iPhone XR Could Account for Over Half of New iPhone Sales in Second Half of 2018

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Global shipments of Apple's new iPhone lineup should exceed 85 million units in the second half of the year, according to research conducted by DigiTimes, with the more budget-friendly iPhone XR expected to account for over half of all sales.

[​IMG]

Total iPhone shipments - including older-generation models - are expected to top 127 million units in the second half of 2018, representing "modest growth" for the tech giant's mobile business. Meanwhile, Apple's total smartphone revenue is likely to reach nearly $100 billion in the second half of the year, which is a 10 percent increase compared to the previous year.

The estimates for the new iPhone XS, XS Max and XR are said to be based on supply chain information, combined with Apple's annual sales and the average selling prices over previous years.

Apple's lower-spec iPhone XR features an edge-to-edge "Liquid Retina" LCD display with wide color and True Tone support, and the same all-screen design as the OLED-based iPhone Xs and Xs Max, but with an aluminum frame instead of stainless steel.

Other downgrades from the iPhone XS that make the XR cheaper include a single-lens rear facing camera instead of the dual lens on the XS, and a lack of 3D Touch support.

It comes in White, Black, Blue, Coral, Yellow, and (PRODUCT)Red colors, and will be available in 64GB, 128GB and 256GB models. Pre-orders for Apple's new smartphones begin on Friday, September 14, ahead of an official launch a week later on Friday, September 21 in over 30 countries and territories.

Article Link: iPhone XR Could Account for Over Half of New iPhone Sales in Second Half of 2018

2. dan9700 macrumors 68000

dan9700

3. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

Ya think? Genius prediction given the prohibitive pricing on the XS models... :rolleyes:

Glassed Silver:mac

4. Relentless Power, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I would believe that. With the $750 starting price point, wireless charging, Face ID, six new colors for a variety of choices, adding the latest A12 processor, this phone is slated to be successful.

The consumer will see the price point and color, they’re not probably as interested in OLED as some are, but it still has a newer form factor and Face ID, which alone will be compelling enough for some.

In a way, I think it was smart for Apple to offer a separate launch, which emphasizes the XR to have its own sole launch in October by itself.

5. davidec macrumors regular

Learnt some lessons from the 5C catastrophe

6. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

Yes! That’s the way to go. All of you order this one. That way I have a better chance at ordering the max phone. :D

7. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

I hope they will take huge financial hit next quarter. The prices are a joke. And that comes from the person who can afford it! I need to see the review of the XR to decide. Overall I would say that is my next phone but I wanna see how the screen looks like. Im not overly optimistic taking under consideration the PPI

8. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502a

M.PaulCezanne

9. Ebok macrumors member

Agree. I can afford the high end model without taking a financial hit.

But as I get older I’m becoming more smart with my money. $1700 in Canada for the Xs Max because it has OLED and a better camera is just stupid.

10. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

I dont care if that is 720 or 1080 or whatever as long as I feel comfortable with using it and dont see pixels. Thats why I need to see reviews before buying. If the reviews will be negative I will just use my 7 plus another year. If i could only get the oleophobic coating back...;(

11. Gudd macrumors member

Gudd

I just wish they had not made the cheaper phone as big as it is. I really hoped there was going to be one at this price point as I really want to swap out my 8+, it's just too big for my pockets. But there's no point in changing an 8+ for the XR, they're too similar in size. So back to not wanting to spend a grand on a phone. I can afford it by the way. Doesn't mean that I want to.

12. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

That separate launch is to ensure first adopters choose the top of the line, higher cost offerings. The S will have it's moment in the sun all to itself. It is the smart play.

The R is going to be a compelling offering for Apple. Minus the screen tech (OLED), resolution, and dual cams, the R has virtually all the goodies of the S. The resolution shouldn't be that big of a deal for anyone coming from one of Apple's previous none - plus models. Might be a let down for Plus model owners though. Either way, I like the R. My girls are getting this phone... next year.

