iPhone 6(S)(+) iPhones don't actually support multitasking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alexjholland, Mar 22, 2018.

1. alexjholland macrumors 6502

alexjholland

If I'm in a graphic-editing app on my iPhone, switch to Safari and back, I can lose all my data in the graphics app.

It doesn't look like iPhones actually support multitasking at all?

Pretty pathetic!

2. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

It supports highly limited multitasking. All of those are carefully curated to “conserve the battery while not sacrificing too much of the user experience”.

3. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

alexjholland

Like a life support machine that turns off to save power?

Useless. How laughable to think anyone at Apple believe someone might willingly replace a computer with an iOS device.

4. Raist3001 macrumors 65816

Raist3001

I fixed your statement :)

5. Wyckham macrumors regular

Even the iPad multitaking is limited to a few apps isnt it?

Yep - whats a PC ad by Apple.... Its a thing far more capable than an iOS :D

6. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

alexjholland

Multi-tasking that doesn't save data.. simply isn't multi-tasking.. no?

7. GtrDude macrumors 6502

GtrDude

iOS is waaayyyyy........behind Android in so many things.

8. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

You are suffering from iOS bad RAM management which closes the Apps in background to free up RAM to open the new App.

9. spac3duck macrumors regular

Wouldn't it come down to the developer of the graphic-editing app to make sure they are properly utilising the RAM of said iOS device rather than Apple?

10. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

alexjholland

It would be nice to be informed about this by iOS, before it decides to wipe 10 minutes of edits I've made!

If a computer did this, you'd take it back to the shop.

11. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Yeah, I agree. iOS has no smart multitasking, it actually has no multitasking at all and never will to "save power" so Apple can squeze their tiny batteries in their iPhones and add Notches on top.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 22, 2018 ---
    What about Apple adding a bit more RAM into their $1000 phones just like cheap Android OEM's do? 3GB is too little these days.

12. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Just curious…

1. This graphics app, does it have a save function? Or are you in the habit of not saving things after a series of minor changes or one major change?

2. Why are you using a phone and not a computer to do graphic design?

Your answer to number 2 will probably be something along the lines of "I'm with a customer, only device I had, a laptop is too heavy to carry around", etc.

No offense, but if that is one of your answers I don't consider that much more than an excuse.

However, I sit in front of a MacPro with three screens, four other computers and my laptop all day doing graphic design for a small newspaper. So what do I know.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

iOS is not supposed to work that way. Macs either, for that matter. (Ideally) Adobe aside, most Apple software saves your work as you do it.

Now, I have no knowledge as to whether the OP's problem is Apple's fault or his app's fault, but I do know that it is not HIS fault for the way he is using the software.

14. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

No issues with multitasking on my iPhone X or iPad Pro. I believe the 6 Plus only had 1GB of RAM, that is likely the issue.

15. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

OK, I'll concede the point if it's an Apple app. But any Adobe software I've used on an iPhone for personal stuff has always had an option to save - even if it was to Adobe's own space.

I imagine you can do a lot of things with design work using Apple apps, either on a Mac or an iDevice.

I just wouldn't know though. I've done this for 19 years now and it's either been QuarkXPress, InDesign, Photoshop or Illustrator.

16. orev macrumors 6502

Apps don't have and are not supposed to require the user to save work. It should happen automatically.

And that's the real issue. The developer of your app is not properly handling the well-known situation where this occurs. Apps are supposed to be written so they can handle being killed at any time and make sure the data is in the correct state. This is a bug in the app you're using.

17. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Maybe I'm just old school then.

I was taught to save your work and to save often.

18. orev macrumors 6502

Your analogy is silly and seems to be designed to place blame on the user instead of addressing the real problem. You simply cannot compare full blown applications with a very long history running on a desktop OS to apps written to run on IOS devices with these well-known limitations. IOS app developers need to handle this situation correctly, and if they don't it's a bug in the app, full stop.

19. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

You say the analogy is silly.

Sure, if you are using an iDevice to do design work that properly calls for a computer.

Sorry, if I tried to do ad design, layout, composition, legals and classifieds on an iPhone and then ship a 32-48 page newspaper to our printer my boss would be apopletic.

I've already condeded the point about bad app design on the iDevice. But this is now about bad procedure.

Apple pushes replacing your computer with an iPhone or an iPad. And that is silly!

20. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

alexjholland

I'm making dank memes. Very important. And my iPhone should be more than capable.

21. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

It is likely a feature in iOS that is attempting to spare us having to endure more memes
    I applaud Apple for this

22. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

alexjholland

Nah. Steve loved dank memes.

Why else did he invent the iPhone?

23. now i see it macrumors 68030

This is the limitation of the iPhone 6. As mentioned previously, it only has 1GB of ram. If you jump over to another app while using a memory intensive app like a graphics editor, iOS has to quit it to clear the ram to be available for the new app you launched. There's no way to prevent this except to never switch apps while using your graphics editor or save the work before switching.

24. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

FWIW, people who are complaining about “bad” ram management on iOS, should watch this video.

Every app developer has the option to optimise their apps. Some sloppy third grade developer didn’t do their job properly, doesn’t mean it’s Apple who is to blame.

Thanks

25. spac3duck macrumors regular

It's more likely that Apple are quite capable but your 'dank meme' graphics app developer is not.

It's like trying to blame Ford for the performance of the Yokohama tyres you put on the car.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 22, 2018 ---
    Or just have a read of some of these:
    "The system tries to keep as many apps in memory at the same time as it can, but when memory runs low it terminates suspended apps to reclaim that memory. Apps that consume large amounts of memory while in the background are the first apps to be terminated."