Iphone5/4s - ATT or Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iAmPod, Sep 28, 2011.

1. iAmPod macrumors newbie

Considering Iphone5/4s is available on both the carriers ATT and Verizon which one would you choose and why?

I have been ATT customer for long but wouldn't mind switching to Verizon if the Iphone performs better on it.

Also my other consideration would be GSM vs CDMA.If the Iphone 5 doesn't provide the dual capability, I would prefer to go with GSM to have the flexibility to use it with any carriers internationally

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU LIVE.

If you are happy with ATT service don't get dropped calls and 3g data is good why bother switching.

Down here in FL ATT rocks and would not even think of switching.

3. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Between all of my family being on Verizon and my employee discount being 19% (vs 8% on AT&T) I will gladly grab a Verizon iPhone.

Their coverage and signal strength is mostly equal in my area.

4. NJFP macrumors 6502

In my area, Verizon rocks ATT. In the closest "big cities" NY and Philly, ATT rocks. Your choice.

As far as international travel goes, what CDMA ONLY country are you planning on visiting?? Call Verizon first and find out if they offer international plans in the country you would be going to.

5. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

if it's a dual-mode phone, I would imagine you can even roam overseas with the same phone even when there is no CDMA network. And maybe even if you buy an unlocked phone, would you still be able to swap a sim somehow and go off CDMA, not sure how that works with CDMA?

Personally, I'm either going to Sprint or Verizon. I'm done with ATT. And if I can't travel with my phone internationally. So be it. I haven't been overseas in over 5 years. And if I do, I'd only use my phone over wifi hot spots there and buy a pre-paid dumb phone, wherever I am overseas.

6. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Still don't understand why people don't pick the one for the carrier who has the best coverage where you live and where you travel. The iPhone is the exact same for either carrier with the exception that on AT&T you can use the internet while talking on the phone (GSM rather than Verizon's CDMA), and can sim swap and use overseas. If neither of those features is a must, then choose on the best coverage.

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

If one carrier gives substantially better coverage where you live/work than the other, well, the decision there is obvious.

If both carriers give good coverage in your area, I would suggest AT&T. Their 3G data rates tend to be much faster than Verizon's, and you get the ability to use data and voice simultaneously (great for tethering).

8. iAmPod thread starter macrumors newbie

From wat i understand its CDMA (verizon) over GSM(ATT) for better coverage and speeds.
    But if you need to swap SIMS on an unlocked iphone GSM Phone(ATT) would be the best option.
    If iphone 5 is a dual mode it would solve all the issues.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Agreed. It depends were you live. AT&T is much better for me, anyways.

Verizon has better coverage, but AT&T is faster. Verizon can barely pull 0.55Mb/s where I live, but AT&T goes over 3Mb/s in most cases. Swapping SIMs make it easy to transfer your number to different phones, but it can be does on Verizon as well.

I don't think a dual iPhone 5 would solve this issue, unless you were planning on paying for both an AT&T and Verizon account.

10. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Keep in mind that some people don't switch because of current problems, but rather problems they foresee down the line.

I'm one of them. I switched from AT&T to Verizon purely because I have much more confidence in Verizon's LTE planning, rollout, and support than I do AT&T.

In the end, that really was my reasoning. The proof is in the fact that Verizon performs much worse for me than AT&T and I don't mind. I'm sticking to my future needs and sacrificing my present.

11. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

I'm going with ATT since their 3G speeds are much better, even if their service is spotty in NYC.

Also, if rumors prove true and the iPhone 5/4S have HSPA+, then the ATT version will be running circles around the Verizon one.

12. applefan289, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

applefan289 macrumors 68000

I am in Florida (Pembroke Pines) and use T-Mobile right now. I asked this question a while back about whether at&t or Verizon was better.

If I ever got an iPhone, I would get at&t because:

Better indoor reception
    Talk + Surf (not sure if this relates to 4G/iPhone 5)
    Removable SIM card should I ever decide to switch services (not sure if this relates to iPhone 5 either.)

13. NJFP macrumors 6502

I think he means dual like the blackberry phones. My bold could be used anywhere, it had a SIM card, and I was on Verizon with it.