Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I think Apple will radically change the iPod line up next year and refocus in two directions: firstly as a small, light wearable device which acts as an add on to the iPhone. For example the iPod Watch for general use, the iPod Sport (sports band) for sports/gym use. Secondly as a dedicated music player with a light portable design but bigger memory (up to 128GB) and fewer extras such as camera to try and keep the price down.

The iPhone 5c will replace the iPod touch as the affordable all round media player with phone built in. Even most teenagers have smartphones these days instead of an MP3 player. That market has increasingly gravitated towards older users who grew up and still enjoy a wide variety of music. Those people are more willing to purchase a second dedicated music player device either to carry around with their smartphone or to use at home synched to their wifi music system.

I also think they may well make a smaller iPad to replace the touch for portable gamers. The iPad Nano would have 5" screen and be targeted squarely at the PSP Vita and Nintendo DS generation by using the increasing number of cheaper games in iTunes as bait to attract buyers away from £30 PSP games.

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
I wish they'd bring the Shuffle back to 4 GB. I love my 3rd generation Shuffle, the stainless steel edition, very much. I actually bought two of them, which is fortunate, since one of them got stolen/lost.

In the meantime, however, while I'm twiddling my thumbs and waiting for the new Mac Pro, I wish I could turn my Shuffle into a December 2013 Mac Pro! :) I can't wait! :)

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
what happened to the 12" iPad Pro rumor? (edit: oops, sorry didn't realize this thread was just for iPod / Airport)

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
it's been a while since we heard from Ming Chi Kuo and his b.u.l.l.s.h.i.t rumors :rolleyes:

he is probably too busy working in the factory to ensure that we have our devices on time for Xmas :p

LastQuadrant

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2013
It's most likely a cost issue since the chips/antennas for 802.11ac might be a little too pricey for those devices. On mobile devices you aren't transferring large amounts of data as much as you would for laptops and desktops. I think that's probably the line of reasoning behind it. But eventually everything will get upgraded. I'm sure these 802.11ac chips might actually draw more power, or take up too much room, in addition to the cost factor. Maybe next year.

I'm wondering when Apple's going to replace the internal 16 bit DACs to 24 bit and then start offering 24 bit AAC versions of content on iTunes, and then have 24 bit 5.1 audio on their movies they rent/sell.

tMac7

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2013
What about a new iPod Classic with 500 GB? (Or at least 250 GB?)
Or a thinner Design (with Lightning Connector and a litte faster processor) but still with the Clickwheel and a small display?

Won't happen, i know. But a man can dream…

Although nowadays most people use streaming services like Spotify i still enjoy the big capacity of my iPod Classic - having all my music with me with no need for streaming and draining my iphone battery.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Slow News Day for MacRumors:

1. Let's talk about some patents
2. Let's talk about Google
3. Let's talk about Samsung
4. Oh what the heck: let's talk about iPods and Airport devices....:confused::confused::confused:

It could be worse. We could be talking about fake Mac Pro images like yesterday.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
It could be worse. We could be talking about fake Mac Pro images like yesterday.

Do you also feel like MacRumors is posting more junk for the sake of posting something? I feel like this has gotten worse the past few months.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Slow News Day for MacRumors:

1. Let's talk about some patents
2. Let's talk about Google
3. Let's talk about Samsung
4. Oh what the heck: let's talk about iPods and Airport devices....:confused::confused::confused:

You don't expect to have amazing news about product leaks everyday, do you?

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
You don't expect to have amazing news about product leaks everyday, do you?

So you want them to just post something that's not really important instead? I understand that the owner(s) of this site has to live off something and that site clicks and ad revenue is unfortunately the reason for these questionable posts. It's sad but that's probably the reason they are posting more and more non-interesting stuff lately. It's all about the $$$

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
As with our previous roundups, the goal of our iPod and AirPort roundups is to simply answer the question of "What are you expecting" for Apple's future products at any given time.
I think that standalone media players are dead. Even some cheaper smartphones can replace the iPod. Apples mistake was, that they did not integrate GPS in the iPod. No replaceable battery, no memory expansion and hardware decoder support only for a handful of formats makes this device even more unattractive.

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA
I think that standalone media players are dead. Even some cheaper smartphones can replace the iPod. Apples mistake was, that they did not integrate GPS in the iPod. No replaceable battery, no memory expansion and hardware decoder support only for a handful of formats makes this device even more unattractive.

Give me a 128gb phone, and then we'll talk. And until Apple releases a phone with a larger screen, I'll keep my Android.

----------

Couldn't they come up with a better word than "roundup?" It makes it sound like we're on a dude ranch or something.

cozybop

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2012
I'd like them to update the iPod line, eliminate the Classic but add a 256Gb touch for those who need massive storage to take music and movies on the go.

What about the Apple TV?

With a full glass click wheel, like on trackpads on the Mac. With a glass retina display too. Can you imagine the battery life on such a device?

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2011
Now a days, almost everybody have a smart phone capable of music storage and playback. The iPod is quickly becoming an obsolete concept, just like the Walkman and Discman (cannibalized by MP3 players) back in their days. A similar thing happened to netbooks when the iPad was launched: they simply got "out-concepted".

They totally milked that cow for as long as it lasted, it's time for a brand new product range (iWatch?)

Last edited:

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
With a full glass click wheel, like on trackpads on the Mac. With a glass retina display too. Can you imagine the battery life on such a device?
I'm sure Apple is working on something, maybe the touch with a 'classic' app so you have the wheel and stuff from the classic but a huge storage under the glass touch screen.

I have an 80GB Classic but would likely buy a 64GB iPad Mini which I know doesn't have the storage but is much more useful everyday.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
anyone use the airport extreme? how is it going through walls in a dense urban environment with 3 dozen wifi routers in the area during peak hours?

looking to update my ancient router

If your devices support it use the 5Ghz band. If not perhaps have the AEBS do both a 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz network

Bosdavid

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2011
Rotterdam
What's actually the new in and (therefor) the use of this item?

Ah well.

Well, I would like an updated iPod Classic: 250GB - 500 GB of flash storage, just a bit thinner, with a clickweel and the lovely iPod interface and the whole machine being of audiophile quality. Like the iBasso et cetera.

(And indeed an updated Mac Mini, with a rebuilt-in optical drive.)
(And a new Cinema Display, retina/4k, etc.)
(Or a new iMac, which is actually built durable. Read: normally repairable, user upgradable -so less glued and soldered-, containing a optical drive (since I still buy cd's and dvd's which I want to be able to import and watch. And I don't want to put an external drive next to an all-in-one computer. I don't give a stroke about one or two centimetres thickness.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.