Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Phone is over a year old now and battery at 97% viability. I generally keep my phone in smart invert for better battery life (yes I realize it's not a giant difference maker but I find the screen easier to read this way).

I generally always have my phone set to:
settings -> general -> accessibility -> display accomodations -> invert colors -> smart

What I've noticed recently is that over time the upper third of the unlock screen looks like it's got a gradation from gray to black at the top when the background should be uniformly black.

I'll try and get a shot of this with my DSLR. I still have Applecare until 4/19 but I'm uncertain if this is something they would cover.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
I had my wife put her XR into the same mode and it appears to be a subtle gradient at the top of the screen that displays the time when you wake the phone if the phone is in smart invert mode with a black background. So this may be solved.

If you have an X and you have the phone in smart invert with a black background look at the top third of the phone when the screen wakes and see for yourself.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.