Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Well, he’s not wrong.

But my favorite thing about the video was the faster multitasking gesture. I hate waiting for the pause, and I am actually quite excited that there’s a way to skip it and go straight into multitasking right away.

That’s my takeaway from the video, haha.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
NO !

It's very easy to complain about certain aspects of the X, just because he thinks they are not implemented good for his use,
And all apple devices have certain handy ways of working with them, without them being in a manual, and are still being discovered.
double tapping the side button for purchases, is a 1 time learning curve, and why not use that button ?, better then accidentally touching the screen.
And as always, apple will introduce more fine adjustments for the interface, and let you change certain options.

And still using the $1000 price excuse for this not being the perfect iPhone he wants it to be is just getting very old :)

Reactions: PeLaNo

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I will say I complete agree with his complaint about the double click to install. Like him, I kept double tapping the screen to no avail I think its very poor design by apple to have something so obtuse. Now that I know, I'll not fall victim but the point remains for a company that prides itself on simplicity and great design this is a fail

Attachments

• Capto_Capture 2017-11-19_06-50-00_AM.jpg
    Capto_Capture 2017-11-19_06-50-00_AM.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 274

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
I will say I complete agree with his complaint about the double click to install. Like him, I kept double tapping the screen to no avail I think its very poor design by apple to have something so obtuse. Now that I know, I'll not fall victim but the point remains for a company that prides itself on simplicity and great design this is a fail

I also had that problem, the very first time using it, but then I read what it said...ooohh CLICK the side button, not TAP the white icon on the side,
the problem is, that iPhone users think it should be so intuitive, that you don't even need to read user hints :)

PeLaNo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
Apple should made it’s look like arrow points towards side button that should male more sense.

Reactions: maflynn

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I think it’s the terminology that people just haven’t adapted to yet. I used to always say “click” on something on the touchscreen. But the correct word is “tap” which you see used by the actual companies. “Click” is meant for the physical buttons.

Personally I still have to purposely put thought into using the word “tap” when describing something, after using “click” for the past couple decades of computer usage.

However, I had no issue with the double click to install apps. Well, except for the fact that it even exists. Why isn’t the “get” button + Face ID enough? Why do I have to do 3 things just to install a free app? It’s annoying.

Reactions: Knowlege Bomb

Sunnyday2017

Suspended
Nov 10, 2017
Enjoyed your video. I agree with him and he was neither over melodramatic nor boring. He got my attention. Apple will fix these in the future and as has been said, iPhone X will have more teething problems.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
If you disagree with everything he says then you either A. Don't have an iPhone X or B. just feel Apple can do no wrong. For example why can't we have percent battery inside the battery icon like every Android phone ever? He doesn't say that but you can see it in one of his screenshots.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Malicious software or websites can simulate a tap on the screen. A hardware click cannot be spoofed.
It’s a security feature.

Reactions: Ntombi and PeLaNo

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Without having used the X myself, I still find myself agreeing with a lot of what he says. They're common gripes among reviewers which will hopefully be addressed in upcoming IOS updates.

These are the teething problems a Home Button-free iPhone brings....they'll get sorted i'm sure.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Why isn’t the “get” button + Face ID enough? Why do I have to do 3 things just to install a free app? It’s annoying.

I get the rationale behind the design decision: with TID you TAP the GET button on screen, then you TOUCH the FID sensor, so it's a two step process, and in the event you touch GET while just navigating around the app details, there's a second, proactive confirmation step.

With FID, you touch GET, you're looking at the phone, you're already authenticated so it would immediately start the purchase. By my estimate it's really two steps as well since FID is always working, and totally passive.

That being said, since it's just software, they could add a settings toggle for this, i.e., PURCHASE WITHOUT CONFIRMATION or possible simplify the 2nd step a little ONE CLICK PURCHASE.

Doesn't bother me, but I agree vs. the FID experience elsewhere it's less seamless (though by design).

Reactions: DDustiNN

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I get the rationale behind the design decision: with TID you TAP the GET button on screen, then you TOUCH the FID sensor, so it's a two step process, and in the event you touch GET while just navigating around the app details, there's a second, proactive confirmation step.

With FID, you touch GET, you're looking at the phone, you're already authenticated so it would immediately start the purchase. By my estimate it's really two steps as well since FID is always working, and totally passive.

That being said, since it's just software, they could add a settings toggle for this, i.e., PURCHASE WITHOUT CONFIRMATION or possible simplify the 2nd step a little ONE CLICK PURCHASE.

Doesn't bother me, but I agree vs. the FID experience elsewhere it's less seamless (though by design).
I guess it makes sense when you put it that way. Though there could still be an additional “confirm” or “install” button after Face ID authenticates, rather than the awkward double click of the side button.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I guess it makes sense when you put it that way. Though there could still be an additional “confirm” or “install” button after Face ID authenticates, rather than the awkward double click of the side button.

Yeah the double-click seems a little excessive - it’s a firm, physical button, located way outside of the display area - just a single click would probably be 99.9% as effective as the double click.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I would venture to say he is talking to a relatively small audience.

Agree on letting users customize the status bar or a rolling status bar cycling through active functions like do not disturb or when the alarm is set.

Cell bars, apparently he's never commuted using public transportation in and around boston or the trains going into boston.

Like with ever iOS things get better quickly.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Well, he’s not wrong.

But my favorite thing about the video was the faster multitasking gesture. I hate waiting for the pause, and I am actually quite excited that there’s a way to skip it and go straight into multitasking right away.

That’s my takeaway from the video, haha.
Yes just do a quick swipe up then "pull" the apps out by turning the direction of swiping to the right. Like doing a 「 action.

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York
He got two phone calls from “people” who “aren’t dumb” that couldn’t figure out to double tap the lock button to purchase an app. I literally figured this out the first time. They actually called this guy? His other ideas make sense but his delivery is obnoxious.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012

You don't know what click means? You don't click on the screen. But yeah, should be better done.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
Fortunately as the reviewers mentions a lot of the issues can be addressed with a software upgrade. I dislike the access to the control center. It is inconvenient and something I access quite often.

Reactions: Truefan31

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Agree with most of his observations, and that most of them can be fixed in a software update. It does feel like iOS 11 isn’t designed for the iPhone X, so I have no problem waiting for the next iteration that takes full advantage of the iPhone X’s hardware.

The most obvious example is Apple not embracing the OLED technology in their software. Why does the whole screen still need to light up when I get a notification? How about an option for an Always-On Display? OLED isn’t a new technology, and Apple uses it in their Apple Watch, so I just find it strange that they didn’t include anything that really embraces the OLED display.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
BTW, your edit shows it’s not obtuse, but exactly 90 degrees from the prompt...

The other meaning of obtuse would be “slow to learn.”

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
I like his opinion. Not all of us are really wowed by the X. I do think its drawbacks is mostly iOS11. Not hardware. Next year, the second edition of the X will be better, faster, and cheaper.

That Reachability gesture looks like you need to be very precise. Still waiting for Apple to offer a different gesture for Control Center like right bottom corner, more customization with the toggles and offer us a location toggle.

bt311

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2015
Malicious software or websites can simulate a tap on the screen. A hardware click cannot be spoofed.
It’s a security feature.
The Appstore is run by Apple allegedly for such a reason? Where are users supposed to get an app on iOS other than from the Appstore? If you say "But a malicious software or websites can simulate the Appstore," well then tricking users to click a hardware button should be a child's play.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

Glad I’m not the only one that took a moment to figure out what the hell needed to be “clicked.”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.