Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I don't need a video to help me understand RAM management.

This is 2018, not 2015. 3GB of RAM is not enough.

Just take a look at all the speed test videos on Youtube. Every phone with 6GB of RAM performs better at multitasking than the iPhone X.

The iPhone X is not a perfect phone. Stop trying to convince everyone it is.
The only reason I use the iPhone X as the my phone is because right now it is the best Apple has got and I don't want to use Android.

I never said iPhone X is the best phone. I didn’t buy one this year and went with a 8 plus instead but your comments don’t have any logic, I was only trying to educate on the matter.

You can believe whatever you feel like, doesn’t change the fact and reality.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
It really depends on the OS and the optimization going on. I can use my Macbook Air 11 2015 with 4GB of ram, have Chrome with 20 tabs up, Word, xcode, and various other things running and not even be in the red for memory management. Windows 10 with similar setup? Hah.

Android has gotten a lot better but it is not as efficient as iOS is. So 6GB of ram on Android is not 6GB of ram on iOS. Add on all the stuff Android can have loading it down - Samsung's Touchwiz, etc... I see quite a few iPhone 6/6+ phones out there in the wild with 1GB of ram.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
Apple's greatest strength has been that they can very closely tune the OS and hardware. This has traditionally led to a requirement of less required RAM on both iPhones and Macs than is required for Android or Windows PCs. Android phones have more RAM because they need to have more RAM.

Reactions: spac3duck

spac3duck

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2017
I don't need a video to help me understand RAM management.
Are you sure about that?

This is 2018, not 2015. 3GB of RAM is not enough.
YMMV

Just take a look at all the speed test videos on Youtube. Every phone with 6GB of RAM performs better at multitasking than the iPhone X.
If more is better, why aren't the competitors running 64GB+ RAM?

Everything is a balancing act/compromise. Appease the customers who want a UHD display and you annoy those who want a larger internal HDD, cater to those who want to go wireless via bluetooth and you annoy those who prefer a wired analogue jack.

iOS devices can and do multitask. However, what is sufficient for one person may vary greatly compared to another person.

The OP is (likely) running apps created for 2018+ devices on his 2014 device which only has 1GB of RAM. The same argument is for complaining that the latest computer games won't work in the best case scenario (i.e. highest resolution/textures etc) on a four year old computer. Sometimes you just need to update your hardware to get the best performance. (#Insert anticipation of someone now complaining about 'Planned obsolescence')
[doublepost=1521907495][/doublepost]
What about Apple adding a bit more RAM into their $1000 phones just like cheap Android OEM's do? 3GB is too little these days.
At the end of the day, it's a balancing act on Apple's behalf. The bonus is that they have the upper hand because they control the hardware and software sides of things whereas Android doesn't.

Personally, I would prefer Apple to put a bucket load more money towards the camera component of their phones i.e. increase the sensor size but that would not appease those who want a better battery life, or a better screen or a better etc.

How many people are going to be involved with using more than three applications at once on their mobile phone? If so, it begs the question, is a 4-5.8" screened device with touch input, really the best option to be using in that use case? (Example linked to mobile phones only considering the OP complaint and you're suggestion of a bit more RAM in Apple phones)

Reactions: akash.nu and chabig

mgmtpills

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2018
Are you sure about that?

If more is better, why aren't the competitors running 64GB+ RAM?

More is better. That's why even budget phones in 2018 are sold with 6GB of RAM minimum. And that's why even £300 phones perform better at multitasking than the £1149 iPhone X.

How many people are going to be involved with using more than three applications at once on their mobile phone? If so, it begs the question, is a 4-5.8" screened device with touch input, really the best option to be using in that use case?

What a ridiculous question. I would hazard a guess and say most people will be using more than 3 apps at the same time. :D

I will give you a simple scenario. When I am on the train, I like to watch Netflix, reply to iMessage, Whatsapp and email. So you're saying the iPhone X is not capable of this and I should pull out my Macbook Pro for these tasks? Stop being ridiculous.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
More is better. That's why even budget phones in 2018 are sold with 6GB of RAM minimum. And that's why even £300 phones perform better at multitasking than the £1149 iPhone X.

What a ridiculous question. I would hazard a guess and say most people will be using more than 3 apps at the same time. :D

I will give you a simple scenario. When I am on the train, I like to watch Netflix, reply to iMessage, Whatsapp and email. So you're saying the iPhone X is not capable of this and I should pull out my Macbook Pro for these tasks? Stop being ridiculous.

