Ipod or Iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by siddharta1979, Mar 25, 2011.

1. siddharta1979 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    My ipod touch broke, and my unlocked cell phone will break soon, so I'm considering buying an iphone. Unfortunately the price difference is really high, and I'm not too keen on been bound to At&T for two years.
    A refurbished 3GS (I don't need 4) + 2 yrs commitment with 200mb data a month totals to around 650$ VS. 200$ for a refurbished Itouch. It's a 450$ difference!
    Is there anyway to get around it? Craigslist scares the hell out of me, but maybe if I got a cheap one, even if it breaks I could get a replaced one for a lower price straight from Apple. What are your thoughts?
    Thanks for reading.

2. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

with your extreme price sensitivity, you're best off just getting a new ipod touch.

3. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Get the iPod Touch. I made a thread previously that questioned why people pay the high monthly price for an iPhone.

I just think it's way too expensive. The iPod has pretty much all the features the iPhone has without the monthly plan.

Don't support smart phones, get a dumb phone. :)

4. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I pay $42 a month for my iPhone 4 with a data plan... I don't think that's expensive at all.

5. siddharta1979 thread starter macrumors newbie

42$ a month is not expensive but: 42 X 24 months + 199$ (Iphone price) = 1207$ !

6. applefan289 macrumors 68000

For one person, I think that's pretty expensive. I'm on a family plan where 4 people get 'dumb' phone service for $60 a month altogether (T-Mobile).

7. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Grow a pair and search through Craigslist and find yourself a good deal, you are bound to find at least something within your price range :)

8. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I think that is well worth it, especially for what I do with my phone (though I pay a bit more as I have the unlimited data plan/texting and all that other crap :D). But value to one person may not be value to another. It really depends what you are wanting to do with it.

I use my phone a lot. And I work nights, so I use my phone to watch all of the sports I'm missing. So $1200-$1400 over the course of 2 years is well worth it to me. I could never go back to a dumb phone.

9. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

700 minutes,
    Unlimited after 9/weekends,
    Unlimited text,
    Voicemail,
    500 MB data plan,

$42 a month.

I get a lot of work done on my phone while I'm on the go and it pays the bills. If I had a 'dumb' phone I'd be paying $25 (With Rogers) a month. That's with no texting, about 200 minutes and no data plan. I would not be able to check my emails throughout the day and this would cause me to do everything when I get home from work. This would leave less time for other things. It seems pointless to me. I would save $17, but I'd lose thousands of dollars in business per month. Yes, in my business, a quick reply to an email could make me a few hundred dollars easily. Gotta love the family business.

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

but you said your phone is gonna break. so if you want to buy a new phone, you might as well grab an iPhone.

why not check out ebay/craigslist and grab a 3GS for cheap. that way you won't be tied to a contract and also, you won't need to get a data plan (you can just use your current plan and wifi at home). just pop in your current sim card since you're already paying for service.

i'm sure you can find an iPhone 3GS for about $250-$300. maybe even cheaper

11. siddharta1979 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about it, but to be totally honest with you, buying from craigslist without any warranty scares the hell out of me.

BTW, I hope no one felt offended from my previous considerations. I was just doing some math, but I do agree that situations are different. If I had to work on the go, no doubt it would be worth it.

12. trozau macrumors regular

trozau

From what I am reading, I think you should find out what you can afford and go from there.

13. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I purchased my iPhone 4 on a 3-year plan and the phone was $130 after taxes.

So the total should be around $1642 on a 3 year plan. That's honestly nothing for me... I make that in a week. But that's not the point. For anyone that's working and needs access to an email, $40 is nothing for a month. Any normal 9-5 job could pay for that easily.

14. Pravius macrumors regular

[​IMG]

15. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

Dude i make that money in less than a minute. See two and a half men salary.

16. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I hope you feel mature posting that. I thought kids 12 and under weren't allowed to sign up on this forum?

That's because you're Bi-Winning. :)

17. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

Yep. I'm sorry i have to go to a serious buisness meeting with an actress.

18. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

The iPhone has a better screen, better camera, GPS. Add to that the fact that you can do just about everything you can do on your laptop and more, ANYWHERE. To me this is priceless. Saying that the iPod Touch is an iPhone without the phone is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. 99% of the App Store Apps are worthless without an internet connection on the go anyway. Facebook, Weather, Currency Converters, Skype, Whatsapp, Twitter, Maps, News readers...etc etc.

My advice to the OP is trying to find a deal somewhere or wait up and save some money. The new iPhone will be out in 3 months.

19. applefan289 macrumors 68000

That picture he posted was hilarious after reading your previous comment.

20. Pravius macrumors regular

I thought we were comparing epeens? no?

21. old-wiz macrumors G3

In the U.S. an iPhone will cost you close to $2000 before you are out of contract. Just get an iPod touch and a new cell phone when it breaks

22. jwingfie macrumors 6502a

jwingfie

All the same features other than making phone calls (VoIP hardly counts)... which is kind of the point of having a phone. Why carry a phone and an iPod touch when you can have it all in one device?

23. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

Many people just want the ios experience and don't care for the phone 'gimmic'

24. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

It's true. I have tons of bought games on my iPhone and I hardly ever play them. I play all my games on my iPod Touch. I think people are happy with the iOS experience that the iPod Touch/iPad bring.

25. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

It's true. I first owned an iPod Touch and I got sick of carrying around both my phone and my iPod everywhere. It felt like I was carrying around 10 different things in each pocket. I just had no room. So I made the upgrade to the iPhone and it was well worth it.