iPhones Keep Getting THICKER and THICKER! iPhone X vs iPhone 6 Plus & Others

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by booksbooks, Sep 16, 2017.

1. booksbooks macrumors 6502a

With Steve Jobs, we had lots of thinner and thinner iterations of products. As can be seen below, iPhones keep getting thicker, and not just by a little bit. The Apple Watch has gotten thicker as well.

From the below, we can see that the iPhone 6 Plus was just 7.1 mm thick. This has ballooned to 7.5 mm for the iPhone 8 Plus and 7.7 mm thick for the iPhone X. The jump in thickness from the iPhone 6 Plus to the iPhone X is quite substantial.

iPhone X:
    Depth: 7.7 mm

Width: 70.9 mm
    Weight: 174 grams

iPhone 8 Plus:
    Depth: 7.5 mm

Width: 78.1 mm
    Weight: 202 grams

iPhone 7 Plus:
    Depth: 7.3 mm

Width: 77.9 mm
    Weight: 188 grams

iPhone 6S Plus:
    Depth: 7.3 mm

Width: 77.9 mm
    Weight: 192 grams

iPhone 6 Plus:
    Depth: 7.1 mm

Width: 77.8 mm
    Weight: 172 grams

2. NewtonPippin macrumors regular

3. booksbooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

Don't ever run a company or go into product development.

As we can also see, the iPhone 8 Plus is an absolute beast at 202 grams, a full 30 grams/17.4% heavier than the iPhone 6 Plus. It may be the heaviest phone they've ever made.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

So what if the phone is thicker than previous models. As long as I am pleased with it and it does I want, that is all the matters.

Steve Jobs is dead. Stop trying to create some logical fallacy of what Jobs would do or say if he were alive today.

5. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

The size of the phones increase, is the consumers fault.
    Why?
    We want longer battery life
    We want better camera
    We want better specs, etc. etc. - LOL

6. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68040

NovemberWhiskey

You really don't have any idea of what a logical fallacy is do you? lol.

As for the OP: thanks for the comparisons. I'm not surprised that we are seeing a slight increase in thickness. We are adding a lot of new technology in there, as well as changing the composition to glass. The wireless charging components probably take up some more room,

7. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

They have to keep finding something to iterate each release. Look it's __ % thinner! Until that plays out as far as it can go, then they find a new metric to graph and put on a slide at the next keynote.

Obviously they now feel liberated to roll back the thinness.

8. booksbooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

Or, that they simply don't have the chops Post-Jobs to actually pull off better iterations that are thinner...

9. dominiongamma macrumors 68000

People complain it was too thin, now we have people complaining its bigger?

10. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Was Jobs a structural engineer? The iPhone 8/Plus and X have a ton of gear crammed into them, plus glass backs to facilitate wireless charging, with bigger screens than Jobs ever had to contend with.

I'm fine with Apple going thicker if it means better battery life. The obsession with thinness is what got us the camera bump, which everyone complained about, and IMO terrible battery life on the 7. Something's gotta give.

If you want thin, lightweight, and a Steve Jobs era design, get an SE.

11. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I know what a logical fallacy is.

In my opinion, the OP, by bringing up Jobs and what he allowed in the past, he is using logical fallacy to try and make the case that Apple is wrong for moving in this direction, and if Steve were alive, he wouldn't allow thicker phones.

His OP is a logical fallacy because it would require us to believe, that if Steve Jobs were alive today and still in control, that he would always act in the same manor, reasoning and action with products in the current, as he did in the past. That supposition is illogical because it is based solely on assumptions and the mindset that one cannot change his or her mind in the present, due to actions in the past.

If you want to keep trolling me, have at it. If you want to check my post with various definitions of logical fallacy, have at it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies#Formal_fallacies

If you want to get under my skin, you will need to come up with better posts. If you can't, don't waste my time with your drivel.

12. booksbooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

Or, Apple simply can't pull it off. There is no need to make excuses for Apple that they can't do something.

Thin and light is important. The iPhone X has ballooned in thickness from 7.1 mm to 7.7 mm. It's also noticeable in reviews. You also presuppose that 7.1 mm is somehow some threshold that is too thin and that it's effectively impossible to make a phone thinner. That's simply not true.

13. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Actually, what I'm saying is I don't care what thinness they can actually get it to, because I'd be willing to have a thicker phone for more battery. I'd take a phone that's even thicker and heavier than the 8 Plus if it meant I could go two days or more without a charge.

Thin and light is important to you. Better battery and more features/tech are more important to me.

14. booksbooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

No. What I'm saying is, if Jobs were alive, I believe that Apple would be able to iterate the iPhone with all of these new features while not making the phone thicker. And perhaps it could be made even slightly thinner. I surmise this based on past data: that Jobs was a master tech leader and high performer and Apple in fact did these things under his control.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 16, 2017 ---
    Great. That's your opinion.

15. ForumChick macrumors regular

ForumChick

The x actually has less battery life than the 8

16. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

A few years ago people here were complaining that Apple kept on making them thinner and thinner...lol

17. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Jobs was too obsessed with thinness - iPhones became anorexic - glad to see they're finally getting back to fit but not stupid thin.

18. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Yeah, that's my opinion, just like your sky is falling post about how tragic it is that iPhones are getting thicker and Steve Jobs would never let that happen is your opinion.

Fact: iPhones are getting heavier and thicker.

Not a fact: Steve Jobs would never allow this.

Fact: You don't work on Apple's design or engineering teams and do not know what their decision making process is.

You claim I was making an assumption that phones cannot be thinner than 7.1mm. However, YOU are making the assumption that even with all the new tech and materials, the phone definitely could be lighter and thinner, even though you have no evidence to support your claim.

19. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Technical specs on Apple's website are not based on actual daily use conditions, as you and I would experience. They are laboratory based estimates. And often times, such specs are not the same as real world usage.

Some people may or may not experience less battery performance with the iPhone X as others with the same phone, or with a iPhone 8, 8+ (for a variety of reasons).

In my opinion, to categorically state that an iPhone that hasn't even been released gets less battery life than another iPhone is wrong.

20. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

Apple could make a Motorola brick type phone, and we'd still buy it. Just saying :)

2017-09-16_2122.png

21. Tmelon macrumors 65816

Personally, I wouldn't mind an iPhone that was as thick as the original from 10 years ago if the thickness added battery life. Complaining about half a millimeter in extra thickness seems like nonsense to me.

22. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Some may just because it was made by Apple, while others may, if it provided several days of battery life.

23. NovemberWhiskey, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017

NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68040

NovemberWhiskey

Not trying to get under your skin. But your default response to anyone that you disagree with (even when there is nothing to disagree over), is that they have committed a logical fallacy. You say it in every other post you make. You've accused me of logical fallacies when there are none.

In the past 24 hours, how many people have you accused of committing a logical fallacy simply because they are saying something you disagree with? This is the third by my count, and my coming across your posts is purely by happenstance.

See, you love Apple products, and you can't take any criticism of them (even though this isn't really criticism). So when someone says anything remotely negative, you first start with "I don't care, as long as I like it...", and then you accuse the person of committing a logical fallacy.

3 times in the past 24 hours is why I am calling you out. And in all three cases, none of your accusations have really made sense.

You're accusing OP of a logical fallacy he did not commit. You did it on your own.

OP made probably the most non-accusational, non-confrontational post. Just simply comparing thicknesses of the iPhones over the years. It takes a lot of insecurity to get worked up over that.

24. booksbooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

I never said Steve Jobs would never allow it. You are now committing a logical fallacy (strawman) by inserting your own made up stuff and claiming them as statements of others to insert as premises into your fallacious arguments. You then derive conclusions from these made up statements you claim others have made to suit your argument.

And I do not know if the phone could "definitely" be lighter and thinner. I never said "definitely".

And speaking of lighter and thinner phones that are comparable, there are some examples. So it's not like nobody has made a premium smartphone with a comparable feature-set to the iPhone that weren't thinner and lighter.

25. santela macrumors regular

I don't mind this at all. In fact I want it to be even thicker than 7.6 so they can even out that fugly camera bump and give us a larger battery.