Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
I'm so excited about this product. Yeah it would be nice if it had a mail app but I dont think its lame to not include one. It is smart. They have to seperate the ipodT and iphone besides just the phone features. My question is: Could I buy a 8GB iphone, unlock it and use it like the iphone touch so that if i later decide to make the switch to AT&T i can?

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
If the touch had Mail, I'd buy one. I don't use webmail so a mail app is pretty important to me.

There would still be an incentive to buy the iPhone - the addition of the PHONE features!

Since I have a contract with tmobile, I can't really use the phone features though.

If the touch had mail capabilities, it would be very useful. I could travel without my laptop for example and use it in hotels/airports. Otherwise, it's not worth the extra money just to have a touch screen and be able to buy songs from a Starbucks.

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
Stop trying to hack the iPhone you naughty little monkeys! Vegetarians might try to install these apps.

BTW

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007

Yes, now please!

It was very evident yesterday that Apple never intends to open-up the iPhone or iPod touch unless you're one of their closest buddies (e.g. Yahoo or Google).

Imagine if they did. Apple would look bad if another IM or email client hopped on board while they're still working on theirs (iPod touch doesn't have a mail client). Plus the 3rd party apps could take up valuable real estate that they'd want to use for deal similar to the Youtube one. I'm sure Apple gets some compensation for that advertisement of Youtube.

PecanEater

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2007
My question is: Could I buy a 8GB iphone, unlock it and use it like the iphone touch so that if i later decide to make the switch to AT&T i can?

This is a good point. If you leave out the extra 8GB of memory, wouldn't it be better to get an unlocked iPhone with no AT&T service? You have the opportunity to have the phone later and you get Mail, etc and a camera. Everyone seems to be forgetting about the camera. Its not great but still useful. For $399 you get a 8GB iPod Touch + Mail, Google Maps, etc + Camera + microphone (potential VoIP, etc). No monthly AT&T costs... Isn't this the way to go?

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
apple really did release amazing products yesterday. too bad some had to ruin all the good news with their B-eye-chin and complaining.Congratulations Apple, you sure do know how to make some kick-ass stuff.

: 9-5-07 : Only time in the history of the world people have complained because something is cheaper than it was before.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
The Plan should be....

The iPod touch doesn't have to be locked down like the iPhone if using Apple's reasoning. It is just a music player so perhaps it should be opened up. Then if it proves that the iPod is stable, then an argument could be made that they can open up the iPhone.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Waiting for the 16GB iPhone (Jan?)

I will be doing that. I think the 16gig could even come before Xmas.
It is always good to wait a bit for a new product after is released. It's a safe bet in terms of price reduction and bugs to be fix. I am glad I waited and waiting a bit more won't hurt.

Same applies for the iPod Touch. It will soon have more apps.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I don't think anyone here is being negative, some people would just love to have Mail, being that the Touch runs the same OS and has wifi.

I can't think of any reason why copying it over won't be easy, with minimal hacking required. I also want Notes, same story with that app.

I read somewhere that you can edit or create contacts on the Touch, but I don't know. Hopefully the Notes and Calendar apps are the same exact binaries as on the iPhone.

What I'm hoping for is that the Finder and TextEdit app development progresses, and we can get those on the Touch.

I'm personally gonna wait on ordering until some of these things are tried/confirmed. But I will likely end up buying one no matter what.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Please, please!!

I've been in the market for a new PDA.

It would be great if you can add calendar and contacts, also a mail and notes app.

Heck, why not iWork mobile for iPhone and iPod Touch? Read PDF's, Excel, Word, PowerPoints...

Heck, lets just start calling it the "iPod Newton"!!!

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
What a joke, how could it not have Mail? Very lame Apple, very lame!

Would be nice, but not required, do other music players have email?
web mail works fine via the safary browser, no need to install an app unless you want "PUSH" mail.

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
I can't understand the missing mail app on the iPod touch, what is the most likely thing you would do in a WiFi hotspot, check you email!

Let's hope they add this feature, Mail and iChat in a WiFi hotspot would be cool!

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
This thing is going to have a great future, it's still early days!

O and A

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
New York City
I AGREE. Give us the darn SDK. If it's not unveiled during the new OS rollout in Oct, then I don't know man, I just don't know.

Having my iPhone on a plane recently w/out internet is like having a brick w/out games or ANY apps... cmoooon

what did u do before u had an iphone and u were on a plane?

Corrosive vinyl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006
this is great... its just like a scaled down version of the iphone... free and clear from AT&T. I think :apple: got upset at what happened between them and AT&T so they thought, "we already have the technology, lets just make a similar device without the phone so we don't have to deal with anyone except us and the chip manufacturers" plus with the wi-fi all you are missing is something most people already have, a phone.

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
Would be nice, but not required, do other music players have email?
web mail works fine via the safary browser, no need to install an app unless you want "PUSH" mail.

But that is not the best way to check you mail, do you use webmail on your desktop, I think not!

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
SDK when it is fully baked please...

Next WWDC.

That's my prediction.

There is no real reason why 3rd party apps would be a problem on an iPod Touch. All of SJ's concerns around 3rd party apps for the iPhone were related to the device being a PHONE. There is no reason why the iPod Touch couldn't be opened up.

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Time to tackle 3 things:

1) No microphone, its a good thing.
One of the greatest things the Apple has is third support. Including a microphone and shutting out a dozen vendors and their unique solutions, probably not a good idea. I like the selection anyways. If I want a mic Ill clip one of the options on my lapel. Wait for after the Leopard release for an SDK, third party support is always on its way.
3rd part VOIP would be killer, but you might as well have the radio hardware and the phone features to accompany it.

2) No mail, no biggie.
I'm sure Apple will be adding more features as they come. Perhaps there needs to be a better integration of data, considering the iPod has always been used to store files. This leads me to my last issue...

3) Home on iPod.
You will see Home on iPod as was originally introduced 2 years ago, roughly about the time of this technology development. See any coincidences? This rumor will come to fruition. The eye candy to accompany it and the interface could be really, really sweet. Of course so would more memory...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.