Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Don909

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
I xxx recall that after iOS 12 on my iPhone SE T Mobile, that LTE was flaky with reduced bars in fringe areas, etc. I [too] wouldn’t be surprised if this is a Wifi Assist issue is with iOS 12, on Xs and Xmax. Apple iOS has had similar issues in the past. I hope these users have identified a target to fix:

From a posting #1:

I’m no expert but I thought I’d chime in with something I tried. I turned off WiFi-assist and it seems it has done the trick. My WiFi speeds are back and cellular issues are gone. Now it could just be a placebo or something but seriously not seeing the issues I had before.

If some of you can give it a try and let me know if you get the same results, at least it’s something we can either pinpoint or rule out.

I am currently now on 12.1 beta 1 and have sent feedback on this issue. But I have had this issue on my iPhone 7 with ios12 betas before picking up my XS. My wife who is also on an ios12 beta on her iPhone 7 is having the same issue and seeing better results with turning WiFi-assist off. Btw, our iPhone 7’s are Verizon phones this have the Qualcomm chips.
[/div]

Turn off Wifi Assist:
To turn off Wi-Fi Assist, launch the Settings app and navigate to Settings -> Cellular (Mobile in some regions) and scroll down to the bottom where you will see Wi-Fi Assist [Cell Network Search]. Tap on the toggle to turn it off

From a posting #2:

Turn off Cell Network Search:
Go to Settings, scroll to Privacy, select Location Services, scroll all the way down to System Services; Turn off Cell Network Search

Likely software and conflicting default preferences causing havoc. And/or using old vs. new SIMs with some providers (in the past) keeping an old SIM serviceable for a few days, maybe deprecated, but network expecting the new SIM paired with IEMI.

These 2 tips were ineffective for my issue (previously noted earlier in thread). Thanks for summarizing them anyway.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I noticed my iphone7 on ATT started switching from LTE to 4g anytime I would make a call after I updated to iOS 12. Before the update I always had a strong LTE signal in my metropolitan area. Currently anything using purely data related items such as checking the weather, stock quotes or news sites remains on LTE. But when I now make a call it switches from a strong LTE signal to a weak 4g signal. I tried it several times to several different contacts with the same results. Since the new iPhones come with iOS12 I wonder if it’s iOS vs a hardware issue. Also after updating to iOS12 I was notified that I needed to update the carrier settings. Later I received a text message that to complete the update to I was required to turn off the phone and turn it on to complete the setup process. Has anyone else also noticed the change after upgrading iOS?

Make sure LTE on your device is set to “Voice & Data” under Settings —> Cellular.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Dear Apple,
thank you that the phone I paid $1600 for is having a hard time using WiFi and keeping my calls, which some of them people can barely hear me. Thank you for quality product, I'm glad that the profit margin you made of me is doing better than my phone.....

Dear KGB,

Thank you for your valuable insights and input into why your phone is acting this way. The price isn't negotiable now nor has it ever been. Please feel free to address us publicly next time if you have something useful to tell us.

Sincerely your biggest fans

Reactions: balaplus

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Dear Apple,
thank you that the phone I paid $1600 for is having a hard time using WiFi and keeping my calls, which some of them people can barely hear me. Thank you for quality product, I'm glad that the profit margin you made of me is doing better than my phone.....
You can return it, you know that? I mean really, why pay $1600 phone for something you cannot even make phone call for? Are you so masochistic that you’re willing to endure that? :D

elitypes

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
Mine's been consistently bad on LTE since I activated. Wi-Fi seems unaffected, though I am using an AirPort Extreme.
I’m using an AirPort Extreme for WiFi as well but my WiFi speeds are still terrible while my iPad, MacBook, and wife’s iPhone have normal speeds.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Why do you people rush and buy brand new products that are very likely to have issues like this? Why not wait several months? I never understood that.

Almost like you guys are asking for issues when buying this soon.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Why do you people rush and buy brand new products that are very likely to have issues like this? Why not wait several months? I never understood that.

