the oversaturated look but more of a consistent look between all devices so it's familiar and less readjustment.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
OLED is only noticeable with blacks. Given the iPhone X's screen is eerily close to my iPhone 8 Plus [with the exception of black blacks] its hard to discern the differences personally. they did not want the oversaturated look but more of a consistent look between all devices so it's familiar and less readjustment.
And that is a key point - a properly calibrated display should look the same regardless of technology used :) Good point well made.

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
I’ve seen a Note that looked great, but I wasn’t comparing it against anything. One the other hand I absolutely HATE the curved edges on Galaxy smartphones. Why does anyone think that’s a good idea? Anywho... back to the X: this is a fantastic smartphone that I wouldn’t trade even given this single flaw I described. I have compared it to my iPhone 6 and my mother’s iPhone 8+. I think the ideal for me would be the X with a IPS LCD. The X display looks fantastic in all but the darkest room. I’m not sure what you mean by color bleed.

agreed, the curve edge with touch screen is a bad idea. not only that case manufacturers will have to make a serious compromise or two just to let that functionality of touching slide through. PLus from my time of using some samsung galaxies, i never found to even use the edge its more of a gimmick rather than usability.

whereas with iPhones u get a consistent lip across all edges so equal protection... that to me is a dealbreaker , unless the edge provided something USEFUL and relevant rather than "quick opening apps" [mind u this thing is far from one hand holdable for all models due to the elongated ratio even for the smaller S8], the edge is more of a compromise to the design rather than added usability... esp those who wanna chuck a case on will have to still worry about the edge being an open hole potential for shattering/impact

Reactions: sean000

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
agreed, the curve edge with touch screen is a bad idea. not only that case manufacturers will have to make a serious compromise or two just to let that functionality of touching slide through. PLus from my time of using some samsung galaxies, i never found to even use the edge its more of a gimmick rather than usability.

whereas with iPhones u get a consistent lip across all edges so equal protection... that to me is a dealbreaker , unless the edge provided something USEFUL and relevant rather than "quick opening apps" [mind u this thing is far from one hand holdable for all models due to the elongated ratio even for the smaller S8], the edge is more of a compromise to the design rather than added usability... esp those who wanna chuck a case on will have to still worry about the edge being an open hole potential for shattering/impact
I really liked the edge on my S7 Edge, it was a great tickettape for news information etc. Where it went wrong was its implementation; holding it and avoiding accidental presses required a conscious action, the camera looked great when viewed on the phone but the moment it was on a computer screen it was rubbish and fell apart, no good for anything but social media.

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
I couldn't disagree with this statement more. I picked up my 6+ today and I thought I was holding a piece of technology from 1982. The X screen is massively more advanced than the LCD screen of any iPhone. Especially in screen sharpness, color brightness, clarity. etc. I couldn't be more impressed with this OLED screen vs the iPhone LCD screens.

This reason above, the iPhone 6+ doesn't have P3 color gamut capability which is why it looks so blunt in comparison so the screen looks dated and washed out. Apple improved everything on the 8/8+ which is pinnacle for LCD color accuracy and color representation. I knew it because i had a 6s+ which has the same display and it looks meh in front of an iPhone 8/8+. Have a glance at the iPhone 8/8+'s they're eerily similar to the X due to the level of calibration. [i have used an X for about a month before i went back to the 8+ due to software bugs that made it feel incomplete]
[doublepost=1514779585][/doublepost]
I really liked the edge on my S7 Edge, it was a great tickettape for news information etc. Where it went wrong was its implementation; holding it and avoiding accidental presses required a conscious action, the camera looked great when viewed on the phone but the moment it was on a computer screen it was rubbish and fell apart, no good for anything but social media.

That one i will agree, the note edge [original 1-side edge phone] had that aggressive edge that allowed news sport results and messages to be displayed easily on the side panel due to the aggressive curve and it played some nice colors depending on who called you [family? friend? colleague? work mate? for each color] i found those features nice and cool for once.

now that the newer galaxies incorporate a more smoother curve edge [going for better smoother design aspect over all functionality]... im not sure if the edges still have the potential to show that much detail compared to the OG note edge.

what u did say was something i did agree and should have made it more clear on my statement, accidental presses were something i was not fond of, if only they could implement something like what iPad pro's do [palm rejection] it will/may solve the issue of that above, although i think it would be a hard feat to do due to the miniaturized nature of smartphones...

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

Leon88

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
Melbourne, Australia

Consistency across displays is what's important for me. Across all my iPhones, iPads and MacBooks, my X display sticks out like a sore thumb, its far too yellow. If Apple made an X with the same IPS LCD panel as the iPhone 8 i'd ditch OLED in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Martyimac

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Absolutely and cannot go back to LCD. I love the blacks!!! And Apple did a great job with the calibration. Now time to save up for an OLED TV!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.