iPhone XR Users Experiencing Difficulties on UK's O2 Network

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPhone XR is not properly functioning on the O2 network in the UK, according to the BBC. Based on multiple reports on Twitter, XR users who have O2 as a mobile provider have been experiencing multiple signal outages per day.

Customers have been unable to make and receive calls and send and receive text messages, as well as maintain a reliable LTE connection for using apps.

An O2 spokesperson told the BBC that it is working closely with partners to resolve "an intermittent issue affecting some of our customers using iPhone XR." O2 did not clarify how many customers are affected, but said that turning the iPhone off and on again can temporarily fix the issue.

According to one customer with an affected device, he was told by an O2 customer service representative that Apple caused the issue with a recent iOS update, though that information has not been confirmed. He was given a free month's line rental as compensation.

A MacRumors reader who is experiencing issues with the iPhone XR was able to receive a free upgrade to the iPhone 11 plus a £20 refund due to the signal issues.

Apple told him there was indeed a problem and that under consumer law in the UK, the handset had to be replaced regardless of warranty. There have been no other reports of free iPhone upgrades, but other iPhone XR owners who are experiencing issues on O2 may want to contact Apple support to see what can be done.

Article Link: iPhone XR Users Experiencing Difficulties on UK's O2 Network

0-0

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
This is quite strange. Aren't the radios in the XR and the iPhone XS(for example) the same? I wonder what is causing this as its only affecting one specific model and one specific carrier.

Reactions: one more

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
Why is this issue specific to O2? A particular band being used more than others which is junk with the Intel radio or something?

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yep, try to put a positive spin on yet another Apple screwup....
Apple screwup? So, by comparison, you never make any mistakes? You are perfect? Got it.

Apple has an immense task of supporting multiple hardware configurations across multiple generations on a multitude of networks around the world. The fact that we don't hear more reports like this just shows you how _well_ they are doing!

Most consumers today don't appreciate just how complex and advanced their little devices are.
- - Post merged: - -

Why is this issue specific to O2? A particular band being used more than others which is junk with the Intel radio or something?
There are standards, but each player in the industry may not be following them exactly. Each provider tries to add their own value, which only makes the job of remaining perfectly compatible harder for handset makers. It's a complex maze to navigate, and my hats off to Apple for doing as well as they have.

AzNTypeR

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2013
Interesting, I didn't realise it was a network wide issue.

FWIW my mother has an XR on O2 and keeps having the same above issues. Sometimes she can go a whole day without realising that she doesn't have signal, restart her phone then have a flood of voicemails come through.

Reactions: decypher44 and arn

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
A temporary software glitch is not grounds for a hardware replacement under consumer law. It's just Apple going above and beyond to make their loyal customers happy.
If the software glitch renders the device’s primary functions (calling and texting) unusable for an unreasonable amount of time, who else should be responsible for the cost of a replacement, or the hassle of switching over to a new service? These aren’t old devices. I don’t care what the consumer law is. Anything longer than 30 days without a fix and either Apple or the carrier should cover the replacement. Even 30 days isn’t really reasonable.

Last edited:
Reactions: decypher44

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Odd Apple / O2 can't patch their way out of this. Did an update degrade a component to an extent that it only shows on O2?

robjulo

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I'm sure you are an expert in European consumer law, just as you are with every other facet of Apple products, ie marketing, engineering, HR, IP law, design, consumer sales and app design among others.

A temporary software glitch is not grounds for a hardware replacement under consumer law. It's just Apple going above and beyond to make their loyal customers happy.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
This is quite strange. Aren't the radios in the XR and the iPhone XS(for example) the same? I wonder what is causing this as its only affecting one specific model and one specific carrier.
No, they are not the same.

Interesting, I didn't realise it was a network wide issue.

FWIW my mother has an XR on O2 and keeps having the same above issues. Sometimes she can go a whole day without realising that she doesn't have signal, restart her phone then have a flood of voicemails come through.
To be honest it happened a few times with my wife’s XR here in the Netherlands too.
but the issue didn’t last a whole day, but several minutes.

haddy

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
Yep, try to put a positive spin on yet another Apple screwup....
Okay I had a similar problem with my iPhone 8 and like you have said I assumed it was the phone. But the solution was to change cellular providers. In my case I ported my number from Vodafone to Spark and all works fine now. Nobody can give me an answer why changing providers solved the problem, but it had nothing to do with iPhone.

Reactions: Mutepointer

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
My wife commented in the car on Saturday that she didn’t have any signal on her XR (on O2). Said to her I’d have a look when we got home. But 40 mins later at home (in London) it was all working again, and she’s not had a problem since.

Don’t know if it was the same problem or just a general coverage issue. But will keep a look out for this now.

Mutepointer

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2018
Issues are occurring with all iPhones, old and new, including iPhone 11 Pro Max.
Just say “yes” to everything (apart from buying new gadgets).

Last edited:
Reactions: Shanghaichica

shplock

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2015
Somewhere in a Galaxy far far away
Apple screwup? So, by comparison, you never make any mistakes? You are perfect? Got it.

Apple has an immense task of supporting multiple hardware configurations across multiple generations on a multitude of networks around the world. The fact that we don't hear more reports like this just shows you how _well_ they are doing!

Most consumers today don't appreciate just how complex and advanced their little devices are.

There are standards, but each player in the industry may not be following them exactly. Each provider tries to add their own value, which only makes the job of remaining perfectly compatible harder for handset makers. It's a complex maze to navigate, and my hats off to Apple for doing as well as they have.
In which case Apple should not be in the game of making mobile phones if they are not capable of supporting them better or releasing them with such stupid and avoidable flaws. They are a big global company with huge resources and therefore should not let this happen.

Jerus

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2017
O2 is not a great carrier. They are crap. Have had soo many issues with them over the years. And they never admit to anything.

So in this case, based on years of personal experience, I’m blaming O2.
They are really not a good carrier.

People who think Apple are bad at customer service should really try using O2 for a while. Would give you perspective.

This news will probably be used as click bait all over YouTube over the upcoming days.
Especially if you can “upgrade your Xr for free!”. Apple will be blamed for O2s mess.

Reactions: 0-0

name99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
If the software glitch renders the device’s primary functions (calling and texting) unusable for an unreasonable amount of time, who else should be responsible for the cost of a replacement, or the hassle of switching over to a new service? These aren’t old devices. I don’t care what the consumer law is. Anything longer than 30 days without a fix and either Apple or the carrier should cover the replacement. Even 30 days isn’t really reasonable.
You are assuming that Apple is at fault. We have no idea if that is true.
If O2 doesn’t follow the spec exactly, then they’re at fault. Maybe there’s simply an ambiguity in some tiny corner of the spec that both Apple and O2 interpreted reasonably, but differently.

There simply isn’t enough info to point fingers.

Reactions: brucemr