iPhone XS and XS Max Smart Battery Cases Each Have 1,369 mAh Capacity But More Watt-Hours [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Wirecutter's Nick Guy has obtained early access to Apple's new Smart Battery Cases for the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max, and he has shared some notable details and photos about the cases on his Twitter account.

[​IMG]

Most notably, Guy notes the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max cases each have 1,369 mAh battery capacities, making them the lowest-mAh Smart Battery Cases ever released. Apple's older battery cases for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 7 have capacities of 1,877 mAh and 2,365 mAh respectively. See update below.

Apple says the iPhone XS paired with the case offers up to 33 hours of talk time, up to 21 hours of internet use, and up to 25 hours of video playback, while the iPhone XS Max paired with the case offers up to 37 hours of talk time, up to 20 hours of internet use, and up to 25 hours of video playback.

He also notes that the iPhone XS case weighs 3.46 ounces, while the iPhone XS Max case comes in at 3.81 ounces.

Guy provided close-up photos of the new cases and compared them to the older versions. The biggest difference is the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max versions no longer have a chin extending past the bottom of the iPhone.

Apple introduced Smart Battery Cases for the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR yesterday. Each is priced at $129 in the United States, with deliveries and in-store availability slated to begin Friday. Apple says the cases are not compatible with iPhone 8 or iPhone X models, but we'll see how true that is soon.

Update: While the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max Smart Battery Cases have a lower 1,369 mAh rating compared to previous versions, they run at a higher voltage that yields a total of 10.1 Wh of energy. The iPhone 7 version of the case is rated at 8.98 Wh and the iPhone 6/6s version is rated at 7.13 Wh, so the new cases actually have a higher capacity than previous ones.

Article Link: iPhone XS and XS Max Smart Battery Cases Each Have 1,369 mAh Capacity But More Watt-Hours [Updated]

2. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

3. thadoggfather, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019

thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

30% more in price, roughly 50% less capacity (for XR/XS might be fine, but for Max that feels unacceptable), winning!

No matter the engineering constraints of making it thin enough to wirelessly charge, or incorporate charge coils, or whatever...

4. timborama macrumors 6502

timborama

Of course. Maybe they can make a battery case for the battery case. Stackable, like LEGO bricks.

5. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

LOL...with all their billions, still can't get batteries right.

6. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

As long as they always retain that hunchback of Notre Dame hump it is good enough for me.

7. mcbumbersnazzle macrumors newbie

apple back at it again with the penny pinching, who cares about customer satisfaction anymore :)

8. thecastle, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019

thecastle macrumors newbie

thecastle

1369 mAh capacity?? So that means it can only charge the iPhone XS for up to 50%? What a joke

9. infinitejest macrumors 6502

infinitejest

So you get 30% more battery on an iPhone XS Max?! That must be a joke...

10. syklee26 macrumors 6502

Tim Cook can go to hell if you ask me. He really annoys me these days.

11. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

12. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

13. Squuiid macrumors 65816

Squuiid

More importantly, does it work on an iPhone X?

14. John Connor macrumors newbie

They should launch theses with the phones themselves. I'm upgrading in 8 months so won't bother now.

15. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Oh great—less functionality for more money! This seems to be Apple's M.O. now.

16. JohnnyApple$eed macrumors member

JohnnyApple$eed

17. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

18. macjoshua macrumors 6502

Yep, sounds like a typical Apple product these days.

19. macloverHK macrumors member

20. callea macrumors regular

callea

False.
    Read well.
    Its capacity is 10.1 Wh.
    More than previous models.

21. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

22. JohnnyApple$eed macrumors member

JohnnyApple$eed

He’s smoking weed with Elon Musk and Joe Rogan.

23. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

Really getting annoyed by Apple these days. It’s bothering me how they r basically sitting on their high horse able to do what they want and US still buying it. I am really hoping it will bite them in the ass fairly soon. A huge dump to their stock and less and less sales would be welcome. Back to the roots

24. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

So this and the mophie will only charge your phone half way...

Guess I will just throw my Anker battery pack in my backpack on trips in and out of the city.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.