iPhone XR iPhone XR in the shower

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zaco571, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Zaco571 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I just bought an iPhone XR and I know that it is water resistant however I am unsure as to if I can take it into the shower or not, anyone know?

2. i-Liam macrumors member

i-Liam

It’s not wise to take your iphone into a shower.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Why would you want to? Is there anything remotely _that_ important where you have to take your new XR iPhone in the shower with you? Why risk it.

4. Never mind macrumors 6502

Never mind

Phone is tested under controlled conditions to give it the water resistance results. Water pressure would not be one of those controlled conditions. Apple probably put the phone gently into some water to get the results. I would not even put a phone anywhere near water steam in my opinion.

5. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

How do you wash properly with one hand only if the other is busy with your phone?

Unless you're broadcasting nude wet selfies I can't imagine any reason to take a phone into a shower.
    Sure, I may be completely uncreative here, but… why?

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Great first post.

No reason to shower with a phone.

7. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Not only is it tempting fate for no good reason, but hot water vapour can penetrate internals in a way that running water cannot.

Don’t do it.

8. Hotpinkflamingoaz macrumors member

Hotpinkflamingoaz

9. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

10. Hotpinkflamingoaz macrumors member

Hotpinkflamingoaz

Lol I guess enough to make something like this and with multiple pockets!! :)

11. adamgbiggs macrumors 6502

adamgbiggs

Two words.... COLD SHOWER! That should stop the need for you to take the Xr into the shower with you.

You’ll thank me later,
    Adam.

12. Hicksmat1976 macrumors regular

Hicksmat1976

for "happy-time" purposes I'd recommend a bath, the steam/pressure of the shower might damage your phone, but some gentle "relaxing" with your Xr in the bath (with the door locked?) I think would work.

13. canuckRus macrumors 6502a

canuckRus

Get help!

14. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

iPhones may be water resistant now, but I certainly would never get my iPhone soaking wet on purpose.

I always say it's like wearing a bullet-proof vest. In theory, it should protect you from a bullet, but only an idiot would intentionally get shot just because they're wearing one.

Water damage is not covered by warranty/AppleCare, so if you damage your phone that's on you.

15. rudyrov macrumors newbie

for some "me-time" in the shower, it's better to use your imagination than a brand new phone

16. jona2125 macrumors 6502a

You can take it into the shower for sure. Long term I'm sure the results are varied but I've had no issues taking my rated devices into saunas, showers, hot tubs, underwater privacy bubbles, or anything else water related and they've been perfectly fine so long as I'm not blasting it with the water streams. I've even had to have several devices repaired for issues and haven't once had any with a tripped moisture sensor.

17. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

Pretty simple. Apple doesn't cover water damage. There is your answer.

18. jona2125 macrumors 6502a

Officially, that is correct but my friend had water damage to his iPhone X and the Apple store replaced it due to a faulty earpiece seal (moisture was being trapped between the glass and display). It's case by case, if water damage is secondary to a manufacturing defect they generally seem fine with fixing it.

19. Zune55 macrumors 6502a

Zune55

I always use my phone in shower since the water resistance added in iphones. Never had any issues. But make sure SIM card tray is properly inserted.

20. JBGoode macrumors 6502

JBGoode

Why do people use their phones in the shower? That seems nuts that you can't put it down for 5 minutes to clean yourself.

21. osta.doc macrumors member

22. Raist3001 macrumors 65816

Raist3001

If you are using your phone in the shower, I think its safe to assume you have a phone addiction. If you cannot put your phone down for 30 minutes while you bathe, (as someone has pointed out), you need help.

23. adamgbiggs macrumors 6502

adamgbiggs

I couldnt imagine being on Facebook in the shower as i lather my hair up with shampoo, water cascading down my soapy body.... wtf would you need your phone for at this point in time that couldn’t possibly wait 5 mins till you are out and dry?

Adam.

24. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Steam can get where water cannot.. and this is from someone who isn’t against washing off my phone with water.. avoid steam with all electronics...even WR/WP IMO.

25. white4s macrumors 68000