Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewman

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2003
Wendy_Rebecca said:
I won't do it until they print on acid-free paper, as most other photo services of this type do.

It's silly, really. Why is Apple the lone holdout? If I'm going to pony up the bucks for this, I'm going with a book that will last longer than a few years before it turns brown.

Where did you get this 'silly' idea? Here is a quote directly from http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/books.html (bold added by me):

Professionally printed on acid-free glossy paper and bound in an elegant linen cover, iPhoto books become treasured keepsakes that others will enjoy for years to come. We hope you enjoy yours.

Andrew
occasional lurker

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
I don't know if they sell outside USA, but http://www.imagestation.com/( Sony company ) has prints for $0.19 now.
I'm looking for different book options too.
I have made a couple of books in iPhoto and they are killer, though I think the printing could have been a bit better, but I think all services have similar level of quality right now.

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
AirUncleP said:
I know of no one that has had a book printed from iPhoto. Anyone?

I have - it seems stupid and like you could do it yourself for less - but then when you get it you realize how nice it really is and how well made it is - they make great gifts and great custom cofee table books.

ryanw

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
Stike said:
Sorry Apple, thats FAR too expensive for regular prints.
At the smallest size, the prints are 0.33 Euro apiece. *plus* 16 % VAT *plus* shipping (starting at 2.99).

I did a small conversion for our US friends. Including tax, this is $ 0.49 per print. At the SMALLEST size.

The books are only good if you want something for a REALLY special event - else it would be too expensive too. When would you pay 78 Euros ( $ 100 !!) for a photobook with 24 pages?

All I can say: :eek:

I will choose other services, thank you.

Here in the US books of this quality from a normal photography studio cost in the upper $400 to $500 ..

eric67

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2002
France, Europe
too expensive

Stella said:
what is the price?

Does the UK get the usual special 'British' premuim price?! :)

my God, Apple should just look a bit the price of this nice Book for iPhoto in Europe.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
24.99€
whitout the tax neither the shipping cost!!!!!!!!
tax = 15-20%
shipping cost (for France) = 7.5 €!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and you end up with a book of 10 pages costing around 39€!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
with 1€=1.23$US , it is a bit too much expensive co,pare to the US.....
overhere we have the filling that Apple is using sales in Europe and the rate between € and $ to increase its margin, unfortunately for us in Europe Mac are more expensive then when compare to US

dekator

macrumors regular
May 18, 2002
Krautistan
Good point

Wendy_Rebecca said:
I won't do it until they print on acid-free paper, as most other photo services of this type do.

It's silly, really. Why is Apple the lone holdout? If I'm going to pony up the bucks for this, I'm going with a book that will last longer than a few years before it turns brown.

Good point. Well, I don't get it to work anyway... Germany here.

Oooops, just read this:
Where did you get this 'silly' idea? Here is a quote directly from http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/books.html (bold added by me):

Quote:

Professionally printed on acid-free glossy paper and bound in an elegant linen cover, iPhoto books become treasured keepsakes that others will enjoy for years to come. We hope you enjoy yours.

Well, even better point...

dekator

macrumors regular
May 18, 2002
Krautistan
SpaceMagic said:
Finally (ENG), Schließlich (DE), Finalmente (IT), Finalmente (Port) Finalmente (Esp), Finalement (FR), Ten slotte (NL).

In some of Europe's Languages. Don't actually know if its in these countries! But it's working for me in UK!

Thank you Kodak + Apple. iPhoto is my most valued iApp by far.

It should be 'Endlich' (DE) ... o'r diwedd (Welsh) :)
But it's not here for me. Don't get it to work (iPhoto 4). Well, I think I'll just re-install it.

[schließlich = 'lastly', in case you're learning German, ;)]
Gosh, we teachers are terrible... lol

J-Squire

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2003
Australia
Australia

Yeah, I second the notion for iPhoto in Australia. And I seriously think we should get iTMS now. I mean, I realise all the problems they're having in Europe, but I highly doubt that same thing would be happening here.

Anyway, my main reason for this post it to ask - how long does it take to receive your book once you've ordered it? I'll be in NY for a week later this year at the end of a holiday around Europe, and I wouldn't mind getting a book of some of the photos of the trip.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
leenoble said:
Are you people all using '04?

I just fired up iPhoto and all I get is USD prices.
And if I try to change my account settings in iPhoto I only get USA and Canada as options.

