Iphone5 or Galaxy S3

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by naths, Sep 18, 2011.

1. naths macrumors 6502

The Samsung Galaxy S3..ok 6 months away....u better start catching up Apple..lol

- Samsung is planning to reveal the Samsung Galaxy S III at the 2012 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

- The specifications for the SGSIII are of course subject to change, but are Samsung-developed 2.0GHz quad-core CPU (no codename given), 1.5gb RAM, 32gb internal memory (with sd card slot), and a 4.65 inch screen. A new display called Super AMOLED III is being developed specifically for the phone (SGS had Super AMOLED, SGS II had Super AMOLED Plus, SGS III has Super AMOLED III) with 1280x1024 resolution, giving the phone a ppi of 352, which they emphasized that a 352ppi will make it the highest ppi mobile phone.
    - The reason for no demo phone was that the screen technology was still in the final stages of design and production of them have not started.
    - The device is 9mm thick, has a metal and glass body (a really clean, shiny look to it in the pictures), has a 2250mAh battery, 10 megapixel camera and is capable of shooting 1080p video at 60 frames per second.

- The phone will come with an inbuilt NFC chip.
    - The phone will have Androids latest Ice Cream Sandwich software and an all new TouchWiz 5 which has been in co-development with Google during the development of the Galaxy Nexus, so according to the Samsung representatives, it isn’t as “intrusive to Android” as previous TouchWiz versions were. It seems TouchWiz will play a minor role and only have little improvements to ICS. It won’t control the user experience.
    - One of the reasons why they’re not going with a full TouchWiz experience is for a few reasons, one being that the ICS experience is very user friendly already and also it will also Samsung to update software on their phones at a faster rate than they have in the past.
    - Price wasn’t revealed, but for all the specs of the phone, I’m guessing it’ll be very expensive.

2. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Samsung Galaxy S3. :D

I'll get the iPhone 5 (or maybe Nexus Prime) though and sell it nearer to the release of the SGS3. :)

3. naths thread starter macrumors 6502

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

"Never commit your happiness to the future" - C.S. Lewis

5. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

It's 6 months away and we know all of these specs? iPhone 5 is just month away and all we know is that it will run iOS 5 :)

6. LoganT macrumors 68020

It's probably 6 months away for Europe, but 12 months away for US. By the time the S3 comes out, iPhone 6 will be coming out.

7. naths thread starter macrumors 6502

yep and then the GalaxyS4.....so the cycle continues...

8. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Do you realize how much that a 1.5GB RAM card for a phone costs? There's a reason that phone's havent increased their RAM to that level yet. It's not cost effective.

And I could see a 1.5 GHz processor, not a 2.0 GHz.

Plus, Apple could blow us away and give us a phone that is 350 PPI, who knows.

Apple is planning something big for the iP5, they have to be. They just aren't ignorant, like Samsung and blurt out the purported specs to say, "look what we can do". They let their tech do the talking.

9. naths thread starter macrumors 6502

Ummm so do samsung...!!!...why are u slagging samsung off?...and I'm sure you know that apple arnt planning anything massive...face it mate there is more to life than apple??,I'm sure i read somewhere that apple were trying to use samsung screens?...i hope samsung told em to jog on....

If apple and samsung keep the pace of development up,we will all benefit??...well at least with samsungs sensible pricing some of us will,their products from TVs,computers,phones even washing machines arnt ridiculously overpriced !!

10. Hey! macrumors member

I totally hate the fact that samsung just keeps blurting out their specs, what are they trying to prove?! But on the other side, it'd be all good for business, at least apple knows that there's a strong competitor coming in terms of hardware, then in the end the consumers profits

11. ap3604 macrumors 68000

If your gonna try to start a flamewar at the very least link a source of said imaginary phone...

12. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I think the better question is, iPhone 8 or Galaxy S6. Decisions decisions...

13. amdmaxx macrumors member

that specs for GSG III are sweet. I bet VZ version will have LTE too. Looking forward to Ice cream features.

