iPod Nano Updated, Price Reduced

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 4, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apple announced updates to the iPod nano today with user interface changes to improve navigation and 16 clock faces to facilitate its use as a watch. Its fitness features have also improved with Nike+ compatibility out of the box with no requirement for additional accessories to track walks and runs.

The nano's interface now sports larger icons for easier navigation. The new clock faces include a range of designs, including one mimicking an analog Mickey Mouse watch to classic digital and Roman numeral designs.

Nike+ compatibility for tracking walks and runs no longer requires a dongle that was part of an accessory kit sold separately. The updated nano is now capable of tracking distance traveled, pace, time and more out of the box.

The updated nano will cost $129 for the 8GB model and $149 for the 16GB model, down from $149 and $179, respectively. Both are available starting today. The available colors for both capacities are silver, graphite, blue, green, orange, pink, and red.

Article Link: iPod Nano Updated, Price Reduced

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

They missed back-to-school season but this is in plenty of time for the holiday shopping season.

3. Sackvillenb macrumors 6502a

Sackvillenb

I like this. Although I'd like to actually see the new nano... ;)

4. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I'm wondering if the Nike+ thing means that the nano has a pedometer built into it? I was hoping it meant it had GPS built in, but I'm guessing not.

5. Sackvillenb macrumors 6502a

Sackvillenb

yeah I do really like that the nike+ features are built right in. That's cool.

6. coder12 macrumors 6502a

coder12

Will last year's nano at least get the software update for the watches? :(

7. Andy-V macrumors 6502

They never launch for back to school, they use back to school to get rid of the previous gen stock.

8. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

If Nike+ worked by counting your strides, how is this supposed to work in the nano? People won't be wearing this on their shoes... Am I being a dimwit? I don't know enough about runners/pedometers/"being outside".

9. ftaok, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

The nano 6G has a built in pedometer that counts your strides. Nike+ is not a pedometer. The nano 7G has the pedometer as well, but the Nike+ receiver is built-in.

Here's how the Nike+ system works. You have a sensor/transmitter in your shoe. I can determine the arc that your foot travels along and calculate your stride distance. It will also time the duration between strides and can calculate your speed.

Previous nano's required a receiver to be plugged in. The new nano doesn't need this dongle. All you need is the $20 sensor strapped to your sneaks.

ft

Edit - Just read the updated nano website ... it's quite confusing in regards to Nike+. They make no mention of a built-in receiver. In fact, they also mention that no shoe sensor is required. I guess it's all done with the accelerometer, but that doesn't explain why they couldn't also do it this way for the 6G nano.

10. iEvolution macrumors 65816

No capacity update for 4 years in a row could give two-***** less about this model as I already have last years model.

11. black743 macrumors 6502

It sounded like they were releasing an update to the current Nano today....is that not what they're doing?

Not sure why they would have different UIs when its not a major refresh.

12. jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

that was the first thing i thought too. hopefully. who wants another ipod nano for watch faces

13. ayale99 macrumors 6502

Nike + is the Nano update is was looking for! Woohoo!
    Sure beats not getting a redesigned phone.

The GPS feature would be nice to track your maps on Nike +

14. Makindosh macrumors member

Waterproof?

They should make them waterproof...

15. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

They'll add the extra software features to the last Nano.... right..?

16. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

This only gets interesting when you can low-power Bluetooth into your 4S, see alerts and talk into it for Siri.

17. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

i like the current design and it does say they added some new clock faces, now if you could create your own nano apps.. that would be cool :D

18. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

That would make using them as watches more safe. It kinda sucks having to take it off every time you wanna wash your hands.
    I sure hope so.

19. bretm macrumors 68000

WOW that is one small iPad!

20. parkds macrumors regular

I was hoping that like you said, the receiver wouldn't be required any longer, but looking at the website it says no receiver and no sensor, so I am very confused how this can be accurate. Also what about the nike+ heart rate monitor?

From the Apple site:

21. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I doubt that's gonna happen anytime soon but that's a pretty cool idea

22. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

anyone else notice it says iPad nano on the first line of the story?

holy jeebus!!!1 and iPad nano! oh wait that's just an iPhone :(

23. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

There's nothing about the tech that stops this.

24. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

25. FroMann macrumors 6502

FroMann

Am I the only one that noticed the Mickey Mouse clock? Either way, its nice to see a small price drop. Hopefully a 32GB version will be made later.