iPod Shuffle Released

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
As predicted, Apple released their first Flash-based iPod today with the iPod Shuffle

512MB and 1GB models priced at $99 and $149.
Built in USB connector
No Screen
12 Hours Battery
0.78 ounces

Available at the Apple Store

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Worthless

The iPod Shuffle footnotes clearly state:

(2) Do not eat the iPod Shuffle.

So I guess its not edible. *sigh* My hopes and dreams of an edible iPod have once again been dashed.

Maybe next year, folks... maybe next year.

alirio

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2003
Montreal
Woot!

I'm getting 3 of them...

1GB for me, 1GB for my gf, and 1 512MB for my sister.

No screen is a small price to pay for that size and price in an iPod.

The fact that it can also be used as a flash-drive with controllable "partitionning" is AWESOME!!!

Why no Asteroid or 5GB iPod mini?????

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
$199? Where did that come from? According to the Apple store the 1 GB iPod Shuffle is going for $149.

Anyway my birthday is Friday and I have been holding out on the iPod. It looks like I will be heading down to the Grove in LA to pick one up. Oh and the student discount makes it $139 which isn't bad. I am not too worried about the lack of a screen since I will be listening to music and not watching it.

Nice job Apple........

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
DavidLeblond said:
The iPod Shuffle footnotes clearly state:

(2) Do not eat the iPod Shuffle.
LOL I caught that too! I got a good chuckle out of that.

Personally I think I will be picking one of these up...Maybe then I will start doign some much needed jogging. One of the reasons I don't do any working out is because I need some music! Never wanted to take my 3G out for a run as I don't want to mess it up...Here is my solution!

Would have liked at least a one line lcd or something as was mentioned...but I'll take it! Good job Apple!!

afields

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
Looks fantastic. I'll be getting one. It'll be great for short trips, I'll use my 20gb one for long trips. It's a great one two punch. :)

Hodapp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
Rajj said:
I will be skipping this one.
no screen and it only has 12 hours of battery life.....sucks
Thanks for sharing! I predict NO ONE will be able to keep these in stock that sells them

joeswinehart

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2002
central oregon usa
yes

it will be mine...
perfect for pedaling...hard to break, no need to touch the thing once I am plugged in and riding. Very nice for some of us. Naysayers, are you really opposed to it, or does it just not meet your needs? I've got a 4G iPod, but this will fill in for the things it doesn't do, like withstand heavy shocks, moisture, constant vibration, etc. Most of the time I am out for less than 6 hours anyhow, and it looks like it will hold at least 6 hours of fresh music...and play for twice that.

And all for a price less than 4 sets of iPod socks. </mild sarcasm>

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Wooho! I was right!! I said that 2GB was too big and that they needed a 512Mb model! :D I got a few things right lately - I think I'll quit my day job. :D
(Sound of slap on cheek and expression of pain)
"Yes, dear. No, it was just a joke dear."

;)

PS And I'll be definitely buying at least one.

Lugonn

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2004
I actually preferred the mockup iPod shuffle that was about the size of a USB connector.

Still at about the size of a pack of gum, it's plenty small.

But a 50% markup for a flash card is a bit high. . . . :eek:

Will pass on this one.

Anybody else note the 6-8% drop in Apple stock price today?

dloomer

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
I understand why the iPod itself would be USB-only, but a little surprised there is no FireWire dock option. I don't know how many Mac users out there are still stuck at USB 1.0, but I'm guessing it's not a trivial number.

But I guess for now they're well off to focus on the PC market. Won't hurt the Mac Mini buyers, either.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Wooho! I was right!! I said that 2GB was too big and that they needed a 512Mb model! :D I got a few things right lately - I think I'll quit my day job. :D

;)

BTW Listening by shuffle only is just like listening to the radio (over which you have no control - except with the iPod Shuffle, you know there'll be only songs you do like (and no ads!)

iPod Shuffle - It's like your favorite radio station but without ads.

Catt

macrumors member
May 21, 2003
London, UK
I think I'd go for a Creative MuVo TX FM instead of an iPod shuffle:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002WYSDQ/qid=1105479480/br=3-3/br_lfncs_ce_3/202-1767173-6301412

The new iPod shuffle is OK. Its only selling point is synchronisation with iTunes - other than that I think its underspecced and overpriced (in the UK).

I really think no screen is..... well its not for me.

I would like to point out that it is nothing like a radio. A radio is free, has limitless capacity and a choice of a vast array of different stations.

It would cost me £189.60 to fill an iPod shuffle with songs from iTMS. A radio costs me nothing to listen to.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
Yeah at $99 (A$160 perhaps?) I think this is a nice buy.
I'll get it depending only on how cleanly it syncs my tunes :)
It's positioned well for what I would use.

My play lists are bigger than 512 - ideally I'd want a random sample of songs from the list, and then 'refresh' (replace) songs I've listened to or skipped (whether on the Mac or shuffle).

Nice work.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I think that the iPod Shuffle will turn out to be a great product for Apple. The low price will allow more consumers to enter into the Apple market line. Imagine that it will be hard to keep on the shelves like the iPod Mini. This will also help to increase sales at iTMS.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I tried to get my mother-in-law to hold off buying an iRiver for my father-in-law but she didn't listen. Damn.

iTunes working this thing is infinitely nicer than the iRiver software on their Win98 box. Plus they have to run MusicMatch Jukebox to get the CDs loaded onto their PC before they can even copy it to the iRiver using the iRiver software. Bunch of crap.

Maybe I can convince them to get the $499 Mac mini with Bluetooth KB/mouse and the $99 iPod shuffle. Sweet. Then I won't have to keep going over there and cleaning up their POS PC.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia

;)

Hey, and battery life is up to THIRTY TWO hours with AAA's installed

BTW Listening by shuffle only is just like listening to the radio (over which you have no control - except with the iPod Shuffle, you know there'll be only songs you do like (and no ads!)

iPod Shuffle - It's like your favorite radio station but without ads.