iPhone XS Max iPhone Xs Max black screen of death

kjotwani

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
iPhone Xs Max just won't switch on. Tried the Vol up, Vol Down, Side Power Button procedure but no go. Connected to charger, iTunes nothing works.
Anyone any suggestions apart from going to Apple Store?

Reactions: AZULGRANA

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
iPhone Xs Max just won't switch on. Tried the Vol up, Vol Down, Side Power Button procedure but no go. Connected to charger, iTunes nothing works.
If you are within your 14 day return window, take the box that came with it and return it and rebuy. If outside of the 14 day return window then set up genius bar appointment and have technician take a look at.

furam90

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Mine did this today for about 2 minutes- no way to turn it on. Eventually I plugged it into the charger and mashed buttons and it powered up after a minute or so. (Battery was at 50 percent)

Will2145

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Mine actually did this yesterday.
Screen was unresponsive as was the power/volume buttons. Five minutes later, the screen turned on again. Weird.

YassenX

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2018
My Xs Max 256 GB died today as well, i had it for 16 days. No power, no itunes... Nothing. Tomorrow must go to service.

kjotwani

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Mine suddenly started working in a few hours. Dunno what did the trick. The phone did die thrice after that again but I am on 12.1 beta so for now attributing it to the software.

/macuser

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2013
I had this happen. Vol Up, Vol Down + Power restarted mine. only happened once. I am on the beta

Renho

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
i am also on 12.1 beta 4 and it just turned off for 30 minutes now and wont turn back on. xs max...****

AppleWes

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2013
Not saying the OP does, but I would never trust a beta on my main device. I've seen regular non-beta versions fail enough... can't add beta to to that!

I depend on my phone for work/family/etc, so I guess that plays a major factor too.

Renho

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Not saying the OP does, but I would never trust a beta on my main device. I've seen regular non-beta versions fail enough... can't add beta to to that!

I depend on my phone for work/family/etc, so I guess that plays a major factor too.
So do i, I own my own business and it’s my work phone. I do all major release betas on it. Never had any big issues.

Renho

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
I generally do Beta's towards the end of the beta development phase for the next iOs.
Ya that’s usually a good way to go, beta 4/5 and up...But I’m stupid and want to try all the new crap out.. I never do .1 or .2 betas but I did for 12.1 to see if my reception issue was fixed. It was not.

idntknw

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
I'm not on the beta and this happened to me also. Finally after 30 secs or so after touching buttons it came back.

matsgs

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2018
This is happening to my iXs Max as well. It shuts down, and restarts all by itself. It's happening with a 2-5 minute interval. I have scheduled a phone call tomorrow. I've been on iOS 12.1 beta 3 and 4, and now on the official release of 12.0.1.

Renho

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Mine was off till Apple techs got it back up an hour later. I swore I tried vol up vol down and power but it came on when he did it.

They ran diagnostic and only thing it found was that I was on beta. Nothing else wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.