Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last year, the iPhone 6 Plus had one camera feature the iPhone 6 did not: optical image stabilization for photos, which automatically adjusts the camera sensor to make up for any shakiness the camera may endure. With the iPhone 6s Plus, Apple has added optical image stabilization for video as well as still images. Tonight, Giga Tech has uploaded a new video that shows off the 6s Plus' optical image stabilization versus the iPhone 6s.

While the iPhone 6s doesn't have optical image stabilization, it does have digital image stabilization, which is the camera's software accounting for any shakiness. Giga Tech notes that digital image stabilization works well when the iPhone 6s is shooting in Full HD 1920x1080, but that it's not as effective when shooting in 4K, as shown in the video.

The video, which takes place in an old, abandoned airplane, offers a striking comparison of the two device's video capabilities. While the iPhone 6s footage looks fine on its own, the contrast to the smoother iPhone 6s Plus footage makes its shakiness seem more pronounced.

Article Link: 4K Video from iPhone 6S Plus Shows Striking Advantage of Optical Image Stabilization

Rocketman

macrumors 603
So this is a +$100 feature all by itself? Come on. Have all same year updates have the same feature set despite screen size. Pay for screen size. Heck, have a +$100 double battery feature on all models which, since the cost basis is negligible, have far higher margins.

Margins for features users NEED, good, right?

P.S. Get a camera tripod for 4K.

Rocketman

Last edited:

EldonChew

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2011
Singapore
i could of sworn this was the already standard on iPhone 6 Plus?

The 6 Plus' OIS doesn't work on videos.
dAhS9G5.png

Attachments

• dAhS9G5.png
    dAhS9G5.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 87,990

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I doubt 6S+ camera with OIS takes up much more space than the camera on the 6S. I hate the fact fact that I am making a compromise buying the 6S now. Honestly I would pay $100 more for this on the regular 6S. This is total BS in my opinion to get people to spend $100 more. I'm already paying $200 for 128GBs, why am I getting an inferior product? I cannot walk comfortably with an iPhone 6S+ in my pocket, belt holsters make an ugly bulge under my shirt, so how else am I suppose to carry it (somewhat fashionably)?

Da Hurdler

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2015
Florida
What about HD vs HD? Cant see myself shooting 4k very often due to all the memory it would eat up.
i completely agree. 4k thats cool and all but i want to know what i will be using as standard with is Hd. Unless we get some specs in regards to how much storage 4k versus 1080 being applied.

Da Hurdler

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2015
Florida
What about HD vs HD? Cant see myself shooting 4k very often due to all the memory it would eat up.
i completely agree. 4k thats cool and all but i want to know what i will be using as standard with is Hd. Unless we get some specs in regards to how much storage 4k versus 1080 being applied.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
If I had a 6s, I would probably want to shoot videos in 4k just to downsample them again to 1080p. The space seems wasted with 4k, but I guess it's nice to have the full sensor for the details.

freeskier93

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
According to Apple's spec page there is no cinematic stabilization (digital stabilization) for 4K video. I would imagine 12 megapixels isn't big enough for it.

Reactions: Imory and arn

samlikesmac

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010

I've seen the settings page on the approximate storage of each HD resolution for one minute of video and it's around 380 MB/minute.

Reactions: loveandhavefun

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
i could of sworn this was the already standard on iPhone 6 Plus?
I thought so too. I don't remember reading or hearing anywhere before that the OIS did not apply to video.

In fact, Youtube is full of videos showing off the OIS on the 6 Plus vs the 6, because most people apparently thought the OIS worked for videos, and they felt they saw a difference. If the OIS is indeed not available for videos on the 6 Plus, then this was one of the biggest technical placebo effects ever!

TheNormsk

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2015
Colorado
So glad I got a 128GB +. That video is so much smoother.

One thing I noticed is that the HD was a lot brighter than the 4K. Might this be due to pixel size and the amount of light it can capture? I agree with other posters I would like to see what this can do with HD as 4K is not much use to me at the moment.

Reactions: AleXXXa

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
But what does the same video look like when you remove the shakiness as you import to FCPX and then downsample to 1080? That's going to be more likely, surely?

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Can't wait, mine arrives today. Really looking forward to shoot some 4K with it at the Yorkshire Air Show tomorrow. I have bought a steady cam gyroscopic rig for mine as it's just a 6S, so should work extremely well.

Reactions: orbital~debris

freeskier93

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
I thought so too. I don't remember reading or hearing anywhere before that the OIS did not apply to video.

In fact, Youtube is full of videos showing off the OIS on the 6 Plus vs the 6, because most people apparently thought the OIS worked for videos, and they felt they saw a difference. If the OIS is indeed not available for videos on the 6 Plus, then this was one of the biggest technical placebo effects ever!

If you look at the spec pages for the 6+ and 6s+ you'll find OIS is listed as a photo feature but is not listed under video, for the 6+. For the 6s+ OIS is listed under both photo and video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.