Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently confirmed that the iPhone X will be available for walk-in customers to purchase at its retail stores when the device launches Friday, November 3, but that will not be the case in two European countries.

iphone-x-silver.jpg

Due to anti-terrorism restrictions, Apple will not be selling the iPhone X to customers without a pre-order or pickup reservation in Belgium or France. The news was first reported by the Dutch-language blog One More Thing, and MacRumors has since received confirmation from a reliable source who asked not to be identified.

As best as we're aware, Apple is simply complying with local laws and regulations discouraging large gatherings and queues in popular tourist areas, due to recent terrorist attacks in cities with Apple retail stores like Brussels and Paris.

Belgian and French customers can still pre-order the iPhone X on Apple's website for in-store pickup or delivery, although shipping estimates have slipped to 5-6 weeks in both countries. Also, in Belgium at least, Apple will begin accepting reservations for in-store pickup on November 4 at 6:00 a.m. local time.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: iPhone X Won't Be Available to Walk-In Customers at Apple Stores in Belgium or France on Launch Day

Last edited:

imicca

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2013
Yerevan, London
There are several reasons, and here are few:
Belgium is smaller market, they focus mostly on France, Germany and UK in Europe.
However, France has and had problems with every iPhone launch since 2012. People getting stabbed, robbed, beaten after or during queues and buying new iPhones.
France also changed the law on standing in line outside in huge numbers, due to fears of terrorism.

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
How can Apple expect anyone in any country to be able to walk in and pick one up in the store on launch day? Especially since everywhere is showing 5-6 weeks?

Reactions: jdogg836

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Because they allocate some to their stores so they have some for sale day 1.

For people who camp out, right? I highly doubt anyone will just be able to walk in off the street day 1 and get one. The hype for this phone is too high. Hell, why would anyone pre-order and wait over a month when they could just walk into their local Apple Store?

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
Wow....thank god we don’t have this problem in the US.
Yeah, we’re much more likely to be shot dead by our fellow citizens excercising their “second amendment rights”. Or by a cop who “feared for his life”. :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1509477110][/doublepost]
and here is an example of why EVERYTHING ends up in PRSI these days. :rolleyes:
This thread by it’s very nature belongs in PRSI, which is why that’s where it was placed to begin with.

Vanilla Ice

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2011
Los Angeles

Due to anti-terrorism restrictions, Apple will not be selling the iPhone X to customers without a pre-order or pickup reservation in Belgium or France.

Before even clicking into this topic, that was the first thing that popped in my head. It must suck having Terrorism stop someone from waiting in line to buy a phone. Shameful.
[doublepost=1509478057][/doublepost]
Yeah, we’re much more likely to be shot dead by our fellow citizens excercising their “second amendment rights”. Or by a cop who “feared for his life”. :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1509477110][/doublepost]
This thread by it’s very nature belongs in PRSI, which is why that’s where it was placed to begin with.

And you sir or women, are wrong again. Unless you have a source to back up your claim of someone getting shot and killed while waiting in line for an iPhone due to someone exercising their 2a.

Reactions: extrachrispy

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
And you sir or women, are wrong again. Unless you have a source to back up your claim of someone getting shot and killed while waiting in line for an iPhone due to someone exercising their 2a.
Lol what? :confused: Did I say that ever happened?

I was simply replying to the “glad we don’t have this problem in the US” comment. It sounded so smug, so I wanted to point out that we have plenty of violence of our own. As a matter of fact, much much more.

Reactions: tzm41 and CarlJ

Vanilla Ice

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2011
Los Angeles

I was simply replying to the “glad we don’t have this problem in the US” comment. It sounded so smug, so I wanted to point out that we have plenty of violence of our own. As a matter of fact, much much more.

Ahh, I was sticking on topic of why we don't have these problems in the US when waiting inline for an iPhone. You kinda through me off.

hagar

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
I live in Brussels, Belgium and I feel much more unsafe in the US where every lunatic and his brother are allowed to have a machine gun. Or where any minute the president can start WW3 .

By which I don’t want to minimise our own problems ;-)

But not selling a phone seems like a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist.

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
How can Apple expect anyone in any country to be able to walk in and pick one up in the store on launch day? Especially since everywhere is showing 5-6 weeks?

Pre-order tends to be the worst way to get a new apple device these days.

You will get one faster in store or 3rd party retailer. Last 4 devices I got, apple online was 1-2 months and I've either picked up up from an Apple Store or delivered next day from major retailer

Vanilla Ice

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2011
Los Angeles
I live in Brussels, Belgium and I feel much more unsafe in the US where every lunatic and his brother are allowed to have a machine gun. Or where any minute it’s president can start WW3 .

By which I don’t want to minimise our own problems ;-)

But not selling a phone seems like a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist.

Where were you in the US? On an Marine training base?

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
No. But you said machine guns and I would like to know where? and if you were not in an area such as a military base, why you didn't contact the police?
Are you being intentionally obtuse? The argument you're about to make. The one relying on a pedantic textbook definition of machine gun. Yeah that one. Please don't. You know exactly what the poster is referencing. We do have access to AR and AK styled weapons. It's our constitutional right to have weapons and there are plenty of places where open carry negates the need to contact the police. But you know that already.

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012

Smug? Please... (that was condescending)

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
There are several reasons, and here are few:
Belgium is smaller market, they focus mostly on France, Germany and UK in Europe.

Switzerland is also a small place, but iPhones are very popular here. Judging from what I see in public transport, at least half of the country owns one...

Reactions: geekiemac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.