Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
He has a good reason to make that assumption based on 2017. So I wouldn't call it foolish.

Not really though, note 8 was a great phone but it’s hardly head and shoulders above pixel and iPhone X. Depends on your ecosystem and if you value updates or not

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
You got it all wrong, I'm not anti Apple or pro Samsung. Sometimes football fans get frustrated when they keep seeing their team lose, just watch Arsenal Fan TV on youtube as an example. Well just imagine that with me, but instead of supporting a football team, you use a company's product but are frustrated with their new releases.

You posted that the Note8 has as good of software as the X and camera as well. But today you feign unbiased.

Reactions: FFR

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Not really though, note 8 was a great phone but it’s hardly head and shoulders above pixel and iPhone X. Depends on your ecosystem and if you value updates or not

I know that everyone has their individual preferences. But on the mobile tech scene, damn near every reviewer and vlogger states the Note 8 as the best phone of 2017.

Reactions: iSilas and jamezr

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I get that the X's an expensive product and apple priced it accordingly but sometimes I wonder why I spent this much on a phone haha.

The truth is that safari, instagram youtube and Gmail don't look or perform much differently on a 2016/2017 flagship phone versus a 2018 one.

We are reaching diminishing returns while phones are getting disproportionately more expensive.

Reactions: nordique

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
The S9
The S9 Plus
The iPhone X
The iPhone xI
The iPhone XI Plus.
Any version of the Pixel....

will all be trumped by the Note 9. The Note line is the new king of the jungle. Sorry folks, just telling it as it is. You can blame Tim Crook for that.

Watching this thread is like watching the play-off game for 3rd spot in the FIFA World Cup. Both devices are inferior to the Note.

You forgot the "for me" part, for me Pixel sits on top of everyone.

Reactions: nordique

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I know that everyone has their individual preferences. But on the mobile tech scene, damn near every reviewer and vlogger states the Note 8 as the best phone of 2017.

Most of those reviewers also prefer android. Most of the main youtubers like android better.

Note 8 is only the best if you use its main features. It still lacks in updates and bloatware exists as does the stutter. So I think when it comes to the complete package pixel was the best android phone last year

Obviously I prefer IOS better as for me is the most complete phone I can buy with my other devices. What phone is best depends on the ecosystem you use

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Most of those reviewers also prefer android. Most of the main youtubers like android better.

Note 8 is only the best if you use its main features. It still lacks in updates and bloatware exists as does the stutter. So I think when it comes to the complete package pixel was the best android phone last year

Obviously I prefer IOS better as for me is the most complete phone I can buy with my other devices. What phone is best depends on the ecosystem you use

A different launcher and removing all animations fixes a lot of the stutter issues. Not all, though, and we shouldn’t have to do that to begin with.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Stutter doesn't exist on the Note 8. Even those trusted reviewers that are harsh critics of Samsung stated that.

We'll see how improved update speed is with Project Treble on the S9.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Not really......there are other reasons....for me anyways. Google Photos works on iOS so they get transfered there when i take pics on the iPad. I dont like that iMessage is an exclusive thing and i dont like that they charge for iCloud if you use more than 5GB. Nobody else does that.
User experience is still #1 for me.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Not really......there are other reasons....for me anyways. Google Photos works on iOS so they get transfered there when i take pics on the iPad. I dont like that iMessage is an exclusive thing and i dont like that they charge for iCloud if you use more than 5GB. Nobody else does that.

Sure you can use google photos but the format sucks as it doesn’t have the layout you get on your IOS devices.

For one it never saves your albums and doesn’t sync properly where photos you have deleted on IOS appears in google photos. Too much hassle.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Stutter doesn't exist on the Note 8. Even those trusted reviewers that are harsh critics of Samsung stated that.

We'll see how improved update speed is with Project Treble on the S9.

It does exist. Just depends how you use your phone. It’s not like how it used to be there. It’s much improved and performance is as good as its ever been

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
What you think, which one is better phone overall?
If you find yourself comparing a smartphone like a S9 to an iPhone, you may as well get an iPhone, unless you have never used an Android, in which case I'd say give the S9 a try, but if all the extra functionality does not do it for you, then stick to iPhone.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Sure you can use google photos but the format sucks as it doesn’t have the layout you get on your IOS devices.

For one it never saves your albums and doesn’t sync properly where photos you have deleted on IOS appears in google photos. Too much hassle.
I havent found it to be a hassle at all yet. As long as the photos go on Google photos im good. Sometimes i delete photos from my Gallery and they stay on Google photos til i delete them again buts thats a good thing IMO. If i delete them from GP first then it comes off the Gallery too.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I'm curious do you own a Note 8 to talk such thing?
My dad owns one and an S8 plus and I’ve seen it first hand. Not the lag I used to have with previous Samsung phones but it’s there. It’s hardly a deal breaker but there is some. The amount of widgets he uses is likely the cause of this issue.
[doublepost=1520018420][/doublepost]
I havent found it to be a hassle at all yet. As long as the photos go on Google photos im good. Sometimes i delete photos from my Gallery and they stay on Google photos til i delete them again buts thats a good thing IMO. If i delete them from GP first then it comes off the Gallery too.
It’s a good solution don’t get me wrong but not something I could personally use. Can totally see why it works for most though.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
My dad owns one and an S8 plus and I’ve seen it first hand. Not the lag I used to have with previous Samsung phones but it’s there. It’s hardly a deal breaker but there is some. The amount of widgets he uses is likely the cause of this issue.