IP5/6 better deliver something spectacular or Android will eat away market share..

14. naths thread starter macrumors 6502

15. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

sorry, kid. But how about you wait for the products to be announced first?
    And let's be honest, it's not about the specs, as the iPhone 4 is still the best consumer smartphone, and I believe the iPhone will keep that throne for quite a while.

Actually, the iPhone 5 is set out to be massive. So yes, he's right.

16. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

The iPhone 6 is going to wreck the GS3 which is going to be wrecked by the GS4 which is going to be wrecked by the iPhone 7.. You never win. The best thing for a consumer to do is buy a future-proof phone and dig in for the two year wait.

17. naths thread starter macrumors 6502

don't talk utter crap how can a phone over a year old be as quick as the latest releases.....good as the iphone4 is,its not as quick as most smartphones out there...im sure if some of the big manufacturers nokia sony etc built a phone that would run iOS they would be a lot better than apples version....does crap antenna,crap glass ring any bells?

18. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Wow, it's called grammar dude.

But anyways, Samsung blatently steal Apple's designs. If you don't think that, you'd be absurd. Apple sued Microsoft back in the day and won the same arguement. Microsoft, however, turned that around and tried to make the world believe that they "saved" Apple by investing 150 million dollars into the company. In reality, they had to, as agreement to the settlement.

People have been copying Apple for 20 years. It's nothing new, and Apple will not stop calling people out on it, and that's the way it should be.

If these people want to put a 5.75" screen and a 3.1Ghz processor in a phone and you want to call it innovation, that's sad, but i'll keep believing the truth, and that is that none of these people would be anywhere today if Apple didn't create the iPhone and force the carriers to do things that they never wanted to do in the first place; give the power to the phone manufacturers.

19. Obese Lobsters macrumors member

I think the more accurate would be that the iPhone 6 is going to wreck the GS3 and the GS3 will be wrecked by the next 5-10 android phones that come out and those 5-10 android phones will be wrecked by the iPhone 7. So your advice seems most logical.

20. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

lol, i never said i liked the iPhone 4. You're mixing opinion with fact. And that's a bad mixture.

Here's a source for you.

The iPhone 4 is fast. It runs iOS 4 and will be running iOS 5 seamlessly. But yes, i would pick a Galaxy S2 with iOS anytime. But thankfully, the way the rumors are going, the iPhone 5 will be just that.

Again, it's not about specs, it's about the experience the phone delivers, and the iPhone does just that.

21. charliecc macrumors regular

Oohh what a choice between a phone I haven't seen yet and a phone I haven't seen yet.

FYI it's not all about speed, it's about functionality. There are "faster" phones on the market than the iPhone 4, and I've tried quite a few of them. I'd take the iPhone over any one of them.

22. naths, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

naths thread starter macrumors 6502

give up on here.....if apple put their name on 1940 sherman tank people on here would still say its better that a M1 abrams or challenger tank!!!

23. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

No, it's because the iPhone delivers great user experience.

The iPhone 5 might be dated spec wise, but won't be dated functionality wise, and that's what matters the most to consumers.

Wait, did you just say:
    Because a few minutes back you said this:

24. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Dated? Because the iPhone 4 is so dated?

As we've stated 100 times, in order for a phone to be dated, it has to stop selling, and it is STILL selling like wildfire.

It still has the best camera of any phone, and it still runs smoother than any other phone.

Now that that has been said, how did Apple copy Nokia? Did Nokia ever release a Capative Touchscreen phone with a native OS that ran a full internet browser with an App Store that 3rd party developers could create apps for?

I think not.

Reach, i think this may be a lost cause :D

25. Catch macrumors 6502

Absolutely spot on. They can stick a 5Ghz thing in there but it will still take me the same time to type my text or pull up that contact to dial. Its a slick phone with a slick os. Thats what has me going back for the iPhone 5. I guess if I was in to playing games I might have a different opinion and want more power etc. Different strokes for different folks :)

Have a nice day people :)