iPod Touch and MacBook Updates for September?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 12, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A new analyst report from Piper Jaffray claims that Apple's September announcement will reveal a new iPod Touch and new MacBooks.

Analyst Mike Olson predicts that the iPod Touch will be tweaked to resemble Apple's new iPhone 3G and also raises the possibility of price drops and/or capacity increases. Recent Firmware hints have suggested the iPod Touch could see feature upgrades as well. The expectation of a new iPod Touch is also consistent with whispers we've heard.

Olson also points to slimmer MacBooks which could also have newly designed keyboards. This prediction may have been inspired by circulating rumors and photos depicting an aluminum MacBook. Apple has been rumored to be introducing "major design changes" to their notebook computers this fall.

Apple's choice of processors for a new MacBook revision will certainly be Intel's upgraded Penryn processors which were introduced alongside the Montevina platform in July. The latest Intel processors boost processor speeds up to 3.06GHz and also increase bus speeds to 1066MHz (from 800MHz). The new MacBooks will likely also benefit from upgraded integrated graphics with the GMA X4500. The GMA X4500 benchmarks significantly faster than the GMA X3100 found in current MacBooks. While there has been some talk that Apple will migrate to a 3rd party chipset, the implications of such a move remain unclear.

Article Link

2. iOrlando macrumors 68000

stock is ripping for no reason (this must be it....maybe people waking up...) this has been out though since June... weird.

3. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

When are Apple's September announcements usually? (as in early, mid, late, the 17th at 2:00 PM, etc.)

4. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

Let's hope this will indeed be in early september, and that the shops will have some stock at least on standards configs.

Wished there would be something around a more powerfull Air too...

5. Donkeyfart Suspended

it'll happen AFTER the IPOD TOUCH deal is over.

so at least end of september to early october.

6. urbanskywalker macrumors 6502

The MacBooks are already made of plastic. Do these people do anything other than predict based on the weather.

"The new MacBooks will be slimmer, might have exteriors made of plastic instead of aluminum and could also have a newly designed keyboards, said Mike Olson, an analyst at Piper Jaffray & Co."

7. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Well, what about MacBook Pros?? Does this mean they'll see an update before this event?

8. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

No. If they do get an update, it'll be along side this one, I'd bet.

Nice Avatar, btw :D

9. Donkeyfart Suspended

How much do you think I can sell my Macbook Combo Drive 12" in a year for this?

Also, will superdrive become standard?

10. scotty56 macrumors regular

I wonder if the pricing will stay the same? Also, what the speeds will be for all three computers..

11. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

12. stuff4dave macrumors newbie

Then I suppose we might soon be hearing about plastic backs and cracks in the casing of the new ipod Touches as well. I suspect, depending on the desirability of the features in the updated Touch, that refurbs of the 1st gen Touch will be a hot commodity after the update if they use the same plastic as in the iphone 3g.

13. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

There are actually some rumors indicating that Apple may go back to iBook pricing, ie starting at $999. I don't have a clue how credible that is, but that'd be nice :D

14. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Why would the MacBook move to the new Intel processor platform before MacBook Pro? I vote for MBP updates also.

15. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

16. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Those pictures are probably fake though

17. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

hmm... i'm going to guess this was just misreported on IDG.

arn

18. isoceles macrumors member

isoceles

No new MacBook Pro? I could care less about the MacBook. I'm waiting to hear about a real laptop. :p Just kidding MacBook owners. I'm excited to see what they do for you guys, but the Pro is due for an overhaul as well. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

19. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

iPod Touch will definitely have the 3G plastic backing...

20. bigmc6000 macrumors 6502a

Now that could get me off the bench (3.5 year old 12" PB) and should address most of my concerns

1) I don't play hard core games so I don't really care if doesn't have a dedicated card but it better be able to play 100-200MB games without any lag
    2) I'm not going to buy a plastic computer
    3) I, sadly, don't have the cash to buy a 2k+ MBP. I can see dropping 1200-1300 but that extra 700+ is the stickler...

I'm just guessing here but I think there's a fair number of people with the same scenario (not the 12" PB but the 1-3 list)

21. bigmc6000 macrumors 6502a

Considering the only wireless they need to put in there is the Wi-Fi there just wouldn't be any reason for that. Also, I sure as heck hope they wouldn't do that - the new iPhone looks cheap enough - please maintain some level of style and quality!

22. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I bet my iMac on it!

Reasons:

Wi-Fi will have far better reception. My Aluminum iMac doesn't get nearly as good reception as my wife's iBook G4.

The plastic back is cheaper to manufacture.

Apple will also want to keep some sort of consistency across their devices.

23. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Mots

More of the Same…

Can we get some NEWS (New Stuff)? If this is how analysts get reliability records then I'm not impressed.

Hmmm. Either misrepresented (MacBook Pro) or they know something we don't…

And just because the analyst says iPod touch and MacBook doesn't mean we won't see other products unveiled at the event.

The last few have been in the first half of September.

24. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Well the analysts are smelling blood in the water so it must be getting close to update time.

Interesting that some say the new MacBooks will use Montevina while others say they will move to nVidia's new mobile chipset.

Since this is nVidia's first mobile chipset, I tend to think Apple won't launch it and instead will use Intel's Montevina.