Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
I think it's really pretty dumb...the fob has many more features and you don't have to get it out of your pocket.
Didn't read the 4th paragraph, did you?

Similar to credit cards and boarding passes, digital car keys are stored in the Wallet app on an iPhone or Apple Watch running iOS 13.6 or watchOS 6.2.8 or newer. The feature originally used NFC technology only, which required the iPhone or Apple Watch to be held near the vehicle, but a new version of the feature based on Ultra Wideband technology allows users to use the feature without having to remove their ‌iPhone‌ from their pocket.

Last edited:

AKcars

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2020
I have had this for a few months now on my 2021 BMW M5. It works 50% of the time. I have tried several times leaving my house with just my phone as the key and many times I am standing outside my car looking like I am trying to break in for 15 minutes. The phone as a key to start the car works great. Unlocking and locking suck.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I do hope this comes to Hyundai, as well, since my 2020 Sonata Limited works with the Android version.

Though my car comes off-lease this December and I have been impressed with Genesis... :p

VictorTango777

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
Just like laptop travelers who don’t bother to bring their power and display adapters with them, are we going to see people bringing in their cars for service without the original keys and also not wanting to hand over their phones :D ?

MacRumorUser78

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2014
Just like laptop travelers who don’t bother to bring their power and display adapters with them, are we going to see people bringing in their cars for service without the original keys and also not wanting to hand over their phones :D ?
Is there a feature to give temporary access?

Xials

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2007
I think it's really pretty dumb...the fob has many more features and you don't have to get it out of your pocket.
"The feature originally used NFC technology only, which required the iPhone or Apple Watch to be held near the vehicle, but a new version of the feature based on Ultra Wideband technology allows users to use the feature without having to remove their ‌iPhone‌ from their pocket."

Reactions: kmm333

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
I walk to my Tesla and it unlocks. I walk away it locks. It's already "running" when I get in. I don't see that Apple has to do anything with that. CarPlay is another story. I really want that. NOW.
uh-okay-oh-you-fancy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: DocMultimedia

gbc204

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2011
But not having a key fob, which for me is a big chunk of my keys, is less "keys". Get a smart lock for your house and now your really slimming down!
Yeah, I have a smart lock, a smart garage door, and two cars I can start with my phone. One of those cars is a Genesis, but not supported for the NFC car key yet. It's weird that they'd make the GV60 the first of the SUVs to get it, since it's not even out yet.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Well, they are staring at the bottom. Next up is Hundyai.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I wonder why the Genesis G70 isn’t supported, but the G90 is? Am I missing something why that wouldn’t be supported, in terms of like certain vehicle technology that the G70 doesn’t have?

Hornet9988

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
I’m very much hoping this feature rolls out to my new Kia EV6.
Not holding my breath though, the car doesn’t have wireless CarPlay which is crazy in 2022 for a hot new tech-filled car.

Reactions: miamialley

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Is there a feature to give temporary access?
Cars without metal keys (so with "wireless" keys) let you drive without the key in the car until you turn it off. So you can start it with the key inside and they can drive it to where it's needed. Great for valets.

And yes there is temporary access keys on the Apple Car Key system too but they need an iPhone with proper NFC and that's not a given, but basically it sends the info needed over iMessage and they accept it into their wallet.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Can’t the signal just be stolen between your phone and car like the key fob, you can buy little pouches for key fobs that block the signal so,it can’t be stolen though.
Keyless start is a convenience thing that’s not very secure these days.

clive27

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Can’t the signal just be stolen between your phone and car like the key fob, you can buy little pouches for key fobs that block the signal so,it can’t be stolen though.
Keyless start is a convenience thing that’s not very secure these days.
I don't know how it's implemented, but I'm sure it's not just the same dumb code transmitting to unlock the car. There would be several handshakes with one time random key to authenticate. So, recording and replaying the packets won't work.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
Fobs are not as secure.. think of apple watch your way into your car
I have used it for my X7 and stupid to pull out of your pocket to hold up to handle for about 6 seconds to unlock. Otherwise, my fob unlocks when I leave and come automatically about 10 feet from the vehicle. I can triple press the lock button and in 2 seconds my vehicle starts. Way more hassle than through the app. I'll stick with the fob until tech matures significantly.

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
This is more cumbersome then just using my keyless fob.
That it is. The list of cars capable says that both my Accord and CR-V are capable but I've never heard that they actually are.

Anyways, all I have to do is touch the handle on either car to unlock it so a card or phone is pointless and both lock when I walk away.

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
That it is. The list of cars capable says that both my Accord and CR-V are capable but I've never heard that they actually are.
If you’re looking at the Apple list that was linked, it’s actually listing cars that are CarPlay capable, with ones with a key next to it indicating they are also Car Key capable. Only 2021 and later BMWs were compatible, and certain Kias and Genesis cars became compatible today.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
You didn’t read the article, did you?

The newer version of Carkey works using the U1 ultra wide band chip which means you don’t need to remove it from your pocket.

I don’t see how this wouldn’t have the same functionality as a key fob? Most systems like this allow for preheating and cooling which most key fobs don’t support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.