13. iScone macrumors 6502

iScone

This is the only serious contender to the Max. Putting the same core camera and A12 chip makes buying the XS madness.

The Max, on the other hand... now that’s a thing of beauty.

14. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

The Only ‘real’ feature the Xr is missing is 3D Touch, but I think for many, they don’t even know what it is and how it works (Which Apple never really marketed it anyways), so it probably won’t be is missed by some. And also by watching a few videos, it seems that Apple has created a workaround with ‘long press’, so it’s still technically simulated in some form or another. But otherwise, Apple set the XR to be a success with the colors and other additions I mentioned above.

15. Focusx0131 macrumors newbie

Focusx0131

Coming from the SE (which I'm forced to at this point) it has everything I want besides the size but I guess it's inevitable to get the latest and greatest. Never had 3D touch with the same PPI I don't feel like I'm losing much in upgrading.

16. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

If only the beezles where slimmer, and it had OLED I would most likely get this over the Xs Max. This will surely be the bestseller at it gives a lot more value for your money compared to the other two.

The big question is.. Are people willing to move to a 6,1-inch as the new default iPhone. Most of the people I know prefer and owns iPhone's and that won't change anytime soon.

But there are pretty much two groups; the tech savvy and crazy ones that are willing to spend a lot of money and are willing to spend extra to get the best. And then you have the ones that simply prefers the iPhone and tend to use it until it breaks and are not willing to pay extra for OLED etc.. As they see no use for it. They just want another great iPhone.

Are these people, who tend to still be on the iPhone 5S / 6 / 6S / SE be willing to jump on the 6,1-inch iPhone Xr or will they be put off by the sheer size of the thing?

17. Defthand macrumors 6502a

The biggest incentive for people to “upgrade” this round will be iOS 12 when it fails to be responsive and stable on previous models.

At this juncture, a true innovation in smartphones will be OS abilities. Don’t ignore the fact that the new phones still come with the same Siri.

Nice colors? Bezelless screen? You can put lipstick on a pig but it’s still a pig.

18. steve1an macrumors newbie

steve1an

19. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

I think (hope..) people will come to their senses and seeing the 13 000NOK price tag for the XsM settle down for Xr. I wish they were selling the Xr in the body of SE. That would be an instant buy for my girlfriend. But I think Apple wont be back with 4 inches. Ever. And Telenor of course refuse to get eSIM functional so there is no AW4 LTE in Norway. That part of yesterday keynote was most interesting, and I think apple should go in this direction. And not overpriced phones that no one really needs.

20. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

Oh crap! I didn’t realize these could record in stereo audio, too!

The only thing missing for me is the high ppi I’ve gotten used to on my iPhone 8 Plus and Samsung S9+. Oh and zoom lens. I use that a lot.

I’m going to have to give this one a closer look. Especially if eye strain inducing pwm flicker is still a problem with the OLED models.

But this phone is way more appealing than I anticipated. I love the yellow and blue options especially. Red, too, but I’m keeping my Product Red 8 Plus so I don’t need two red iPhones.

21. Muzzakus macrumors regular

Does the xr do landscape? Ive watched all the hands on I could find and not a single moron looked into it.

22. Sasparilla, Sep 13, 2018

Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

This would make sense, although alot of people said that about the X last year and it outsold the 8 or the 8 Plus. I hope, for our wallets sake, the Xr vastly outsells the Xs or Xs Max so that this price point is still offered in the future (cause as soon as Apple thinks they could drop the ~$750 price point for $1k phones they will).

The Xr has the same PPI as the 8 Plus and much better battery life (which was already good on the 8 Plus).

23. ChromeAce, Sep 13, 2018

ChromeAce macrumors regular

Like the iPhone 4s and 5s and 6s and 5c, the new phones are spelled “iPhone Xs” and “iPhone Xr” so cut it out.

24. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

I bet this even has less ram even though ram is so cheap

25. rcooked macrumors regular

Ditto. Starting to think this could be the slow unwinding of my tech relationship with Apple. I’m waiting to see what Google offers in the pixel line this year and will go from there.