The Note 8 is a league of it's own compared to the S8 plus when it comes to software stability.

I myself don't even see any signs of my Note 8 bogging down.

Here's just one example from a well known unbiased reviewer.

2018-03-02 14.39.49.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The Note 8 is a league of it's own compared to the S8 plus when it comes to software stability.

View attachment 753013
Oh please please let Erica’s hopes for the S9 come true. My S8+ is so laggy. So is my husband’s. I wanted to trade the S8+ in and not my S7 Edge for the S9+ but the S8+ has more life left to it for VR and the kids like the camera stickers and panorama features. Also...I would miss the Orchid Grey.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

View attachment 753013
Agreed with her! My Note8 continues to work beautifully despite the abuse I give it. I often have a ton of apps running as I never really close anything and it just keeps goingbwirh no problem.

Reactions: iSilas

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

View attachment 753013
I’m not saying it hasn’t been flawless for most people. Just saying my own hands on experience.

Not trying to come off bashing the note 8. Said many times on here it’s a top 2-3 device you can buy. I would still say it’s better than this years S9 given what I’ve seen.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I’m not saying it hasn’t been flawless for most people. Just saying my own hands on experience.

Not trying to come off bashing the note 8. Said many times on here it’s a top 2-3 device you can buy. I would still say it’s better than this years S9 given what I’ve seen.

It’s kind of sad that people think you’re bashing the Note8 by saying it stutters. It does if you stick with the TW Launcher. I’m guessing most reviewers who don’t see stutter changes to something else.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
It’s kind of sad that people think you’re bashing the Note8 by saying it stutters. It does if you stick with the TW Launcher. I’m guessing most reviewers who don’t see stutter changes to something else.
I see no stutters, I use Nova Launcher though.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
People might look at my sig and think Apple sheep but I do enjoy android devices and talking about them even if I don’t buy them :)

I think stutter can happen with any device as it depends what you are doing with it. Having tons of widgets can slow down devices which is might be why my dads does from time to time. He’s obsessed with them

Reactions: Michael Goff

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
I think we need to define "lag". I think we need to define "stutter". These words are being tossed around too loosely. For instance, my iPhone X lags a bunch. Tap the screen, swipe up to access my home screen, swipe through the home screens and its "lag" or "stutter" central. It doesn't happen every single time, but it happens a few times a day. It seems as though Apple has been apart of this "lag" and "stutter" fest for a few years now.

They had the crown ios 6 and below for being very fluent and stable. Once they started adding "features", that's when the hiccups started to show its ugly head. Definite crashes upon launching apps. OS would start to freeze here and there. When I had the Note 8 for a month, I didn't experience any of the so called "lag" issues. However, people say it starts lagging after a few months in which I cant comment on since I never had an android for that amount of time.

Apple's lag issues seem to skate by because of the reputation they've built for being a very fluent, solid OS. However, that has not been the case in awhile. Mean while, android came into the game laggy as all hell. However, they've been putting in work and getting better year after year. Hopefully, apple can iron out some of these issues in iOS 12 but you know....we say the same crap every year because of that "reputation".

Last edited:
Reactions: koigirl

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I think we need to define "lag". I think we need to define "stutter". These words are being tossed around too loosely. For instance, my iPhone X lags a bunch. Tap the screen, swipe up to access my home screen, swipe through the home screens and its "lag" or "stutter" central. It doesn't happen every single time, but it happens a few times a day. It seems as though Apple has been apart of this "lag" and "stutter" fest for a few years now.

They had the crown ios 6 and below for being very fluent and stable. Once they started adding "features", that's when the hiccups started to show its ugly head. Definite crashes upon launching apps. OS would start to freeze here and there.
For me lag is when I activate the camera app to capture a special moment with the kids or pets and there is this palpable moment of black screen as I wait for the camera to activate. None of my smart phone cameras is capable of being instantly on and ready to snap a picture if the phone has been off a while but my S8+ prolongs that moment of blackness to noticeable and painful levels.

Stutter for me has been an issue of watching the display of contents render in a jerky rather than smooth motion when scrolling within an app or between apps on the home screen. I haven’t yet experienced any of this on my Pixel 2 and only a little tiny bit on my 8 Plus.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I see no stutters, I use Nova Launcher though.

I tried using TW Home whenever I used my Note8, and I do have a Note8 that I don’t use for whatever reason, but I always moved back to Nova or the Launcher3 thing. It worked great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.