iPhones Expected to Have OLED Displays Starting in 2018

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 25, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple plans to switch to OLED displays for iPhones starting in 2018, according to Japanese website Nikkei. The report claims Apple has notified its suppliers about its future plans, with LG Display already planning capacity upgrades for high-volume OLED display production.

[​IMG]

LG Display and Samsung Electronics will likely share a large portion of the OLED panel production for future iPhones, according to the report. Apple's shift to OLED displays could have "major implications" for Apple's current LCD display suppliers Sharp and Japan Display, the latter of which relies on Apple for 30% of its business.
    Due to the high volume of iPhones that Apple ships, and the technical challenges of producing OLED displays, the report claims the company will likely continue to sell iPhones with LCD screens alongside models with new OLED displays.

Samsung's popular Galaxy-branded smartphones are equipped with AMOLED displays, as is the Apple Watch, but iPhones have always had LCD displays since the original model launched over eight years ago.

OLED displays can provide sharper images and brighter colors compared to LCD displays, but generally have a shorter lifespan and higher manufacturing costs. Apple has reportedly been "consulting with display makers" about OLED technology to eliminate potential drawbacks.
    KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo recently noted that Apple is unlikely to adopt AMOLED displays for iPhones for at least three years, claiming that its main supplier Foxconn is preparing to invest in advanced TFT-LCD production lines in China for mass production in 2018.

Article Link: iPhones Expected to Have OLED Displays Starting in 2018

2. Menopause macrumors 6502a

Menopause

3. nikicampos, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015

nikicampos macrumors 6502a

Can't wait for 2018.. :confused:

This rumor can't be real, why wait 2 years to use and old technology, pretty sure that Apple will use a newer tech in two years.

4. rmbpuser macrumors 6502

5. modit macrumors 6502

Remember back in the day when the iPhone was cutting edge?

This doesn't help.

6. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Oh great... In 2018 we'll have a new "displaygate" involving LG and Samsung with people going crazy because they ended up with the wrong brand of display.

7. whiteboytrash macrumors 6502

I have to wait to 2018 to find out if this rumor is true!!!!????

8. entropi macrumors 6502

I don't want OLED. My 6S plus screen is good enough and I prefer the longer lifespan.

9. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Yeah sure... Just like the TV set was always set 2+ years in the future and kept getting pushed. I'll believe it when I see it. I love OLED displays, but I don't believe it.

10. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I'm waiting for the day when they drop the numbers and just call it iPhone.

11. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

*waits for the people that think every LCD is the same and every OLED technology is the same to say that this should have been done years ago*

Ah, I see I'm late.

12. Alenore macrumors 6502

13. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

Just go about your life. It really doesn't matter.

14. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

They said they are looking to fix those problems which is why it wouldn't be till 2018. Regardless, if the screen lasts 10 years instead of 20 it's pretty irrelevant in a phone. Do keep in mind I have no idea what the life times of each technology is. I'm simply saying if it last the life of the device it really doesn't matter.

15. Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502a

Oblivious.Robot

Thanks, iPhone 8 fits right in my upgrade cycle.
    So hyped for this!

16. macnewbie91 macrumors 6502

macnewbie91

More vibrant colors, less eye-strain in the dark, and slightly more energy efficient due to the individual pixels shutting off when they're supposed to be the color black.

AMOLED is the way to go. LCD is just not as good.

17. modit macrumors 6502

Why not toss in Liquid Metal 2018 to this rumour pile?

18. Dydegu macrumors 6502a

Dydegu

The absence of 16GB remarks so far in this thread has me worried...

19. koulmj Suspended

koulmj

20. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

2+ years away? That's like 14 tech years....

21. modit macrumors 6502

I have it on good authority that the 16GB capacity is banned in the year 2017.

22. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

So roughly the iPhone 8? Wow so the 7 and 7S keep the same display tech? Interesting, not bad or good, just interesting.

23. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I don't think you can call a curved display the same display.

24. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Samsung's AMOLED screens are a PWM nightmare. Their flicker pattern includes drops to zero brightness at most settings, and at many brightness levels it isn't even fast enough to mask the flicker..
    LG's TV panels are PWM-free like Apple's current LED backlights (Apple is one of the few companies that insists on no-flicker LEDs BTW). It's hard to say what will happen at the mobile scale though; The PWM of Samsung's AMOLED is used to reduce power consumption.