Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
SilentPanda said:
The price for prints throught iPhoto in the U.S. is coincidentally $0.49 USD. You can get them cheaper through something like walmart.com however ($0.29 if my brain remembers correctly). Yes they are sort of expensive.
They are actually $.39, but wouldn't that be about the same price as in Europe, once you account for the v.a.t.? I've never ordered prints, but it seems like a reasonable option if you didn't have a good printer.
The books... I spent a few hours putting a book together and it was about 20 pages or so. I was the price was around $60! I'll make my own photo albums for the time being thanks you. They are extrememly nice (I've seen them in the Apple Stores) but unless it's a really special event (wedding or something of that nature) I think I'll stick to glue and paper.
The books I have made have been shorter than that--usually around 10 pages, for $29. That doesn't seem too bad to me, given the quality of the book and the binding. You'd pay almost that much for a decent photo album plus printing costs, but this is much nicer.

ktrout

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2004
New York
iPhoto books are pretty nice

AirUncleP said:
I know of no one that has had a book printed from iPhoto. Anyone?

I have, and they are very nice, though the formatting options are limited. The price seems quite reasonable for the quality of the product.

Wazowski

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2004
Wendy_Rebecca said:
I won't do it until they print on acid-free paper, as most other photo services of this type do.

It's silly, really. Why is Apple the lone holdout? If I'm going to pony up the bucks for this, I'm going with a book that will last longer than a few years before it turns brown.
Apple's photo books are printed on acid-free paper as stated on the iPhoto Book web page:
Professionally printed on acid-free glossy paper and bound in an elegant linen cover, iPhoto books become treasured keepsakes that others will enjoy for years to come. We hope you enjoy yours.
I've purchased about three photo books so far as presents for my wife and mother-in-law. The books are great!

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
I've done 2 books and am working on two more. I think they are fantastic and hope Apple continues to expand the program.

I don't consider the books an alternative to printing photos - they are more of a project to me and can be a lot of work (with scanned OLD pics) and a lot of fun.

In terms of options, there are several styles and you can select 1 through 4 pics per page with the style establishing how they are arranged. Much faster to order on a DSL/cable line as the larger file you have for a pic the better it will look.

ktrout

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2004
New York
Wendy_Rebecca said:
I won't do it until they print on acid-free paper, as most other photo services of this type do.

It's silly, really. Why is Apple the lone holdout? If I'm going to pony up the bucks for this, I'm going with a book that will last longer than a few years before it turns brown.

What other services do you recommend? I would like to find an online service that offers more layout flexibility for a special job.

Also, as someone else pointed out, Apple does claim to use acid-free paper.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Stike said:
Sorry Apple, thats FAR too expensive for regular prints.
At the smallest size, the prints are 0.33 Euro apiece. *plus* 16 % VAT *plus* shipping (starting at 2.99).
Has anyone checked out the UKP prices...I'm currently paying £0.19 per 6x4 inc VAT through photobox.co.uk and the quality is excellent. My direct conversion of that Euro price above is £0.26 inc VAT.

Looks like I'll have to change my sig anyway...still iTMS and a useful Sherlock to go...and lower European pricing on macs of course.

sososowhat

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
Paper, etc.

The books I've seen at the Apple store look wonderful. Does anyone have recommendations for alternatives (competitors) that either look better or use better paper or give you more control or are cheaper?

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
Wow! I ordered some just now. Let's see how they come out. I doubt I will be using it a lot, though -- it's just too expensive for casual use.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
iDuc said:
I just ordered my first iPhoto's directly from iPhoto.. works like a charm... Only thing that bothers me that the pricing is almost double compared to the other online services in The Netherlands...

Is this the same for different countries??

Indeed, now we need iTunes Music Store... come on Apple... :D

how much?

Mr. EMan

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2003
Available in Germany

It's pretty expensive to get a book in Europe (26 pages, €64+S&H), but cheaper than ordering it in the States, and getting your family to ship it here.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Finally (ENG), Schließlich (DE), Finalmente (IT), Finalmente (Port) Finalmente (Esp), Finalement (FR), Ten slotte (NL).

In some of Europe's Languages. Don't actually know if its in these countries! But it's working for me in UK!

Thank you Kodak + Apple. iPhoto is my most valued iApp by far.

chubad

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2004
Frozen Wasteland
SilentPanda said:
The price for prints throught iPhoto in the U.S. is coincidentally $0.49 USD. You can get them cheaper through something like walmart.com however ($0.29 if my brain remembers correctly). Yes they are sort of expensive.

The books... I spent a few hours putting a book together and it was about 20 pages or so. I was the price was around $60! I'll make my own photo albums for the time being thanks you. They are extrememly nice (I've seen them in the Apple Stores) but unless it's a really special event (wedding or something of that nature) I think I'll stick to glue and paper.

But I guess that's why there are alternatives. Apple can price things however they want (or Kodak if that's the case) and we can choose not to purchase it (sometimes... :))

The price for 4x6" prints is $0.39 each. Not $0.49 each.
Try going to a printer and asking them to print and bind you one book and see what price they give you. They are not something that you routinely purchase, but for $80.00 for 24 pages you can have a bound book that is very nice. The reaction when people recieve or see one of the books is usually astonishment followed by how did you do that? On a Mac of course!

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
this is great!

prints are priced correctly, as they follow the street price quite well; however, the books are way too expensive - for a 34 page book thy ask 100+ euros (including shipping) and i couldn't think of anything else than wedding album i would buy for that price. for half the price i'd order a book for every vacation trip album as well.

100 euros, sheesh... something to whine about ;)

chubad

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2004
Frozen Wasteland
Wendy_Rebecca said:

Apple does use acid free paper. So pony up the bucks. ;)

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
JFreak said:
this is great!

prints are priced correctly, as they follow the street price quite well; however, the books are way too expensive - for a 34 page book thy ask 100+ euros (including shipping) and i couldn't think of anything else than wedding album i would buy for that price. for half the price i'd order a book for every vacation trip album as well.

100 euros, sheesh... something to whine about ;)
Thirty four pages? That's incredibly long for a photo album. What are you taking pictures of? Remember you can put up to four pictures on a page, and the pages are very large and print all the way to the edge. I took a month long vacation to the Western U.S. and only came up with about 80 photos worth sharing (out of 200 shots)--that would be only 20 pages. If I was going to make an album, I'd probably trim it down to 10 pages--just $29.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Why no publicity? There's nothing on the Apple UK site about it (front page) and no message when you load iPhoto when connected to the internet.

The book option looks like it's what I'm looking for for a nice christmas present for my grandparents. Now I've got 9 months to get a decent collection of photos together..

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
SpaceMagic said:
Schließlich (DE)

Just a nit to pick -- it would be "endlich" in German. "schließlich" is more like "eventually". Anyway, the photos can be sent to Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Austria, Sweden, Switzerland, Spain and the UK -- according to iPhoto.

Craiger77

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Seattle, USA
Printing from other countries.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to access another countries iPhoto store. Since there are better alternatives to making prints in the US the only time I have ordered prints via iPhoto was when I was in Japan and had prints made and sent to my mother in Idaho. That was pretty cool. Now I am in the US and would like to have prints made and sent to my wife's mother in Japan, but I don't see any obvious way to switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.