iPod Touch 4G Screen Distorts Under Pressure: Video

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DetroitBORG, Sep 12, 2010.

1. DetroitBORG macrumors regular

Today I noticed that the new iPod Touch is susceptible to warping and distortion when pressing firmly on the screen. I put together a little video demonstrating the problem and how it's unique to the 4G iPod Touch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPtwGfzchA8

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

3. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

Then don't do that ;)

4. fswmacguy macrumors 6502

fswmacguy

5. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

What's the wallpaper? ;) And it doesn't feel good to press the screen so hard that it distorts. :(

6. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

In all seriousness, this is quite a strange thing for an iDevice. We just bought my daughter one of the new iPod Touches last night, she's 2, so hopefully it can withstand the same amount of abuse as her old iPhone.

7. fswmacguy macrumors 6502

fswmacguy

My 2nd gen does the same thing under heavy pressure.

8. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

And a capacitive touchscreen at that. Really, you're best served using the lightest touch possible. There's nothing to be gained by mashing it.

9. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

Firstly you should not need to be pressing that hard, that aside because the LCD panel is now fused to the front glass\digitizer as a single components the same as the iPhone 4 when you press that hard you are actually putting pressure on the LCD as well which I imagine is not a good thing.

10. stevo101 macrumors member

i'm sure mr. detroit knows its not good to do this but mr. detroit was doing us a favor by showing us that this does happen a heads up sort of speak. which is for sure strange because i dont remember my touch 3g doing that, and you know it doesn't always have to be your finger while its in your pocket for example that could also happen like old lcd panels on windows smart phones that didnt have glass over them. that sucks that apple sacrifices quality and substance for design. Maybe if you wait for the first batch of ipod the other ones wont have the same thing happen or as bad; 1st batch of things always have problems ya know?!?

11. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

:eek: I didn't know touch screens did that if you applied too much pressure! :rolleyes:

12. N2PVP macrumors member

N2PVP

Mine does not do that! But have not tried a hammer yet and it is unlikely that I will!

13. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

woah you gave a 2 year old an ipod

14. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

go figure a LIQUID crystal display disperses when you put pressure on a point.. i mean, pretty much every LCD screen does this.

15. Abscissa macrumors regular

...what?

16. vanzantapple macrumors 6502

vanzantapple

I wouldn't call that a problem. More like, nature of the beast. No big deal at all.

As far as the iPhone 4 NOT distorting under pressure, you don't really expect a $230 device to be made as good as a $700 device do you. :p

17. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

You should get her one of these to go with it:

Woogie

18. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

As a matter of fact; yes, since there's probably less than $20 worth of parts difference between the two devices.

19. hcho3 macrumors 68030

You are not touching it right. Just avoid touching it that way.

20. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

You're joking right?

21. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

Of course not.

22. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

We actually have a Woogie on the way, since there aren't really any cases out for the 4G iPod Touch at the moment.

Her iPhone 3G was just inside an InCase Slider and it was in perfect condition when we sold it. She was pretty good with it, and hopefully will continue to treat the iPod Touch the same.

But yeah, Woogie looks awesome.

23. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

She's 2 and a half and really knows how to work it, for real. She knows how to play her movies and is very discriminate about which one she wants to watch. And if she gets tired of watching movies she plays her games, which has really helped to develop her coordination and touch, as well as help to identify shapes and colors.

I was hesitant at first, but really I think it has helped her to grasp technology at an early age. She knows it's her iPod and doesn't mess with mommy's or daddy's as a result, which is a good thing.

The greatest thing about the iPod Touch is now she can facetime with her Grandmother in England. Just have to keep her from facetiming when it's 1AM over there.

24. 7even macrumors 6502a

In other news, stepping in water makes your feet wet... Beware of puddles :rolleyes:

25. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

I never knew touch screens also had this problem. Interesting!