iPhones Secretly Send Call History To Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by X--X, Nov 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X--X macrumors 6502

2. border terrier macrumors regular

Clearly it is true and therefore it needs to be changed.

3. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Shoot. Apple knows how much pizza I order. Do they also have my conversations on their servers?

4. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

It's not really "secret"... the article is misleading and makes it appear as though apple is selling or harvesting the information, while the "real" concern is access for law enforcement agencies.

Also, the article talks about security being such a big thing, yet one of the "frustrated' customers said:

Maybe if your security is so important, you shouldn't be sharing your apple ID with your wife. Giving your password to anyone is risky because you do not know what kind of security measures they take.

Finally, the article mentions that turning on two factor authentication will prevent a hacker from gaining this information.

To be honest, i'd be more concerned about other personal information a hacker may retrieve than my calls log, which by the way, a subpoena to your wireless provider will provide similar info

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

More troubling than AT&T having it?

That's by necessity, obviously, but the point is that this is not information you can keep secret from the world. It's out there and it's a very low bar to cross for the police to ask your carrier for it. At that point why should I care that Apple also has it? What's the additional damage it's gonna do over at Apple that it can't do on my carrier's server?

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

7. unclemax macrumors regular

They really quote the wife guy? Ha ha, I agree that sharing an Apple ID is stupid on the face of it. Maybe they used it to effortlessly share music/TV shows but after family sharing there's no excuse.

The point is that you can't deselect the option to share Messages/Calls history via iCloud in Settings. Really, what's the point of end to end encryption if cops can get access to my iCloud data and read it all from there?

Edit: cops or hackers, for that matter.

8. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Why is this an issue? My telco has that same data also and is far more likely to give it up based on past precedence.

I also iMessage so Apple has my darkest secrets. :eek:

9. macfacts macrumors 68020

macfacts

Re read the story. Call logs get synced even with icloud off and the logs are kept longer (4 months) than cell phone service providers keep them (30 days).

10. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

11. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

From the article, I'd really like to know which providers they are referring to that only keep the call logs for 30-60 days? I was able to login to the Verizon website and pull a bill from May 2015 which contained call logs for all of my lines. I could probably also call Verizon to get access to previous bills, that's just the amount they allow me to pull myself from their website... I would imagine that other US providers do that as well.

It is however interesting that with iCloud off that Apple would still sync this data.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I am a firm believer that the NSA has "piggy backed" every carrier and keep this information for as long as it wants. They stopped asking us for our permission years ago. If you are up to something really bad get a disposable phone and leave yours at home.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

They can get the information from the carrier and have been for ages. And iCloud has been doing this for a long time and people knew it too given that their call logs would appear on their devices when they would just login to iCloud. Again, nothing new or surprising there.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 17, 2016 ---
    Yeah, sure, 30 days...

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Actually, they don't. That's the point of iMessage. Not even Apple can unlock them, even though they exist on their servers.

15. RedOrchestra Suspended

They may not be able to read the message but they keep the PING logs for 30-days rolling - so they know the when, where, and who of the iMessage.

16. GalaDaliGirl macrumors regular

Read the Facebook Messenger user agreement for a horrific privacy scare.

17. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

It's kind of sad. Instead of asking "should they be doing this" or "why wasn't I informed of this" or "how can we opt out of this" the excuse makers start posting... excuses.
    Personally I wonder what else is being uploaded without our knowledge.
    Why is it so hard for Apple to just tell us.

18. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I think based on the posts so far that call log history is trivial to most users. Most people I know have iCloud full back-ups enabled where this information would be backed up anyway. Now if you're privacy conscious then this could be a concern. However, if you're using the built-in dialer your calls are being logged anyway (for much longer by your provider than what Apple logs them for). Does this mean Apple should have access to that information? No, probably not but as I said, I think this is trivial to most people.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

It doesn't seem Apple has access to the information, it's part of individual's iCloud account/data. Basically like most accounts out there, it usually is possible to get to the data via a warrant or something like that, but it's not something that Apple simply has access to it seems.

20. foxconn Suspended

I hope people know that our call logs and text messages are saved by our carriers..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.