IPOD TOUCH 6 IN 2018?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by AlphaRemixHD, Jan 7, 2018.

1. AlphaRemixHD macrumors newbie

Is the Ipod touch generation 6 worth getting in 2018? Im looking to use the ipod as a mini tablet and was wondering if it able to run all the everyday apps like facebook, twitter and so on with out slow down or freezing with a few games in there to, will the IPOD 6 be obsolete in a few months or can i get it without worring about slow down on apps.

2. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

I would say no. It has 1gb of ram an A8 processor and bad battery life. Get a SE and just use it as an iPod Touch as you will be happier.

3. AlphaRemixHD thread starter macrumors newbie

Can i use a iphone without a plan over wifi

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Yes. iPhones can be used as Wi-Fi devices without a Sim card or a carrier attached.

5. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Depends what you want. I would never get an SE because of it's size (no desire to carry two cell phones). For my own uses, I find the Touch 6 battery to be no problem although the SE battery is larger. You should have no issues running the apps you listed on the Touch 6. If you have access to an Apple store, I suggest that you try both a Touch 6 and an SE to see what works for you.

6. yasineris macrumors newbie

I use an iPod Touch 6 all day every day without a problem on iOS 11.2.5 beta 3.

7. ackmondual, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018

ackmondual macrumors 65816

ackmondual

Maybe if you can get a new one, at 128 GB capacity, for less than $50? I'd say less than $100, but even that seems to be pushing it.

EDIT: 128 GB, NOT 256 is the max capacity for the IpT6

8. smorrissey macrumors 65816

I'd suggest you to go for SE instead.

IPT6 has never been a great device, battery issues since brand new and now with ios 11 the user experience is just mediocre.

9. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

The maximum capacity is 128GB for both the iPod touch 6 and the iPhone SE.

10. Paddle1 macrumors 68040

It's okay but the iPhone SE would provide a better experience.

11. ackmondual macrumors 65816

ackmondual

Ahh, I got the storage tiers confused with the most recent iOS devices. I'll correct that. The post should still even with the tiers "shifted one over".

12. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

Yes it’s the 7, 8 and X series of iPhones and the iPad pros that are available in 256GB. However I understand the point you were making.

13. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Facebook and Twitter absolutely no problem, but the a8 graphics are possibly getting a little long in the tooth for more demanding games now. What sort of games would you be looking at playing?

14. Becca11 macrumors newbie

When do you know is the new iPod touch 7th coming out.

15. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Whatever they do the next iPod touch should get at least a 3,000 mah battery. The current 1,043 mah battery is just too small. If they need to make it as thick as an iPhone (or thicker), then so be it.

Alas, I doubt they will update the iPod touch ever again, but they surprised me once before when they released the 6.

ASIDE - all three of my kids have iPod touch 6es. The small battery does have one nice benefit. I limit the kids to one full charge on each weekend day. They've quickly learned how to conserve battery to maximize usage. This will help them later in life ... haha. Also, it ensures that they aren't staring at their iPod all day long on the weekend and that they get some exercise.

16. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

Cool idea!

17. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

I wonder if they might not build the next one around the 4.7" screen of the iPhones 6-8 (probably the non P3 panel of the 6 and 6s?) - it could well be cheaper than the 4" panels by now given the economy of scale. Doing that would give them quite a bit more space to work with without making it thicker (I like how svelte the device is currently, part of the attraction over an SE)

18. ackmondual macrumors 65816

ackmondual

Would it be? Given how they Iph SE is still selling, I'd figure that would at least put them both on even ground as far as scales go.

19. smorrissey macrumors 65816

Personally i do believe the iphone SE is the way to go as an ipod touch device from now onwards...specially regarding the price...very close...

20. kaydot macrumors regular

I saw that Boost Mobile is selling a 128gb SE for $199. Anyone thought about buying one and simply not activating it?
    Can I get away with that?

21. smorrissey macrumors 65816

Why you don't want to activate it? Maybe i'll buy one (a 32GB one) when the new one gets released.

22. Ffosse macrumors 68000

1GB of RAM in the iPod Touch 6th generation is what is holding it back and it's hard to recommend one in 2018. The Facebook app would eat a huge chunk of that (and destroy battery).

23. kaydot macrumors regular

I have a phone on t-mobile, and I'm happy with that service. I'm not averse to carrying multiple devices.

24. ackmondual macrumors 65816

ackmondual

TBF, isn't the Facebook app a battery hog no matter what device you're on? Accounts have indicated that not using it can save up to 20% battery usage in any given period..

And the 1 GB of RAM.... I remember how much of an improvement it was for the IpT6 to get double the RAM over the IpT5, but also knew that boost wouldn't last long. :(

25. Ffosse macrumors 68000