iPhone XR Was Best Selling iPhone in U.S. in Q3 2019

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
While it isn't shocking it isn't usual either.

The iPhone 5c didnt outsell the iPhone 5, the iPhone SE didnt outsell the iPhone 6s. The difference is now the flagship (Xs/Xs Max) are too expensive.
[doublepost=1563838240][/doublepost]

Yep.
The 5c was a 5 in a cheap plastic shell
The se was an updated 5s

The xr was a new phone.

Xs Max sold 16 million units in the first quarter and was third best selling phone during q2.

Guess apple customers don’t find it too expensive after all.

The xr and Xs Max dominated the sept 2018-sept 2019 phone season.

Reactions: Adelphos33

Rob_2811

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
The 5c was a 5 in a cheap plastic shell
The se was an updated 5s

The xr was a new phone.

Xs Max sold 16 million units in the first quarter and was third best selling phone during q2.

Guess apple customers don’t find it too expensive after all.

The xr and Xs Max dominated the sept 2018-sept 2019 phone season.
So yeah people choosing the Xr over the XS then. Like I said, too pricey, people are going with the reasonably priced phone.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
FYI, the iPhone XR has a very serious hardware design flaw !

I/we first discovered it on Oct 27th, the first day we began testing our main app with it.

Took us awhile to figure out the root cause.

The "fancy" Performance Controller (i.e., cpu scheduler) design in the XR's A12 will cause an app to crash when the A12 is pushed hard.

This Hardware Bug ONLY affects High-Perf "CPU-oriented" apps.

To date, NO synthetic benchmark has discovered the issue.

To date, NO OTHER App Dev has discovered the issue.

I/we have tried repeatedly to Get the Word Out to Apple ... NO response ever from them !

As such, the XR has the potential to go down in history as the Great iPhone Cover Up !

Our main app has multiple layers of secret sauce code to limit the negative impact of the problem.

Have NO idea if Apple is able to Fix the Issue via software.

Anybody with our main app can verify that by setting the A11/A12 Bug Fix switch to OFF (see Settings for Photosets).

To us it's extremely sad that Apple chose to sweep this (issue) under the rug !

That told us ALOT about Tim Cook & Phil Schiller ... & maybe the apparently pre-anointed next CEO Jeff Williams.

A 2016 iPhone 7+ should NOT be able to run circles around a 2018 iPhone XR (with any app), but that is precisely what is happening !

At a MIN, the RE-sale value of the iPhone XR "may" plummet when this becomes Common Knowledge ... assuming Apple can't resolve the issue via software.
If you spent as much time learning to code as you do pasting this unfounded gibberish around the forums, all of us would be better off.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
So yeah people choosing the Xr over the XS then. Like I said, too pricey, people are going with the reasonably priced phone.
Xs Max not Xs, much bigger price difference between the two.

they each sold 16 million units in q1, in q2 the xr pulled slightly ahead. We will know more about q3 in a weeks time.

So no it’s pretty close in terms of units sold, but since the Xs max is considerably more expensive than the xr, it would mean current prices of both the xr and the Xs Max aren’t a factor.

In fact the Xs Max is generating more much more $ per unit sold them the xr.

Xs Max sales are even more impressive when you realize that you can buy two of the base model Xrs for the price of one 512gb Xs Max.

To put it into perspective Samsung mobile only sold about 6 million units of the s10 plus in its first three months of availability. Huawei sold 6.4 million units of the mate 20 series, but that included all variants.

However you want to look at it, high prices hasn’t impacted apples ability to sell premium smartphones.

Reactions: Wide opeN

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Considering its price XR is the best iPhone.
It has a higher software screen resolution than XS and the same resolution as XS Max. That means XR can show more onscreen content than XS and fit the same content as Max (and what’s the point of XS Max bigger screen then?).
Physical resolution on XR is a bit lower but it’s nothing like the old non-retina screens, so it’s not a real issue for most people.

And XR is cheaper and has colors. Plus its LCD screen won’t suffer from OLED burn in issue.

The only real thing it’s missing is the second camera and optical ‘zoom’ feature. But if you don’t need it, then XR is an obvious choice.

Reactions: AlexJoda

lec0rsaire

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2017
Lower price = more sales. It’s why they sell more MacBook Airs than Pros, more regular iPads than iPad Pros and more aluminum Apple Watches than steel ones.

The trade-in promo definitely had an impact as well.

Rob_2811

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
Xs Max not Xs, much bigger price difference between the two.

they each sold 16 million units in q1, in q2 the xr pulled slightly ahead. We will know more about q3 in a weeks time.

So no it’s pretty close in terms of units sold, but since the Xs max is considerably more expensive than the xr, it would mean current prices of both the xr and the Xs Max aren’t a factor.

