Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
VoIP

Even with VoIP on an iPod touch one would still need a cell phone. Thus, simply using mobile JaJah via Safari, which I do to call Asia quite successfully, allows one to use their cell for VoIP. (No economic interest here, just like the service.) In fact, I place it through my iPhone and talk at local, rather than international rates.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
: 9-5-07 : Only time in the history of the world people have complained because something is cheaper than it was before.

Oh so very true, you pay the price for being early adopters, you got it before every other country on the planet, stop whining...

Mail on the iPodT will come within the next month, not from apple though...

I'm planning on an 8gb iPod touch, I'm not ready to give up my O2 ice phone, plus iPhones not out here....

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
My question is: Could I buy a 8GB iphone, unlock it and use it like the iphone touch so that if i later decide to make the switch to AT&T i can?

Yes you can, but it requires some workarounds which have been well-documented in the iPhone community so a search should bring them all up.

matznentosh

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2002
Waiting for the 16GB iPhone (Jan?) and then get a 160 GB iPod Classic to couple with it. One for phone/podcasts, etc and one for Most of my DVD/CD collection synced from the lappy.

My daughter pointed out to me that her computer automatically accesses everyone's iTunes libraries in her dorm building (I'm an old fogey, no iPod or iPhone, I have to hear about this stuff second hand).

So would the wireless iPod Touch and the iPhone be able to do that too? if so, you wouldn't have to have such a big hard drive, the smaller flash would be fine, you wouldn't have to keep much on your iPod at all. It would just stream from your larger library, like the Apple TV does.

JuicyGoo

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2004
NYC
Touch surface?

Anyone figure out if it uses the same glass screen or a cheaper plastic alternative?

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
3rd party applications to the iPhone or at least the iPod touch is a must. We need at least a Keynote and PowerPoint reader of native Keynote and Powerpoint files!!!

Payton

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2006
Portland, OR
Anyone figure out if it uses the same glass screen or a cheaper plastic alternative?

It comes with a polishing cloth, so I'm assuming it's glass too. :)

Also, all this talk about Mail, Maps, Weather, etc... I can see why Apple would leave these off of the iPod touch, BUT where the hell is the notes app? I mean, sure they will probably add apps in the near future. But the notes app does not even use WiFi. I'd probably order one now if I could input notes.

Tampa Tom

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
I'm sure that Apple is strategically choosing what to put on the iPod touch. They've got to give people some incentive to step up to the iPhone, and if there are key features which only the iPhone has, they'll go for it.

Uh....a phone maybe?????

tribulation

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
jackson hole, wy
Would you seriously consider buying this?

People this is an Apple Rev A device. I would HIGHLY recommend not buying it unless you want to be ripped off.

Do you think Apple came up with this product, had it designed, manufactured, and tested all within the last 2 months since the iPhone debuted? Obviously not. It's no secret that Apple was obviously planning the price reduction from day one. There's no component price fluctuation that could even come close to making up $200 worth of parts that drop in price in 2 months. None.

Apple took a very shady route and voluntarily ripped all of the early iPhone adopters and BEST MARKETERS they could have ever wished for. Here's the thing::

This thing has a max hard disk of 16 GB. They already dropped the smaller iPhone with good reason after only 2 months. 16 GB isn't much more when compared to other ipod-ish devices available now. Check out the newest Archos model for example. Sure, the interface isn't as good, but the space is exponentially larger. There's no doubt that Apple will dump this rev A version within a couple months max [again] and release a bigger version. 2-3 months from now and the iPhone is due for an actual physical upgrade if they want to stay competitive. 16 GB for a music & video player is atrocious for near-2008.

What happens then? Well, you will be screwed and PO'd like the iPhone buyers here. And again I'm not talking about normal product evolution and a normal pricing fluctuation. Apple has shown its core users a disgusting side of their quest for money. Mr. Jobs already said there will be No refunds for iPhone buyers. So even if that wasn't part of their original plan, it surely got a massive amount of negative media attention, yet when he had the chance to fix it even a bit [come on, even a $25 iTunes gift card would have sent a goodwill message to their users], he flat out poops on your face.

I'm not saying in any shape or form that products can't evolve and be marketed greatly. I am positive that this is a marketing and management blunder of unheard proportions for Apple fans. If you buy now, you will be sorry. There is no question of that. :eek:

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
My daughter pointed out to me that her computer automatically accesses everyone's iTunes libraries in her dorm building (I'm an old fogey, no iPod or iPhone, I have to hear about this stuff second hand).

So would the wireless iPod Touch and the iPhone be able to do that too? if so, you wouldn't have to have such a big hard drive, the smaller flash would be fine, you wouldn't have to keep much on your iPod at all. It would just stream from your larger library, like the Apple TV does.

True. People can opt not to share their iTunes library (per default, it's not shared). I don't know whether the iPhone or iPod touch can do that too. I'm pretty sure thos devices can't share their own libraries, but it would indeed be cool if they could if they could browse remote libraries. However, this would require to have WI-FI on to listen to music. That drains the battery and radiates your genitals a little if you have the iPhone/Pod in your pocket all the time...

Sure, the hardware could do it, but Apple software tends to be rather simple.

It would be cool if iPhones and iPod Touches could share the library though. You browse the songs around you (looking like one big playlist) and if you like what you're hearing, you can buy it roght on the spot. Would be a great way to make you want new music. "Shuffle remote playlists" would be neat :)

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
How long until someone ports the iPhone mail app to the iPod Touch? I hope soon so the damn complainers stop whining about having to use web mail

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
I'm not saying in any shape or form that products can't evolve and be marketed greatly. I am positive that this is a marketing and management blunder of unheard proportions for Apple fans. If you buy now, you will be sorry. There is no question of that. :eek:

Unless you buy based on the actual product you're getting, and not on the comparison to the next update.

