iPhone X Iphone x vs Galaxy s8 plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gaprofitt, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Sevanw macrumors 65816

Sevanw

It you don't have Nova Launcher, do yourself a favor and get it. Being able to set up gestures and custom grid sizes, really lets you take full advantage of the screen real estate.

2. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

Of course. I love it. I am trying Microsoft's Arrow launcher at the moment and I like it even better at the moment. When I get bored of it, will switch back to Nova

3. bkrbyndr macrumors member

bkrbyndr

We have 1 year guarantee in Sweden.

4. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

The tech is inferior but the ecosystem and user experience trump that.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 9, 2017 ---
    The iPhone X has a bezel going all the way round. Design wise the S8/note 8 look better however I’m probably going to end up with an ‘ugly’ phone in the end.

5. Roadstar macrumors 65816

Roadstar

If you're really into podcasts, I'd suggest you look beyond the Apple Podcasts app. Pocket Casts is an awesome option and actually available for both iOS and Android (and also syncs between the two if you have both phones). Overcast is another good one, but iOS only.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 10, 2017 ---
    Well, for me it boils down to the camera and the fact that even though Samsung can take its time with actually shipping the updates, they're supporting their phones for reasonably long nowadays. That's something I can't currently trust in Xiaomi & co to do. In fact, I just got rid of the OnePlus 5 that was otherwise awesome with being snappy and reasonably priced, but the camera was such a letdown compared to its marketing and the way they implemented Secure Box (which is anything but that) left a really sour taste in my mouth. I know that Samsung isn't without its flaws, but I have an S8+ ordered from a nice promo. I got it for 599€, which is 510€ less than the iPhone 8 Plus 256GB I was also considering.

6. Bane-Thunder macrumors 6502

Pocketcasts is what i used it was very good however it couldnt find one of the podcasts i usually subscribe to and that really griped me cause it found all the others. The google news app just has nothing on the Apple News app.

Also Google Music app is so frustrating compared to the iOS music app. I just couldn't feel at home with android its really not for me. And i did try cause I'm not closed minded when it comes to tech.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 10, 2017 ---
    I liked the S8 design i thought it was fantastic! Thats why I bought it, I had it for 3 months and only got rid of it cause of android if im being honest. Its design was not at fault. Unfortunately it runs Android and not iOS.

I've said it before I've been wanting the fat bezels on the iPhone gone since the iPhone 4. I've had to wait all these years to finally see it happen so you're darn skippy im gettin this new iPhone.

7. borgeindergaard macrumors regular

borgeindergaard

Why would you want edge-to-edge displays? They're ergonomically horrible to use and hold. Accidental clicks all the time, and just too easy to drop the phone. I had an S7 Edge for 6 months and I couldn't stand using the darn thing, even though at the time it was a beautiful phone.

When gaming on my phone (iPhone 7) I actually hold the phone by its bezels with my thumbs. On the X this won't even be possible, which to me is a regression.

8. pika2000 macrumors 68040

I’m not worried about updates on Xiaomi. They are still pushing security updates for my cheap low end old Redmi 2A. Can’t say the same thing about Samsung. Besides, I can still buy new Xiaomi phones twice a year and still come out ahead, plus I don’t have to worry about updates any longer.

9. Oliveira46, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017

Oliveira46 macrumors member

Oliveira46

Username checks out "Droid***", bragging about 0,1%. Welcome to Android world, where specsheet numbers are better than actual performance and daily usage...

Are you still enjoying your octa-core android from 2014 that you claimed that was faster than a quad-core PC? How about that 3500mah battery that barely lasts a day? lol

I bet you also laughted when the iphone 5 launched because they introduced a taller ( ....and now standard) 16:9 screen... But the 18:9 samsung even taller screens are "amazing"

10. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

I don't see their tech as inferior as it ultimately produces better results. Specs aren't everything.

11. Droidbricker Suspended

Droidbricker

I stated a fact, not a brag, weird that you can’t tell the difference. I’ve been using both Android and iOS for years and currently have a 7+ and Note 8. I’ll be getting the X soon as well. LOL at having to choose.

12. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

13. Dominican macrumors 6502

Reason Hate S8 Plus laggy Freeze i would take iPhone 8 over this.

14. ednygma macrumors member

ednygma

Why does anyone really care what phone others use or what others think of what phone they use themselves?

Nowadays there is very little difference between the droid and iOS ecosystems in overall functionality. I have used both, enjoyed both, cursed both and, in the end, go with the platform and phone that I feel most comfortable with most of the time.

