Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dutch repair site FixjeiPhone today shared a teardown of the iPhone XS, providing us with our first look inside the 5.8-inch model.

A side-by-side comparison shot with the iPhone X reveals that the internal layout of the iPhone XS has not changed significantly, with the most obvious difference being a new single-cell L-shaped battery with a capacity of 2,658 mAh.

iphone-x-vs-iphone-xs-teardown.jpg

The battery was also L-shaped in the iPhone X, but it was a two-cell configuration, instead of a single lithium-ion battery pack.

While the iPhone XS's battery has around 2.2 percent less capacity than the 2,716 mAh battery in the iPhone X, Apple says the iPhone XS gets up to 30 minutes longer battery life than the iPhone X per charge cycle, presumably due to efficiency gains from the A12 Bionic chip and other components.

FixjeiPhone shared a photo of the iPhone XS almost completely disassembled, but it has not labeled any components or manufacturers.

iPhone-XS-teardown-all.jpg

Their video teardown, which can be watched with English subtitles on YouTube, indicates that the display is a bit harder to remove due to stronger seals that help the iPhone XS achieve its improved IP68-rated water resistance.

Repair site iFixit should have more detailed iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max teardowns soon after the devices launch in stores tomorrow.

Article Link: iPhone XS Teardown Reveals New Single-Cell L-Shaped Battery

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
So... Except for the CPU upgrade, the Xs is last year's technology and design. Can someone please explain to me why the price of the phone hasn't gotten cheaper?

Yeah, it's just simple basic business. The actual term we use is "economics".

Price doesn't directly correlate to cost.

Cost is how much you need to spend to build and bring to market.
Price is how much the end user will pay.

asdavis10

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Bermuda
So... Except for the CPU upgrade, the Xs is last year's technology and design. Can someone please explain to me why the price of the phone hasn't gotten cheaper?

Because the market values that design and specs at that price. It isn't as if consumers don't have choices regarding smartphones or iPhones.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
The single L-shaped battery was supposed to increase the capacity according to last years rumours..... what happened? ;)

My guess is the larger “empty” space (without internal cells) will allow for less heat / faster charging. That can improve reliability and LT efficiency of the battery unit.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012

Same reason they never got cheaper on "S" years before. Its a young industry you'll get used to how they roll after a while. ;)

Update and refine the guts some (CPU, Cell Radios & Camera are the big things), keep the price the same. I was hoping they'd drop the X $100, but this is totally inline with what they and Samsung and Google and Motorola and...do pretty much every year...for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyGo

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
There's a whole plethora of small upgrades on the XS, including a RAM bump, better waterproofing, faster LTE chip, better speakers and mics, bigger camera sensor, stronger cover glass, faster Face ID, not to mention all the ongoing software/services/security development, most of which comes included in the price of the phone but is absolutely not free to produce. In what world does that necessitate a price drop? By all means, go complain on the Mac Pro thread about old tech not being discounted enough, but doing it here just makes you look ignorant.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE

Because the components may fit into the same area but they aren’t the same technology. The CPU is a new and much more powerful chip, the A12-(link). In addition, there is more ram available to this years model than to last years, and memory seems to be an expensive addition for any brand of phone, Apple included.

I can’t tell you if that justifies the price but internally there are important upgrades.

Reactions: mejsric

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
If they took out the Taptic Engine, cameras, sensors, and some other parts, there'd be more room for a bigger battery.
Actually, I'd be all-in for that... I'd take the phone without the taptic engine and the whole front camera thing, i.e. the notch can be removed as well. Instead put Touch ID on the back. Dual-Cam is also overrated. Phone can be 1,5mm thicker, I don't mind... still better than protruding camera.

And, yes, I'm well aware that will never happen...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.