Almost like you guys are asking for issues when buying this soon.
I understand your point, but it shouldn’t be this way. Beta testing and real world testing for these devices should be long completed.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Sorry to the folks experiencing this, appears widespread and you can bet this is (or will soon be) priority number 1 at Apple to resolve.

kcslc

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2018
The WiFi thing is ridiculous. My Xs keeps grabbing the 2.4 GHz band. I did what someone else recommended and blocked my MAC address from the 2.4 GHz band and now it grabs onto 5 GHz. Went from 50 Mbps to 220 Mbps.

Currently getting 4 Mbps on AT&T LTE in Seattle. I’m not happy. I don’t remember exactly, but I’m fairly certain I was almost always 20 with my iPhone 8 Plus. I guess I can return it within 2 weeks. :/

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Oh please! What version of the iPhone 4 are you even talking about?! The revised 4-break antenna one? Released for Verizon? The initial version was a joke. It was fine as long as you didn’t touch the left hand-side lower corner of the antenna. That phone was only fine with a case on and unusable in low signal areas if used with bare hands.
You’re the reason Apple has made it as far LOL
If we keep buying these subpar products, they will get only worse!

Please buy something else. You're right, apple products suck.

Now, say bye.

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
I noticed mine has poor ATT reception inside my home. Old iPhone 7 Plus has 4 bars. My new XS Max has only 2.

Reactions: wolfaaron

MacKarmaTech

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2017
Greed is ugly! I’m assuming they got a big fat break on these modems from Intel.

Qualcomm & Apple are in an ugly legal fight right now. Seems that Apple is complaining that Qualcomm is charging too much in royalties to use their modems and Qualcomm is complaining that Apple is trying to get out of contractually paying them what was agreed on by both parties initially in the relationship.

So, Apple being Apple, decided not only to counter sue Qualcomm for "price gouging" with their modems (irony ..be damned), they then decided to try and teach Qualcomm a lesson with their overwhelming economic clout and partner up with Intel to replace Qualcomm's modems with Intel's - which are clearly inferior. Like the MR story on Apple's markup's on flash storage, it would appear that Apple doesn't cotton to being subjected to any form of "price gouging" when it comes to their "premium" iPhone's supply chain.

Apple Inc. basic trillion dollar business model is a simple case of "buying iPhone parts at rock bottom prices, and then gladly reselling the finished product for prices as sky high as their market will bear - as their eye popping profit margins easily testify to .

Cutting corners and fanatical bean counting is why we have a 4-year old Mac Mini & Mac Pro still being sold at their original MSRP..

Last edited:

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
Will be interesting to hear Apple's response.
Hope they handle it better than iPhone 4's antennae gate.

I have an XS awaiting collection, but contemplating cancelling unless it's confirmed to be software or firmware. Not spending a grand to have to deal with issues relating to connectivity and wifi, especially if a fix doesn't come within the 14 day return window.

Free bumpers lol.

My maxed-out Max arrives tomorrow, but I now have no plans to even open the box. I have 2-weeks to return it, and if I verify the antenna issue to be valid, Tim Cook can stick it up his... My 7+ works just fine, but my GF needs a new phone so I figured this would be a viable plan. Damn, I knew I should have waited to compare the new Pixel 3 XL.

Last edited:

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
My maxed-out Max arrives tomorrow, but I now have no plans to even open the box. I have 2-weeks to return it, and if I verify the antenna issue to be valid, Tim Cook can stick it up his... My 7+ works just fine, but my GF needs a new phone so I figured this would be a viable plan.
Open it and see for yourself. Take it back if you think it has issues. Mine seems fine

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
It really varies for me so I can’t say I’m
having issues. I’m in NYC and during the day it gets slower to like 20-60mbps. At night when there’s less congestion I get reallly fast speeds. I have noticed that I get less signal bars, but it hasn’t really impacted the performance. With the X I had more signal bars, but slower download/upload speeds. Btw I have the XS Max now.

Attachments

• 6918F522-6CBE-4D8D-AD1B-AD9E185AF5C8.png
    6918F522-6CBE-4D8D-AD1B-AD9E185AF5C8.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 117
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.