Pick the phone that YOU enjoy and then do just that...enjoy it.

Carry on with the pissing match.

15. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

Hence why I said ecosystem and user experience Trump specs. The note 8 is vastly superior to my 7 plus but o prefer my 7 plus for the reasons above.

16. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

How is it vastly superior though? Besides higher specs that don't necessarily equate to anything in real life.

17. Mr.Bigglesworth macrumors regular

Mr.Bigglesworth

Great comparison.

However you’re comparing a design that is from 2014 vs a phone that is from 2017.

I have the same phone. A 7+ next to a GS8 is like a librarian next to a supermodel.

Now compare that S8 to the X and you got your self an uneven match. Favoring Apple.

The A11 Bionic processor is way faster than the SnapDragon 835 by a pretty significant amount. This is something I personally thought would never happen. Meanwhile the phone is still massively underpowered. Benchmarks from multiple sites put the iPhone 8 ahead of even the S8’s big brother, the Note 8. So in respects to Apple and their latest tech, you have the slower device.

Also, yeah Samsung did come out with facial recognition software first. But oh my god did it have some concerning issues. One of which was being able to hold a picture of your self and it unlocking ( see what they did there in the keynote ? ). By now we should all have realized that Apple doesn’t Believe in delivering halfassed designs or “ innovations “ to its customers. If they give it to us it’s because it’s practically perfected ( in most cases ) and if it fails, an update comes out almost immediately. That’s something Samsung is very well known for not doing.

Next is the quality the phone delivers. Samsung phones for some reason upload crappy quality in terms of videos and pictures. I ( and I’m not the only one ) notice when someone records a video or take a picture on a Samsung device. Colors are weird and it’s not as clear as it is on an iPhone. Especially on Snapchat lol.

My best friend has the S8 and when I use it, it’s not as silky smooth as my 7+.

The S8 is a gorgeous phone nonetheless. Samsung is almost there !

18. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

The palm rejection is apparently really good. It looks amazing.

19. borgeindergaard macrumors regular

borgeindergaard

How about thumb rejection? I mean, don't anyone ever actually grab the phone by the bezel?
    If you play a racing game (Real Racing) on your phone, for example, don't you hold it by the bezel when you tilt sideways?
    The current design trend with all-display phones is just horrible to use.

20. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

For those types of games, yes I would agree. However, for general use, it seems to be more appealing.

21. Vivian125, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

Vivian125 macrumors regular

Vivian125

Awesome at exploding??? Take note that most Airports from asia and europe does not allowed someone to fly on a plane if your using an Samsung Galaxy Note cuz they might take lives hundreds of people if it explode while on the plane.. iPhone are much safer

22. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

Well I flew on a plane with a galaxy note 8 in Europe. It’s the galaxy note 7 that was banned because that phone did have an issue with exploding. The note 8 and S8 do not have the same issues and can be taken on planes.

23. Extoll macrumors member

Extoll

having both since they where release. Staying away form Samsung for now on. Samsung S8 is the prefect example why rushing to be first isn't the greatest thing to do some times. I have had 2 S8 screens get really bad burn in. First time was from a podcast app i use when driving in work. Didn't think having screen on for 25 min would damage it in 2017. 2nd form youtube app. The screen being curved just makes it a pain to protect or even find good products for it. While being a work phone i have 15 apps on it and it's all ready slowed down pretty bad. Things like wireless fast charging isn't that faster then the 7.5 watts new iphone can handle. The camera is okay at best. Find taking more photos with my X. Speakers are just bad. Over all S8 was a huge let down with for me. Don't even get me started on the joke iris scanner is. I be waiting for the Pixel 3 or V40 or maybe iphone Xs for my new work phone. This S8 has to go and be last Samsung i ever buy.

24. Deacon-Blues macrumors 6502

Deacon-Blues

I tried a Galaxy S6 a while back, briefly. The hardware was lovely, but there were a few software related dealbreakers for me. First of all, no satisfactory password management. iCloud Keychain is irreplaceable. Perhaps most importantly, for me, was the fact that my entire family is Apple, and I was cut out of FaceTime and iMessage. My flirtation with Android lasted just two weeks.

25. Suspenders macrumors regular

Suspenders

One of my issues with the S8 (and S7 Edge which I owned) is the screen design. If the phone is dropped on an angle, it can crack the screen. When I went to get my S7 Edge last year, the sales person told me to get the S7 instead because of all of the cracked screens that he had to deal with on the S7 Edge.