In fact the Xs Max is generating more much more $ per unit sold them the xr.

Xs Max sales are even more impressive when you realize that you can buy two of the base model Xrs for the price of one 512gb Xs Max.

To put it into perspective Samsung mobile only sold about 6 million units of the s10 plus in its first three months of availability. Huawei sold 6.4 million units of the mate 20 series, but that included all variants.

However you want to look at it, high prices hasn’t impacted apples ability to sell premium smartphones.
Yes so the Xs Max is selling, seems like people are going XR over Xs. Can only be down to the price ..

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Yes so the Xs Max is selling, seems like people are going XR over Xs. Can only be down to the price ..
Everybody that wanted a 1k 5.8 inch oled iPhone already picked up an x last year I believe they sold about 70 million, I can’t remember if that was for 2 quarters worth of sales or or 3 quarters. So Xs sales aren’t matching the xr or the xs max. Estimates pegged it at around 8-9 million for that quarter. Not good not bad, but adequate.

I suspect that’s why apple is shifting the model down to a 5.4 inch screen for next year.

Reactions: Wide opeN

jjohnstonjr

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
The XR’s sales show how smart Apple users are more than anything. Apple “strategically” released the XS and XS Max prior to the XR knowing good and damn well the results we see here we’re going to be the results we would see. Once folks knew about a more affordable iPhone coming soon why would anyone with a brain run out and buy a $1500 phone? Apple gave their users what they wanted with the XR the sales paid off for them. The XR is an awesome phone inside and out. I feel that anyone crapping on the XR that bought the XS Max or XS are just trying to justify their spending of money for the “higher tier” phones.

Reactions: Royksöpp

Krizoitz

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
It's the perfect iPhone. It's my favorite device. I can go two days without charging it, and that's with heavy use. The camera takes amazing pictures, the screen is perfect, and performance is lightning fast. What's not to love?
The size? The lack of a second lens? If it does what you need and you are happy with it, thats absolutely great, but the size alone makes it a non-starter for me. Honestly I'd prefer a smaller phone than the Xs that I already have. Bigger isn't always better.

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
With the rate at which Android phones have improved over the years, I'm surprised honestly.

Though I think most people are just either ignorant of that fact or don't care.

I bought my dad a used Moto G6 Play recently and my god for $89 refurbished it is a hell of a phone.
When will people understand consumers with any means want their stuff to secure, supported, and to be easy to use across devices? Why would anyone switch to Android when it’s worse on all those things, it’s a hassle to switch, and they are happy on iOS?

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
So, now we know that only a small fraction of smartphones sold by Apple are flagship models. Most sold iPhones now are mid-tier and old models.
20% of 200M phones would still be 40M iPhones. I think it’s clear there is a market for flagship iPhones.

Reactions: FFR

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So, now we know that only a small fraction of smartphones sold by Apple are flagship models. Most sold iPhones now are mid-tier and old models.
It's like when Apple sold "one" flagship the most sold model in that line was the lowest memory model, which was nearly free for contract customers.

givemeanapple

macrumors Demi-God
Oct 2, 2016
Earth
FYI, the iPhone XR has a very serious hardware design flaw !

I/we first discovered it on Oct 27th, the first day we began testing our main app with it.

Took us awhile to figure out the root cause.

The "fancy" Performance Controller (i.e., cpu scheduler) design in the XR's A12 will cause an app to crash when the A12 is pushed hard.

This Hardware Bug ONLY affects High-Perf "CPU-oriented" apps.

To date, NO synthetic benchmark has discovered the issue.

To date, NO OTHER App Dev has discovered the issue.

I/we have tried repeatedly to Get the Word Out to Apple ... NO response ever from them !

As such, the XR has the potential to go down in history as the Great iPhone Cover Up !

Our main app has multiple layers of secret sauce code to limit the negative impact of the problem.

Have NO idea if Apple is able to Fix the Issue via software.

Anybody with our main app can verify that by setting the A11/A12 Bug Fix switch to OFF (see Settings for Photosets).

To us it's extremely sad that Apple chose to sweep this (issue) under the rug !

That told us ALOT about Tim Cook & Phil Schiller ... & maybe the apparently pre-anointed next CEO Jeff Williams.

A 2016 iPhone 7+ should NOT be able to run circles around a 2018 iPhone XR (with any app), but that is precisely what is happening !

At a MIN, the RE-sale value of the iPhone XR "may" plummet when this becomes Common Knowledge ... assuming Apple can't resolve the issue via software.
They probably just throttled the CPU.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
I think the news here is the iPhone XR is outselling the XS by a country mile. 20% for XS+XS Max vs. 50% for XR.

With this in mind I tend to believe that Apple will have to pick up the pace with the XS line.

At this rate I’m tempted to say the S10 line might be outselling the XS?