Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redsoul210

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2017
loving my iPhone X overall but I’ve been having this recurring issue.

On occasion when I unlock my phone by using the side button, a single press does nothing. A second press will cause the screen to come on and then go right back off and re-lock the phone. I’ve tried disabling raise to wake and tap to wake and the problem persists. I’ve had this issue even the iPhone is taken out of my pocket and also when it’s laying flat charging.

Stewie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
Austin
Until I read your post I never even tried to use the side button to wake my phone. It either wakes up when I pick it up or I just tap the screen.

But I did just try the side button a few times and no issues here.

Reactions: boshii

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I haven’t had that problem, but I only rarely use the side button to wake. Tap to wake is my go-to, followed by raise to wake. Side button is a distant third.

Risonanza78

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2015

On occasion when I unlock my phone by using the side button, a single press does nothing. A second press will cause the screen to come on and then go right back off and re-lock the phone. I’ve tried disabling raise to wake and tap to wake and the problem persists. I’ve had this issue even the iPhone is taken out of my pocket and also when it’s laying flat charging.
[doublepost=1510165910][/doublepost]I have same problem! Sometimes side button is sleep, after itis K, I hope that it is a software problem

Reactions: PCFan

Risonanza78

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2015
As well today, it is happens that when I try to lock an iPhone X with side button, not working, it is as sleep, after 10 seconds, it wake up.
That happens one o two time in a day.
Only I have this issue?
I think that may be a software problem and no hardware.
Do you have same issue?
[doublepost=1510240605][/doublepost]It’s happens everywhere I have more care of my iPhone as my doughter
I don’t make a reboot. Do you help me?

chadmclark

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2016
Yes, yes, so glad I found this thread!! I have the same things guys!! I’ve had 2 iPhone X’s and, both exhibited this ... sometimes the side button does not wake the screen; second click does. Seems to happen when off and laying flat?

Sometimes the screen will turn on/off really quick on the second click. Never happens when screen is already on, using side button to sleep. I am on 11.2 beta 5.

Based on the 2 of mine and some of you all, I’m assuming it’s an iOS bug

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, yes!! I have the same things guys!! I’ve had 2 iPhone X’s and, both exhibited this ... sometimes the side button does not wake the screen; second click does. Never happens on screen lock with side button. I am on 11.2 beta 5.

iPhone X Lock Button Delay

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks for the link; doesn’t help with the wake issue however
Seems like it discusses the very thing you are talking about and those experiencing it traced it to the feature that allows Apple Pay activation when the side button is pressed twice.

chadmclark

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2016
Seems like it discusses the very thing you are talking about and those experiencing it traced it to the feature that allows Apple Pay activation when the side button is pressed twice.
Maybe I missed that in the thread ... mine is when waking the device, not locking it - so sometimes the 1st click to wake the screen does nothing.

Risonanza78

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2015
We can try with option touch The screen qnd evergreen things is K. Io you touch the screen, you can wake you iPhone X and Face ID

Reactions: eric3312

matorama

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2017

I was having this issue as well, although it seems to be fixed with iOS 11.2
I have noticed, however, (since the fix) that I still occasionally cannot wake the phone when I press the side button. I have to press it a second time.

Reactions: rdy0329

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I was curious so I checked Apple Support Page. Does not give option for side button to wake. I did use alot with my ip7.

yossi 126

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2017
Yes, yes, so glad I found this thread!! I have the same things guys!! I’ve had 2 iPhone X’s and, both exhibited this ... sometimes the side button does not wake the screen; second click does. Seems to happen when off and laying flat?

Sometimes the screen will turn on/off really quick on the second click. Never happens when screen is already on, using side button to sleep. I am on 11.2 beta 5.

Have you find a solution since your post?
Having the same problem
[doublepost=1513451956][/doublepost]

Same here. Does it still happen to you?

CMDXtreme

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2017
I can confirm that I am experiencing the same issue with my iPhone X. It doesn’t happen all the time, but it does exist.

gahig ulo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2017
riverside california
i have the same problem also.when i press once when the screen is off it takes a little longer for the screen to wake but it does every time however turning off is instant

Vardelos

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2017
I have the exact same issue, it also happens on tap to wake sometimes, at first i thought i pressed to fast, but after a couple days its getting quite annoying.

It happens 1/10th of the time.

The iphone is 4 days old. Latest sw

Reactions: Dubadai
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.