Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaRemixHD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2018
Is the Ipod touch generation 6 worth getting in 2018? Im looking to use the ipod as a mini tablet and was wondering if it able to run all the everyday apps like facebook, twitter and so on with out slow down or freezing with a few games in there to, will the IPOD 6 be obsolete in a few months or can i get it without worring about slow down on apps.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Is the Ipod touch generation 6 worth getting in 2018? Im looking to use the ipod as a mini tablet and was wondering if it able to run all the everyday apps like facebook, twitter and so on with out slow down or freezing with a few games in there to, will the IPOD 6 be obsolete in a few months or can i get it without worring about slow down on apps.

Depends what you want. I would never get an SE because of it's size (no desire to carry two cell phones). For my own uses, I find the Touch 6 battery to be no problem although the SE battery is larger. You should have no issues running the apps you listed on the Touch 6. If you have access to an Apple store, I suggest that you try both a Touch 6 and an SE to see what works for you.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Maybe if you can get a new one, at 128 GB capacity, for less than $50? I'd say less than $100, but even that seems to be pushing it.

EDIT: 128 GB, NOT 256 is the max capacity for the IpT6

Last edited:
Reactions: kern1988

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
I'd suggest you to go for SE instead.

IPT6 has never been a great device, battery issues since brand new and now with ios 11 the user experience is just mediocre.

Reactions: Saturn007

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Ahh, I got the storage tiers confused with the most recent iOS devices. I'll correct that. The post should still even with the tiers "shifted one over".
Yes it’s the 7, 8 and X series of iPhones and the iPad pros that are available in 256GB. However I understand the point you were making.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Facebook and Twitter absolutely no problem, but the a8 graphics are possibly getting a little long in the tooth for more demanding games now. What sort of games would you be looking at playing?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Whatever they do the next iPod touch should get at least a 3,000 mah battery. The current 1,043 mah battery is just too small. If they need to make it as thick as an iPhone (or thicker), then so be it.

Alas, I doubt they will update the iPod touch ever again, but they surprised me once before when they released the 6.

ASIDE - all three of my kids have iPod touch 6es. The small battery does have one nice benefit. I limit the kids to one full charge on each weekend day. They've quickly learned how to conserve battery to maximize usage. This will help them later in life ... haha. Also, it ensures that they aren't staring at their iPod all day long on the weekend and that they get some exercise.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
Whatever they do the next iPod touch should get at least a 3,000 mah battery. The current 1,043 mah battery is just too small. If they need to make it as thick as an iPhone (or thicker), then so be it.

Alas, I doubt they will update the iPod touch ever again, but they surprised me once before when they released the 6.

ASIDE - all three of my kids have iPod touch 6es. The small battery does have one nice benefit. I limit the kids to one full charge on each weekend day. They've quickly learned how to conserve battery to maximize usage. This will help them later in life ... haha. Also, it ensures that they aren't staring at their iPod all day long on the weekend and that they get some exercise.

Cool idea!

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017

I wonder if they might not build the next one around the 4.7" screen of the iPhones 6-8 (probably the non P3 panel of the 6 and 6s?) - it could well be cheaper than the 4" panels by now given the economy of scale. Doing that would give them quite a bit more space to work with without making it thicker (I like how svelte the device is currently, part of the attraction over an SE)

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I wonder if they might not build the next one around the 4.7" screen of the iPhones 6-8 (probably the non P3 panel of the 6 and 6s?) - it could well be cheaper than the 4" panels by now given the economy of scale. Doing that would give them quite a bit more space to work with without making it thicker (I like how svelte the device is currently, part of the attraction over an SE)
Would it be? Given how they Iph SE is still selling, I'd figure that would at least put them both on even ground as far as scales go.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Personally i do believe the iphone SE is the way to go as an ipod touch device from now onwards...specially regarding the price...very close...

Reactions: SigEp265

kaydot

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
Personally i do believe the iphone SE is the way to go as an ipod touch device from now onwards...specially regarding the price...very close...

I saw that Boost Mobile is selling a 128gb SE for $199. Anyone thought about buying one and simply not activating it?
Can I get away with that?

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
I saw that Boost Mobile is selling a 128gb SE for $199. Anyone thought about buying one and simply not activating it?
Can I get away with that?

Why you don't want to activate it? Maybe i'll buy one (a 32GB one) when the new one gets released.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
1GB of RAM in the iPod Touch 6th generation is what is holding it back and it's hard to recommend one in 2018. The Facebook app would eat a huge chunk of that (and destroy battery).

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
1GB of RAM in the iPod Touch 6th generation is what is holding it back and it's hard to recommend one in 2018. The Facebook app would eat a huge chunk of that (and destroy battery).
TBF, isn't the Facebook app a battery hog no matter what device you're on? Accounts have indicated that not using it can save up to 20% battery usage in any given period..

And the 1 GB of RAM.... I remember how much of an improvement it was for the IpT6 to get double the RAM over the IpT5, but also knew that boost wouldn't last long. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.