Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BobVB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2002
Re: loss of musical freedom

Originally posted by BongHits
Since iTunes 3 I have no longer been able to burn CDs straight from my iPod and after iPod Update 1.2 I can no longer play music off my iPod through my computer.

Well, you can't burn from the iPod anymore, but I have 1.2 installed and just played several songs from the iPod connected to my computer through the computer's speakers just fine.

Maybe a few less BongHits is needed to make it work right? :)

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago
your right a few less Bong Hits would do me good, I forgot that after my ipod restore I never changed it to manually managing my ipod's songs, causing them to be uneditable. Pay no attention to my ranting.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
All right. For those complaining about not being able to copy songs from the iPod to iTunes or to the Hard Disk, listen up. If you bothered to check out the help menus for iTunes/iPod you will notice a small blurb, saying that you cannot copy music from the iPod to iTunes. I guess this is for safety measures in case of music theft.

There are programs out there, which will let you transfer music from the iPod to iTunes. Do a search here or here to find what you are looking for.

bond2

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2002
Ohio
Show Hidden Files

I am pretty sure you can copy songs right off the iPod to your HD by using a program that will show the hidden files. I have some app that does this and you'll just have to dig through a few folders and then you'll find all your songs. It is actually pretty easy. I am at work on my PC.....what a drag I know.....but when I get home I can double check on the progrma I have and what folder the songs are in.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
bond, I tried what you said using HiddenHunter 2.0 (OS 9), but I got no luck. (Yes, the program searches for invisible files.)

Jam

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2002
NoVA, USA
I got my iPod one day before I left for a work trip... I was supposed to video an event and then edit it up and show the video on the final day of the trip. well, I thought I'd be all slick and just put all the music I might need onto the iPod and copy it off later...
wrong.
So, after much fretting, i just erased the Pod and then used Norton Unerase to restore all the songs to my TiBook... an ugly method, but it worked in a pinch...

-J

deepkid

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
chicago
"Do not disconnect!"

"Do Not Disconnect"

You can eject your iPod through iTunes (bottom right corner). I saw this flashing for a while, but noticed that iTunes had given me the OK that the update had been completed.

Clicked the eject button, iPod was no longer mounted. No problems.

Even thought it might seem like a small thing, but adding that clock was a surprise and is handy. I no longer have to pull out my phone to check time..nor do I have to wear my wristwatch. A convenient addition.

I can't wait to play with iCal.

Anyhoo, any way to program the alarm without using some software on the mac? Prolly not, eh?

a_kim

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2002
DC
ipod to HD

If you know unix, it's actually quite simple to do. The only commands you need to know are CD (change directory) and ls (list). I'm not going to go into detail, but all you have to do is go in the terminal, find your way onto the ipod (in the /Volumes directory), and start looking around. Use "ls -a" to list ALL files (including hidden), and you will soon find that there are several hidden folders, each containing a messload of songs. Once you find these directories, just use the "open" command, and the folder will open up on your desktop. Then, it's just simple drag and drop.

-Alex

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Re: iPod 1.2 for System X only?!

Originally posted by vitrector
the only updater I can find is a .dmg file (system X file!?) - won't open in system 9.2. Bummer. Anyone find a .img or .bin file for system 9?
I'm not ready to convert to X quite yet - computer too slow, work doesn't support darn! I realy wanted all of the additional functionality....

mmmmm only for X huh?
well my ipod works just fine this way and I dont give a **** about the calender and clock options (I got a watch).
It's seems to me that people are generally unhappy with the update.
ANd for the fact it isn't out for OS9 (if it is sorry) apple can kiss my ass. :)

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
>mmmmm only for X huh?

Yep. This would make sense, since the update is supposed to work well with iTunes 3, which is only available for OS X.

>well my ipod works just fine this way and I dont give a **** about the calender and clock options (I got a watch).

I never heard of a watch, which can be used as a calendar. :rolleyes:

>It's seems to me that people are generally unhappy with the update.

I propose a vote on who uses OS 9 and OS X. Let's see if your statement stands. Besides, the update is free and it comes with a ReadMe, for people too worried about updating the iPod.

>ANd for the fact it isn't out for OS9 (if it is sorry) apple can kiss my ass. :)

If you aren't using OS X then TS. You can live with iPod OS 1.1, can't you?

Q-bert

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2002
Re: Re: iPod 1.2 for System X only?!

Originally posted by iwantanewmac
mmmmm only for X huh?
well my ipod works just fine this way and I dont give a **** about the calender and clock options (I got a watch).
ANd for the fact it isn't out for OS9 (if it is sorry) apple can kiss my ass. :)

It's also available for OS 9:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=122013

You should have checked the Apple web site before posting your rant. I totally disagree with your assertion that people are unhappy with this update - I for one am VERY happy, and the system I use for listening to music is OS 9, not OS X.

newmanium

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
smart playlists...

installed the update on my little 5 gig and we're both happy now, but the question i want to ask is the combatibility with smart playlists. more specifically, does the update allow the update the ipod to activate "live updating" of smart playlists without the use of itunes?