As I said, you’re just not willing to learn and just want to carry on harping about your opinion without substance.

Ps. FYI - the flagship google Pixel 2 only comes with 4GB RAM & the other “cheap” devices you’re mentioning about, only uses the numbers for marketing rather than actual usage. This has always been the case with third party Android manufacturers. They have to sell their devices somehow. People like you follow their marketing undoubtedly. Also, not every RAM functions equally, so no more is not better.

Reactions: chabig

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Are you for real? You are defending the iPhone 8+/X 3GB RAM with an argument that a competitor phone has more RAM? :D

What a ridiculous argument.

I’m saying more in not better, then Google themselves wouldn’t put 4GB in their latest flagship device when - as you mentioned - other cheaper Android phones have 6-8GB RAM. Seriously, you’re making yourself look worse and worse with every comment here.

Personally, this would be my last comment towards you directly.

mgmtpills

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2018
I’m saying more in not better, then Google themselves wouldn’t put 4GB in their latest flagship device when - as you mentioned - other cheaper Android phones have 6-8GB RAM. Seriously, you’re making yourself look worse and worse with every comment here.

Personally, this would be my last comment towards you directly.

If more is not better then why do the iPhone 8+/X not come with 2GB or RAM? :D
If more is not better why does the Pixel 2 have 4GB and not 3GB of RAM?

Please continue to entertain me and defend how less RAM is better than more RAM.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I don't get why some are defending a mere 3gb of ram, as if it's a bad thing to have more ram.

Some people are saying, numbers don’t matter, performance does. Android, by design, requires a bit more RAM than iOS to optimally function. On top of that you put the third party device manufacturers bloatware / skin then it gets worse. This is why they put more and more RAM to counter their sloppy OS level integration and also as a marketing strategy.

iOS doesn’t need either of that and time and again real world usage has proven that.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

Please continue to entertain me and defend how less RAM is better than more RAM.

Don’t worry mate, you carry on believing whatever you feel like. No problems. ‍♂️

mgmtpills

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2018
iOS doesn’t need either of that and time and again real world usage has proved that.

Have you looked at all the speedtests on YouTube? The iPhone X is losing to cheaper phones with more RAM.

Sure in 2016 when the iPhone 7+ came out it was king. That was when most Android phones had 4GB or less RAM.
Now in 2017/8 the iPhone is no longer king. It cannot keep up with phones that have more RAM.
[doublepost=1521913210][/doublepost]
Don’t worry mate, you carry on believing whatever you feel like. No problems. ‍♂️

Let's all join akash.nu and pray the next iPhone goes back to its root with 128MB of RAM. Because obviously less is more.

spac3duck

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2017
That's why even budget phones in 2018 are sold with 6GB of RAM minimum.

Here are the phones with 6GB of RAM or more. You can't say that they are "budget" phones, let alone worth $300!

You can have a car with more horsepower than someone else but that doesn't make you any safer?
You can have a car with more horsepower than someone else but that doesn't make you much faster?
(If you have difficulty understanding those simple principles, on top of the video that was produced, then I'm with Akash and leaving you to your own trolling heart's content)
But please continue to entertain us with your logical fallacies.

Most people would agree that additional RAM would be nice to have in generally every scenario and I'm not "defending" Apple in their choice to use 3GB of RAM but it is all dependent on the scenario.

It's ridiculous to think you "must" have/need more than 3GB of RAM to complete the tasks you want to achieve in your scenario above. That's not to say we can't put more into the phones but, as my position from the start has always been, the developer of the app need to ensure they are optimising their applications for optimal RAM management.

Reactions: chabig

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Disclaimer: All my posts honest. I am not one of these people who defends Apple like their life depended on it.

I own the iPhone X and it is impossible to multitask on it. 3GB of RAM is simply not enough.

If I
  • watch a YouTube video
  • pause it to reply an iMessage
  • visit a website on Chrome
  • switch back to YouTube, the paused video is lost and the app has to reload

Android phones have 6GB+ of RAM for less than half the price of the iPhone X. It is unbelievable how Apple are too cheap to even offer 4GB of RAM for a £/$1000 phone.
Sounds like a oneplus 5t is what you really want. Its $549 or so.

