iPod app being split.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fugabutacus, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Fugabutacus macrumors regular

i read this on Wikipedia and there wasn't a reference so it could just be completely made up, but it concerned me, so I thought I'd ask around here.

According to the rumour, the iPod app on the iPhone is going to be split into separate apps in iOS 5, in the same style as the iPod Touch.\

This seems like a horrible idea. I like having all my music, shows, movies and podcasts in one lovely little app.

Thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea? And... Is it actually happening?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Its actually happening and it cannot easily be undone, even when jailbroken.

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I agree that it is a horrible idea. I believe Apple is doing this to have consistency across all iOS devices. I like just going to the iPod app now to get to all my media (music/video).

4. rodeoz macrumors newbie

I use the iOS 5 beta. The app has been split into "Music" and "Videos".

Here is a screenshot
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316694353.911515.jpg

5. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

6. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

I hate that they split it. It's one more icon that I have to store on my home screen.. I made an iPod folder and just threw them in there, but I don't like it.

7. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Tis was bothering me a lot when i heard it. But now , since I use Spotify for my music anyway. I dont care.

8. Mumty macrumors newbie

This is just like my iPod Touch 2G, its crap, I don't even store videos and its another wasted icon

9. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

to be honest, me neither, however i can see how it could be annoying for a lot of people.

10. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

11. jplusc macrumors 6502a

I hate it just for the fact that there is another stock apple icon that I cannot remove.

12. AmereckanPsycho macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (device; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for the pic. I'm saddened to see they still have the YouTube app. They could of atleast changed the icon.

13. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

I have a ipod touch so i'm used to it but when i do use the iphone i did like how it was in one icon.

14. zipster macrumors 6502

I think it's a terrible move. The iPod is an iconic name and device.

15. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I prefer it as one iPod icon, but it isn't really a big deal that they're split.

16. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

It's nothing really to get your panties in a twist over. Create a folder called "Entertainment." Drag in Movie, Music, YouTube, Pandora, etc.

Done.

Not that difficult.

17. shandyman Suspended

there's a few reasons they did this, one is to line it up with the iPod Touch and iPad, which has seperate video apps. Other reason is that iTunes in the Cloud/iTunes Match is music only, makes it easier to work with the app without getting mixed up with videos. It's good to unify the devices more, which seems to be what they are doing, thus the iPhone being announced at the iPod event.

i love it, as i have a music folder and a video folder for apps and now i have the 2 in the relevant folder. good for my OCD! :)

18. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

So there is NO WAY to bring back the iPod app icon even if jailbroken????

19. BaBaBoooooooey macrumors regular

BaBaBoooooooey

The only reason it bothers me is that music app icon looks like crap.

20. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Apparently not.

But, I will change the icon back to the iPod with Winterboard/iFile, and remove the videos app using SBSettings. Possibly rename the music back to iPod using some Cydia tweak or something.

21. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

there is a tweak in cydia called "unify music/video into ipod" - never tested it, as i have an iphone...who wants to see if it works? :)

22. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPod app has been completely separated. And as such, the existing tweaks will nit be able to recombine the two apps into an iPod app.

23. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

It's happening right now during the beta stages.

[​IMG]
    image hosting

24. Fugabutacus thread starter macrumors regular

This is horrible, it's one more step between me and my content. Plus, the icons are frickin' ugly.

And it's not exactly accurate, is it? Having everything under "iPod" is fine, but the majority of my audio is radio shows/podcasts and now they will come under "music." And what happens with music videos? Do they go in music or videos? video podcasts?

It may seem like a small thing to get annoyed over, but this, to me, is one of their worse changes and I'm not sure I want to upgrade to iOS 5 now. How long can you really go without updating...? :S

25. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

While I agree and prefer them to be together, I think you just explained why Apple is deciding to split them up. The iPhone's iPod app is just that, an app. It's purpose as a device isn't to be purely a media player, like an iPod is.