iPhone XR Was Best Selling iPhone in U.S. in Q3 2019

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Infinite Vortex macrumors regular

Infinite Vortex

According to my local phone shop (my ISP) they sell Huawei 2 to 1 vs everyone else… almost put together.

2. sub150 macrumors member

Those penetration numbers on services seem way out line. Applecare at 3% but iCloud storage paid 45%+. Apple News at 15%.

I know many people with AppleCare but only a few that pay for iCloud Storage and don't know anyone that uses News (woat product).

3. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

The only thing not to love is it's a little bigger than the 6/7/8. Make an iPhone XR mini that's the size of the 6/7/8 and I'd be all over that.

4. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

I think he's making a perfectly valid point.

5. PickUrPoison Suspended

Nothing at all surprising in the iPhone market share data.

Apple News uptake at 5x that of AppleCare on iPhones surprises me.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I bought an XR yesterday and it already had the wireless data migration feature. Setup was remarkably easy. Given the price comparison with the XS models, you can see why it's popular.

7. CrazyForCashews macrumors 6502

CrazyForCashews

The features for the price you get is the reason why it's selling well.

Now just imagine if it was even cheaper.

8. NickName99 macrumors 6502

NickName99

The 2019 iPhone XR with dual cameras, better antennas and A13 will be a juggernaut.

9. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

It was sarcasm since most said it wouldn’t sell since the screen was “inferior.”

10. sir1963nz macrumors 6502a

I have made a deliberate choice to not buy too deeply into the Apple ecosystem, because it makes it financially easier to leave if needed. Sure I have lots of purchased Apps for my Mac, but those I have bought have been direct from the software authors and most have Windows/Linux versions.
    Music/Videos I have physical CDs/DVDs , no removal of licence crap here

The number of Apps I use regularly on my IOS devices is less than 10, not a great investment, so easy to abandon.

Bought a RaspberryPi 3B+ to learn about Linux on and will be dual booting my Macs soon too.

The ONLY thing stopping me from jumping into Android for my phone is I do not trust Google etc to not spy on me, track me, etc. So I am keeping my SE until it actually dies and reassess my options then, iPhones are just too expensive I am NOT going to spend that kind of money on a phone. Given that 99% of my "phone" is as a phone or txt I will probably get a dub phone and to hell with the Apps.

11. PickUrPoison Suspended

The 2020 5.4” model will be a little narrower and about 1/4” less in height than the 6/7/8. But it’ll be priced at $999-ish if it’s still in the same feature tier as the 6.7” Max model.

With all three 2020 models rumored to be OLED, it seems like 5G and the rear camera will be the major differentiators between the top-tier 5.4/6.7” models and the more affordable 6.1” XR.

12. Soccertess macrumors 65816

Too bad they don’t share world sales, would be fun to know where iPhones sits!

13. Hi Tek macrumors regular

Hi Tek

Which demographic are you talking about exactly? - People need to remember people of ALL ages use iPhones.

14. Moi Ici macrumors regular

I’d say Google is also thrilled with your Dad’s info! Apple protect my info and keep it mine, Android/Google do not....

15. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

Lol. It was sarcasm!

16. niji Contributor

niji

XR is a great phone.

the bar chart in the article is very interesting and well done.
    the total of 4 phones released before the X (namely 7, 7+, 8, 8+) account for 32% of sales in 2019.
    thats the real story.
    yes, XR is a great phone.
    but the chart is also saying that the two model years of X-XS failed big.
    the X itself was even discontinued entirely- not even available for sale. a one year wonder, vs. the multi-year continuation of 7 - 8 four models.

the data be interpreted to mean that apple is willing to take risks to push its version of the future (X / XS) forward, but at the same time readies a fail-safe option (XR)

17. Hi Tek macrumors regular

Hi Tek

I think I just look for the " /s " - my bad.

18. LogicalApex macrumors 6502

I'd say you're better off enjoying your devices to the full extent and not worry about it...

No matter what OS or platform you are on there will be a switching cost if you ever decide to switch. That's the nature of Operating Systems and always will be... Utilize the tools you've paid so much for to their fullest extent and switch if, and when, it makes sense to do so. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

19. ksec macrumors 6502a

How does it work? WiFi ? Does it need to be on the same WiFi Network ? Or does it work with WiFi Direct ( Which isn't widely used at all )

20. inversewave macrumors newbie

Eh, not really. It’s more like a baby blue... kinda ugly IMO.

21. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

You and I obviously frequent different youtube channels. All of the one's I watch emphatically state the XR is the iPhone most people should buy. I agreed. It's the best bang for the buck. Last year in Sept. I said the XR would be the phone I'm getting for my girls this year. By the time the 11's are intro'd, the XR is going to be priced even better.

22. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Just goes to show the gulf between tech pundits’ “conventional wisdom” and what the real world wants.

The more tech savvy crowd might want to bear this in mind when criticising any move Apple makes in the future.

23. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

Better price, better appearance. Not uh... not really a surprise.

24. ksec macrumors 6502a

Best Selling iPhone in Q3 in US

But we need more context as in, total iPhone Sales percentage in US. I.e Sales Vs Android

And how is it doing Europe and other market.

25. Jason2000 macrumors newbie

Jason2000

It is not the hardware that keeps me away from Android. It is Android and Google.