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago
oh no...the terminal

I am new to the macintosh (former pc user, i know, i know...) and am utterley afraid of the terminal (i have zero clue on how to operate a computer via command lines). Anyone who has experience with the terminal how would I locate my iPod via the terminal and open its hidden contents (/ls -a i saw earlier?)
any help will be appreciated, but also a bit late as apples crappy customer support made me restore my ipod to verify hardware problems. but in the future it will be good knowledge to have.

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
Still room for improvement

First of all: I love the update, it just makes my one-year-old iPod even better!
To answer your question, newmanium, no, the iPod doesn't update the samrt playlists automatically... but, when you plug it in, it uploads the playcount to iTunes, and you will the the songs you listened to in your 'Last played' playlist or whereever else you might have changed something with your iPod.
The question I ask myself now is: why can't the iPod write or change anything without computer and/or iTunes? I mean, it doesn't update the smart playlists, you can't add contacts or events in the calender... why not? I mean, wouldn't it be great to be able to quickly add something with the wheel, kinda the way you set up the clock, scrolling through the letters, to write? Oh well, 1.3 then... :D

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago
iPod Retriever

THANK YOU FOR WRITING THIS APP IT ROX!!! now nobody can keep me from what is legally mine HAHAHA!i got a warning that the .sit file is either not compressed or encoded tho? thanks for your help and programmin expertise.

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
i ran to the apple store @ the north shore mall in boston : no new iPods there yet. But I had my iPod with me, in about 50 sec Update, my original iPod seemed like new. Some additional stuff like the clock & cal are nice additions. Also the flashing do not disconnect icon is a nice touch - a couple of times i've ripped my ipod out of my tower and forgot to eject it 1st. happens to everyone - now it's clear to eject 1st.

i almost fell for the do not disconnect thing after updating, but the iPod Updater app told me it was completed, so i just ejected it. whamo. done. apple makes updates SO FREAKING EASY - it's wonderful.

thanks Apple.

wilhelmd

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2002
Re: iPod Retriever

Originally posted by BongHits
THANK YOU FOR WRITING THIS APP IT ROX!!! now nobody can keep me from what is legally mine HAHAHA!i got a warning that the .sit file is either not compressed or encoded tho? thanks for your help and programmin expertise.
I "re-stuffed" it in the ".sit", ".sit.hqx" and ".dmg"-formats.

Hope it works now.

http://www.damsleth.com/ipod.asp

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago
it worked fine before. I just meant that os x displays a warning to check with the creator of the file to make sure the contents are valid. just thought that might throw some people off. btw could u make the retrieval window automatically close after it is finished importing songs into the iPod Retrieve folder? that would be nice for someone as lazy as myself. i need to learn some cocoa :D.

SubFredZero

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2001
Cool... now only the ipod is missing :(

Doesn't anybody want to sell his 5gb ipod to buy a 20gb ? If you're from europ, contact me....

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Originally posted by King Cobra
>mmmmm only for X huh?

Yep. This would make sense, since the update is supposed to work well with iTunes 3, which is only available for OS X.

>well my ipod works just fine this way and I dont give a **** about the calender and clock options (I got a watch).

I never heard of a watch, which can be used as a calendar. :rolleyes:

>It's seems to me that people are generally unhappy with the update.

I propose a vote on who uses OS 9 and OS X. Let's see if your statement stands. Besides, the update is free and it comes with a ReadMe, for people too worried about updating the iPod.

>ANd for the fact it isn't out for OS9 (if it is sorry) apple can kiss my ass. :)

If you aren't using OS X then TS. You can live with iPod OS 1.1, can't you?

I said my ipod works well this way and I have no use for a calender anyway so......

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago
Cool... now only the ipod is missing

Doesn't anybody want to sell his 5gb ipod to buy a 20gb ? If you're from europ, contact me....

Im not from europe but ill sell you my 5gb ipod (scratches & all) for pretty cheap if you're interested. Let me know bkonar@ameritech.net

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Re: Re: iPod 1.2 for System X only?!

Originally posted by iwantanewmac

mmmmm only for X huh?

Uh huh, you seem really indifferent. What with your name being iwantanewmac, and all.

coolmom

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2002
Ipod update 1.2 Killed my Ipod

I did the update today..went smooth...checked it out when connected to computer. Then I did "eject IPod"...took it to work...tried to turn it on..It DIED!!!...NO IPOD symbol or firewire. NADA!!! I brought it home..plugged it in to computer again..hoping to see it on ITunes...but nothing..It has gone poof. Be careful of this update. Please advise anybody? How can I wake up my IPOD?????

I did the reset..now it is really messed up. See the "do not disconnect" on IPod...no songs ..invisible. I can see them when on computer through ITunes. I want to wipe the whole thing..but says I need the Updater. Where is that? My songs don't appear on IPod alone. Help plzzzz!! I tried the reset buttons..get batteries symbol..I have had Ipod charging through computer for hours...hmmm..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.