Regime2008

Suspended
Oct 3, 2017
Basshead in ATL
Some people are saying, numbers don’t matter, performance does. Android, by design, requires a bit more RAM than iOS to optimally function. On top of that you put the third party device manufacturers bloatware / skin then it gets worse. This is why they put more and more RAM to counter their sloppy OS level integration and also as a marketing strategy.

iOS doesn’t need either of that and time and again real world usage has proven that.
It's funny you say that, as even the older Androids with 2gb of ram, multitask much better than iPhones. It's more so because of the limitations of ios and how it pauses background processes. Android on the other hand handles backgrounds process better, without having to pause them, while another app is in the foreground. With 4-6gb of ram, they have even better multitasking, than a phone that costs over $1000. Maybe you should learn a thing or two about ram management and how Android and ios work, before trying to "teach" other people.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It's funny you say that, as even the older Androids with 2gb of ram, multitask much better than iPhones. It's more so because of the limitations of ios and how it pauses background processes. Android on the other hand handles backgrounds process better, without having to pause them, while another app is in the foreground. With 4-6gb of ram, they have even better multitasking, than a phone that costs over $1000. Maybe you should learn a thing or two about ram management and how Android and ios work, before trying to "teach" other people.

It’s funny how two completely different OS approaches multitasking differently and still people keep moaning about it even after 7 years of same thing. It’s different strategies and different costs either way. There’s no one right thing to do here. There’s a reason why Android devices are resource hungry.

mgmtpills

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2018
You can have a car with more horsepower than someone else but that doesn't make you any safer?
You can have a car with more horsepower than someone else but that doesn't make you much faster?

RAM != speed (or horsepower in your stupid scenario).
A better analogy would be, more RAM would be having a 5 seater car compared to a 2 seater.

i.e. I want to be able to switch between 5 apps before apps are reloaded. I don't want all apps reloading after switching between 2 apps.

[doublepost=1521915053][/doublepost]
Sounds like a oneplus 5t is what you really want. Its $549 or so.

It would be better for me in terms of multitasking but I don't get along with Android phones.

As I said before. The iPhone X is Apple best phone at the moment, that's why I use it.
In fact, I like my iPhone X; but just because I like my iPhone X doesn't mean I can't or shouldn't criticise it.

Last edited:

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
A better analogy would be, more RAM would be having a 5 seater car compared to a 2 seater.
[doublepost=1521915053][/doublepost]

It would be better for me in terms of multitasking but I don't get along with Android phones.

As I said before. The iPhone X is Apple best phone at the moment, that's why I use it.
In fact, I like my iPhone X; but just because I like my iPhone X doesn't mean I can't or shouldn't criticise it.
I also wish the phones had more ram, but that's more so for future proofing. I've never had an issue yet with my phone, but 4gb would obviously be a bit nicer.

Regime2008

Suspended
Oct 3, 2017
Basshead in ATL
It’s funny how two completely different OS approaches multitasking differently and still people keep moaning about it even after 7 years of same thing. It’s different strategies and different costs either way. There’s no one right thing to do here. There’s a reason why Android devices are resource hungry.
But if Android phones could multitask better than iPhones, regardless if it's 2gb or 6gb of ram, than the fact still remains. It doesn't mean it is resource hungry, it just means manufactures make better devices (and for less money), that incorporate more ram to enable it's users to truly multitask. If I'm spending $1000 on a phone in 2018, it better be able to run more than 5 apps without refreshing them. There is no reason for apple to be so stingy on ram, yet charge apple tax for a device that can't beat Androids in day to day usage.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
true multitasking is better on android like having two apps open at same time...that said did I use that when I had it? not really.

spac3duck

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2017

You have focused on the wrong part of my [More != Better] scenario. (Hint: it wasn't about speed) o_O

i.e. I want to be able to switch between 5 apps before apps are reloaded. I don't want all apps reloading after switching between 2 apps.

To elaborate on your example [More seats in a car != Better]:
- A solo driver needs only their seat .:. a motorcycle might be a better option
- A couple require 2 seats .:. they could use a coupe
- A family require multiple seats .:. a people mover like the Honda Odyssey

Note: As tonybarnaby pointed out, 4GB would be nice for future proofing e.g. the couple above decide to have kids later on so they get a people mover instead of a coupe

However, if one assumes the [More seats in a car == Better], then everyone will be driving around in limousines!

As pointed out ad nauseum on this thread, the best phone for you will be dependent on what you use your phone for. Apple clearly believe that for the current generation of applications running on their devices, 3GB will suffice for the time being. If that doesn't suit you, change to one of your "budget" android alternatives. (Or in the case of the OP, he should stop driving a family of four on a motorcycle and either buy a family car or invest in a bus for graphic design (PC/Mac/Linux) :D

Reactions: akash.nu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.