Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The new iPad Pro has dethroned the iPod nano as Apple's thinnest device ever, and the company has promoted this feat in a nostalgic ad.

iPod-Nano-vs-iPod-Pro-Ad-Feature-1.jpg

In a video shared on TikTok and other social media platforms, Apple highlights the new 13-inch iPad Pro measuring only 5.1mm thick, compared to 5.4mm for the iPod nano. The model shown is a seventh-generation iPod nano, which was released in 2012.

Apple discontinued the iPod nano in 2017, and this is the first time we have seen the device appear in an ad in quite some time.

Even the 11-inch iPad Pro is now thinner than the iPod nano, as Apple explains:
The new iPad Pro — the thinnest Apple product ever — features a stunningly thin and light design, taking portability to a whole new level. The 11-inch model is just 5.3 mm thin, and the 13-inch model is even thinner at a striking 5.1 mm, while both models are just as strong as the previous design. The 11-inch model weighs less than a pound, and the 13-inch model is nearly a quarter pound lighter than its predecessor — allowing pro users to extend their workflows in new ways and in more places.
The new iPad Pro models are available to order now and launch May 15.

Article Link: iPod Nano Makes Rare Appearance in Apple Ad for Thinner iPad Pro

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Wasn't the 5th generation nano thinner? I remember the colors were really good with that generation and didn't have the white face like the one in the photo above but all uniform with a black bezel around the video. I remember those being extremely thin and possibly slimmer than the iPod nano in the photo.

kalafalas

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
California
Wasn't the 5th generation nano thinner? I remember the colors were really good with that generation and didn't have the white face like the one in the photo above but all uniform with a black bezel around the video. I remember those being extremely thin and possibly slimmer than the iPod nano in the photo.
According to Mactracker, the 5th gen nano (curved design, camera on the back) was 0.24” deep, and the 7th gen (touch screen, home button) was 0.21” deep

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
Nostalgic with iPad Nano. I loved my Nano, it is retired. I didn’t expect the big thermal/power efficiency with a boost in performance from M4. Can’t wait for other devices to get M4. AVP 2.0 with M4 may be something I will consider.

Reactions: wbeasley

onionperson654

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2007
I appreciate their focus on iterative improvements in component size... but I wouldn't mind a little more thickness in return for a little more battery. I do get the importance of weight and balance given it is a handheld device, but my iPad battery doesn't have the longevity of my Iphone or an M-Series Macbook.

Lift Bar

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2023
Yep. I was strangely bothered by that ad. What were Apple thinking?

As for the Nano - one of my favourite Apple devices. I miss iPods (especially the Shuffle). Sometimes a simple mp3 player is all you need.

It was literally the worst ad I’ve ever seen. How anyone with a modicum of sense could have approved it is astonishing. Actually makes me not want to buy this tool and I greatly wanted to buy a new iPad for my work before it. Very odd. Hoping to just forget about it.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Had to look it up because I was thinking the same thing. The 4th and 5th were both 6.1mm. Still pretty darn thin.

• Wow
Reactions: Dj64Mk7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.