No, I'm using iLife '06 now. Umm...please don't mention that to anyone yet. The guys in the lab would be irked at me if they found out I was using the time machine to obtain future products.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
dekator said:
It should be 'Endlich' (DE) ... o'r diwedd (Welsh) :)

[schließlich = 'lastly', in case you're learning German, ;)]

Cool, I learned something today. I'll have to try and keep that in mind. Now, if I can ever understand the proper usage of studieren versus lernen.

For the person who mentioned that there should be an iTunes Canada, I agree. That seems like the next logical place where iTunes should seek support. Since the US and Canada are fairly close, it seems like something of a mystery why Canada isn't supported, unless there is some province which is having problems. Or maybe they need to get record company authorization from the Nunavut territory, but they couldn't find anybody. Perhaps Australia would also be another place to target for the iTMS.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Shame it's only Europe, not worldwide. I just tried it and it gave me a list of countries in which it's supported - USA, Canada, Japan, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Holland, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the UK.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
edenwaith said:
No, I'm using iLife '06 now. Umm...please don't mention that to anyone yet. The guys in the lab would be irked at me if they found out I was using the time machine to obtain future products.

Have you got Virtual PC 8 yet? Does it support hardware 3D?

Jonnod III

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2004
Well guys (UK that is) looks a bit steep to me.

Bonusprint do prints for 15p and 90p postage. (27c and $1.65 according to Calculator conversion....)

And better still, they've updated their upload software and it now runs native on X

a6rnh

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2003
yorkshire sausage
after 2 years, thanks...

took far too long to arrive, just like itunes europe...i'm sure it will be a great service, just hope that it's not the typical uk hyper-prices!!!

now get on with ITUNES EUROPE!!!!!!!!!

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
Shame no 4:3 ratio prints ie. 6x4.5"

Most digital cameras take 4:3 ratio images, which would be 6x4.5" prints.

The Kodak service is only offers 6x4" prints which will mean images are cropped, and I see no settings in iPhoto to setup prints pre-cropped, so you could end up with some odd results.

I always use http:http://www.photobox.co.uk which allows 6x4" and 6x4.5" prints, so it's your choice.

I once got some digital prints done in Jessops (UK Camera high street store) and did not check to see if they did 6x4.5" prints (which they don't) and ended up with 120 prints, many with parts cropped which ruined the photos.

Oh well, I suppose this is Kodaks fault, not Apples, do Kodak cameras not use 4:3 ratio image sensors?

jsj

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2004
Baltimore, MD
mypublisher

I keep reading posts referring to this as apple's book printing, when the books are actually produced by mypublisher.com. Same service, but with fewer options than used with a PC, and no " made with a mac" obviously. I guess tight integration with iPhoto is the trade off. Same pricing structure, i think.
Also, I wonder who is printing for Europe?

Morgo

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2003
I've just ordered my first book. 12 pages and £30.39 all in. Regardless of whom actually produces the item, I am glad that this internal functionality is finally available to us Brits (and fellow Europeans!) and am tremendously looking forward to receiving my order!

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
wordmunger said:
Thirty four pages? That's incredibly long for a photo album. What are you taking pictures of? Remember you can put up to four pictures on a page, and the pages are very large and print all the way to the edge. I took a month long vacation to the Western U.S. and only came up with about 80 photos worth sharing (out of 200 shots)--that would be only 20 pages. If I was going to make an album, I'd probably trim it down to 10 pages--just $29.

well, you know the wives :) we took about 500 photos over a week-long trip and after a trimdown there still is well over 100 pics to be printed. there's an option to put six pics per page, but that's not always a usable option. in average it seems to be three per page, but varies a lot.

i did some math; however, to better understand the price. the thing is, if we took the old-style solution we'd end up paying a good 50 euros for a nice-looking empty photo book and about 40 euros for printing the photos. that's 90 euros and every photo would be the standard size. come to think of it, 120 euros for printed book (including shipping and taxes) is only about 30 euros more expensive and i could guess the printed book would be of amazing quality. i could justify 30 extra euros for that, and having the option to get variable picture sizes.

go apple!

ghulands

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2004
Gold Coast
iPhoto Printing in Australia

Hi,
We are a Kodak Express store in Australia and I have set up a register for expressions of interest in making an iPhoto plugin that will allow iPhoto to print to our store. We have decided that to make it worthwhile to invest in the development of the plugin, we will need 350 people to express interest in it. I plan to make it a bit better than the current printing plugin so that you can choose matte or gloss finish.

If you are interested in this service for Australia, please go to here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.