That said, I'm probably waiting for the next update, but some people want to have it now and are willing to pay the premium. Same for the iPhone.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
People this is an Apple Rev A device. I would HIGHLY recommend not buying it unless you want to be ripped off.

Do you think Apple came up with this product, had it designed, manufactured, and tested all within the last 2 months since the iPhone debuted? Obviously not. It's no secret that Apple was obviously planning the price reduction from day one. There's no component price fluctuation that could even come close to making up $200 worth of parts that drop in price in 2 months. None.

Apple took a very shady route and voluntarily ripped all of the early iPhone adopters and BEST MARKETERS they could have ever wished for. Here's the thing::

This thing has a max hard disk of 16 GB. They already dropped the smaller iPhone with good reason after only 2 months. 16 GB isn't much more when compared to other ipod-ish devices available now. Check out the newest Archos model for example. Sure, the interface isn't as good, but the space is exponentially larger. There's no doubt that Apple will dump this rev A version within a couple months max [again] and release a bigger version. 2-3 months from now and the iPhone is due for an actual physical upgrade if they want to stay competitive. 16 GB for a music & video player is atrocious for near-2008.

What happens then? Well, you will be screwed and PO'd like the iPhone buyers here. And again I'm not talking about normal product evolution and a normal pricing fluctuation. Apple has shown its core users a disgusting side of their quest for money. Mr. Jobs already said there will be No refunds for iPhone buyers. So even if that wasn't part of their original plan, it surely got a massive amount of negative media attention, yet when he had the chance to fix it even a bit [come on, even a $25 iTunes gift card would have sent a goodwill message to their users], he flat out poops on your face.

ooh, so you're saying that in a few months a more improved model will come out! No way! :rolleyes: You mean technology keeps moving forward! Wow!!! :rolleyes:

Why does everyone say iPhone owners were screwed?? No they weren't, just unlucky. They thought the iPhone was worth $X, and paid it. What is the big f*cking deal. Price reductions happen every day with technology. No one whines when Dell/Sony/Nokia lowers their prices every 1-2 months.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
So what's hardware the iPhone has that the iPod Touch doesn't?

1. Camera
2. Microphone
3. SIM Card Slot
4. Motion Sensor

Is there anything I'm missing?

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I haven't really been keeping up with the iPhone that much since I didn't intend to get one, but if the iPod Touch does not have an email client (and whatever else) then it might make sense to get a refurb iPhone and simply activate the iPod features. Does the syncing and all other features still work as normal if you do this? It might be worth the extra $50 to some, and you still have the option of activating the phone if you want to. Of course, you are limited to 8GB instead of 16GB.

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
So what's hardware the iPhone has that the iPod Touch doesn't?

1. Camera
2. Microphone
3. SIM Card Slot
4. Motion Sensor

Is there anything I'm missing?
5. Speaker
6. Proximity Sensor (turns off screen if close to face)
7. Bluetooth

Oh, and oh yeah... the transceiver in a CELLULAR PHONE. :)

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
ooh, so you're saying that in a few months a more improved model will come out! No way! :rolleyes: You mean technology keeps moving forward! Wow!!! :rolleyes:

Why does everyone say iPhone owners were screwed?? No they weren't, just unlucky. They thought the iPhone was worth $X, and paid it. What is the big f*cking deal. Price reductions happen every day with technology. No one whines when Dell/Sony/Nokia lowers their prices every 1-2 months.

you are correct, to a point. Apple does NOT normally do this, however. Point to ONE item where they have. I've seen upgrades for the same price, or similar features with some aspect downgraded (say iMac using Intel 950 for students in lieu of ATI for less $$).

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
How many places could you actually use Safari and a mail app on the new Ipod? You would have to make a point of being in a hot spot, Star Bucks, airport, or pulling in a signal from your home network. I still see this device as an Ipod, a device primarily for listening to music.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
5. Speaker
6. Proximity Sensor (turns off screen if close to face)
7. Bluetooth

Oh, and oh yeah... the transceiver in a CELLULAR PHONE. :)

Ah, didn't realize there was a dfifference between the motion sensor and the proximity sensor - and totally forgot about bluetooth!

So we've got:

1. Camera
2. Microphone
3. SIM Card Slot
4. Motion Sensor
5. Proximity Sensor
6. Bluetooth
7. Speaker
8. Cellular Transceiver

Hmmm... how much you figure that stuff runs? Makes you think the iPod Touch could be about $100 less, even with the larger flash drive!

tribulation

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
jackson hole, wy

Yes I am saying that. The just released 16gb model is a hacked together version of the iphone. When the iPhone gets updated, it will inherit the guts. When will the iPhone's specs most likely have to be updated to stay relevant in the cell market? Within a few months. Which means the just released ipod touch will be updated almost certainly alongside.

I'll be they learned a lesson this time about pricing, yes Apple still has much to learn. So they will probably keep the price the same but with 2x or more the specs. Which would you want?

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Yes Actually I DO use Webmail on my desktop

But that is not the best way to check you mail, do you use webmail on your desktop, I think not!

Yes, I switched over to Gmail from Outlook and never looked back.
Yes, Mail would be nice, but again as people already stated, its part of differentiating the Touch from iPhone.

My God, APPLE RELEASES INCREDIBLE PRODUCTS YESTERDAY, WITH HUGE PRICE REDUCTIONS TO BOOT! And all you guys DO IS BITCH AND MOAN!

Get over yourself --- If you want it, Buy it! Otherwise ****!

- SW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.