Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

205203-main2.png

iPhoneVideoRecorder is a trialware application presently available for Jailbroken iPhones that adds Video recording capability to your iPhone.
iPhone Video Recorder records audio and video to the compressed mpeg4 format, so the recording is space saving, an-hour-high-quality recording will be a file as small as 60MB. iPhone Video Recorder boasts a frame rate up to 15fps which guarantees better recording performance . With iPhone Video Recorder, recording is easy and enjoyable, you may play back the video, download it to a computer, upload to Youtube, or send it out by email as you wish.
With features such as mpeg4 encoding and Youtube uploading, it offers many desirable features. According to their FAQ, they intend on updating the application when the 3G iPhone comes out and also plan on including it in the official iTunes App Store when it launches in June. Those who paid the $19.95 registration fee will get future upgrades for free (including the App store version).

The unregistered version allows only 30 seconds of recording. A Youtube video demonstrates the application.

Article Link

albinoAZN

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
In a video from the same person, they give you a repo to download a cracked version for unlimited video recording :p

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyuaybNLN6w

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
So what happens if Apple ends up releasing a video recorder for the iPhone themselves?

I can't imagine they'll be able to sell many copies if Apple offers the same thing for free already installed.

YouTube upload capabilities seem pretty likely seeing as Apple's already put that into Keynote and iMovie so that won't be the selling feature.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
guarantees better recording performance
I can't stand those phrases. Better than what? Attempting to record using a tortoise? :rolleyes:

Wake me up when it hits 25fps.

So. People are going to upload 10-60mb videos to you tube via EDGE and 3G?

Um, huh.

Also what about higher resolution video given the camera is megapixels? I wonder if the new iPhone will also have higher speed memory fill?

Rocketman

Well seeing as (IIRC) youtube has a 10min maximum for one video, 60mb is out of the question. ;)

Higher resolution is prolly not implemented because, I'd guess, that 15fps ain't gonna happen any higher.

More processing power FTW.

TheOrioles33

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2008
I'm sure there will be a dozen video recording apps available when the App Store opens. And the next one will be less expensive than the last. I dont mind paying for a good/useful app but $20 for something that should be standard is kind of high. I would pay $5 or $10.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Wake me up when it hits 25fps.

Higher resolution is prolly not implemented because, I'd guess, that 15fps ain't gonna happen any higher.

No I have not read the forum rules and I refuse to. I know I am being monitored and despite it pissing me off, I return the favor. :)

As to fps, POINT!

One thing I do know is the iPhone 2.0 has a bandwidth limit to the save function. My hope is Apple implements the absolute maximal variant of it given the new throughput.

I want video and I want it high resolution. I will deal with the bandwidth AFTER I have an original file. Heck, I will download an app to upload a crippled resolution version of the original file to You Tube and STILL have the original.

Rocketman

Sirobin

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
California
I really hope Apple adds video recording themself. Seriously, the fact that the iPhone doesn't have this is absolutely ridiculous.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Apple will add this feature in 2.0 and this app will be worthless. It is not uncommon for Apple to obsolete a third party app :p

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
I assume the encoding is a bare minimum Mpeg 4 simple profile. Seems like that would be a total waste of battery power if it is running in software on the ARM. I hope apple adds official video recording to the 3G iphone and uses an ARM with dedicated H.264 encoder. This, coupled with a good camera with autofocus should allow good, 30fps video without killing your battery life. I'd be interested to see how long this app could record video until the phone power died.

joseph2166

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
I really hope Apple adds video recording themself. Seriously, the fact that the iPhone doesn't have this is absolutely ridiculous.

I guess they were too busy adding useful things like 3rd party apps... Silly Apple and their ways huh

TheOrioles33

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2008
On the developers website you can get the video and sound recorder package for $24.95 which isnt too bad. Still gonna wait for the App Store to see what other options there will be. Cant wait!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Apple will add this feature in 2.0 and this app will be worthless. It is not uncommon for Apple to obsolete a third party app :p

Then why doesn't boot camp offer something to boot two OSes simultaneously?

And what's up with their total lack of any good painting/drawing? They had AppleWorks which had a decent (when it was first made,) painting application. Now they have nothing. I have to resort to crappy third party apps.

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
IIRC, drunknbass has said his app (ushow) can go faster (25 or 30?). Of course, until it gets released, that's just a claim as the app is still vaporware. If it turns out to be true, it will be pretty nice.

For many things though, 15fps is "good enough", and iphonevideorecorder is at least available now. I'm not going to buy it though, I'm happy to wait a bit and see what happens come June.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL

And what's up with their total lack of any good painting/drawing? They had AppleWorks which had a decent (when it was first made,) painting application. Now they have nothing. I have to resort to crappy third party apps.

There may be a few photoshop users who disagree with you on that "crappy third party" statement. I have no problem with Apple focusing on OS/Platform and everyone else focusing on what they want to focus on.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
IIRC, drunknbass has said his app (ushow) can go faster (25 or 30?). Of course, until it gets released, that's just a claim as the app is still vaporware. If it turns out to be true, it will be pretty nice.

For many things though, 15fps is "good enough", and iphonevideorecorder is at least available now. I'm not going to buy it though, I'm happy to wait a bit and see what happens come June.

Of course. I'm sure you can achieve 25-30fps if you cut the resolution enough. Even the iPhone could happily manage 40fps if the capture resolution was only 10x10.

But that wouldn't be worth it would it? :rolleyes:

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006

Why don't you ask Apple? Your statement doesn't change the fact that I pointed out though, that Apple has obsoleted many third party apps with their own before!

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

For me there is no real use for this on my iPhone. More power to those who would like something like this.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
Plenty of more established developers will have an interest in developing a video-record for current and future iPhones. I can't imagine Apple is going to have much interest in certifying products for sale on the iTunes App Store presently coming from a sketchy developer of apps for jail-broken iPhones. Meaning you're better off waiting for any version but this one, even if it's a third-party and not Apple. If Apple will never certify this video recorder, you'll always have to keep your iPhone jail-broken to use it, meaning you'll likely have problems buying/downloading legit iTunes apps and installing them via iTunes.

Again, the same applies with this as any software for jail-broken iPhones: for a tech-freak or hobbyist, it's fine. For people who require their iPhones to work, and have accessible both warranty and paid-for Apple repair, without problems or hang-ups due to unsupported firmware and app modifications, steer clear.

So what happens if Apple ends up releasing a video recorder for the iPhone themselves?

I can't imagine they'll be able to sell many copies if Apple offers the same thing for free already installed.

YouTube upload capabilities seem pretty likely seeing as Apple's already put that into Keynote and iMovie so that won't be the selling feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.