iPod Touch Gen. 2

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TheZimm, Jul 25, 2008.

1. TheZimm macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

I was wondering about all the rumors of the new touch.
    I want 2 no some realistic things that will prob happen

2. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

So does everyone else. Only an Apple product engineer might know, and he or she will lose their job if they tell you. If you want rumors, just browse this forum. It's full of them.

3. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

After all, this IS MacRumors.com; Not MacFacts :D

4. MattGTO macrumors regular

MattGTO

How many of these threads do we have to start up? Its fairly certain that there will be an update in september, as they usually update their entire iPod line in September.

5. amusiccale macrumors 6502

Could someone find one of the better threads and make it a sticky?

6. asskick3r macrumors regular

asskick3r

I have a question... but this is probably not the right thread.
    If the new 2nd gen ipod touch comes out... what will happen to all the people who both the 1 gen version?
    I'm expecting that if you bought one before a certain date you would either get the chance to trade in your old one to upgrade to a new one... but not for full price.
    (e.g... The new ipod is 399.99... you trade in your old one... then the new ipod is discounted to like 99.99.)
    Or if that doesn't happen... at least we should receive some gift cards.
    I remember this happening once for the first gen iphone... but correct me if I'm wrong.

7. MattGTO macrumors regular

MattGTO

But there's nothing to talk about. There's been no "official" rumors on a second one, and all we would get are wishlists.

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

That makes no sense. You bought it as it was, you don't deserve a new model. When has any company ever done that? I bought a 2002 model of a car for $xxxxx and now I deserve the 2003 model for 75% off?

9. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

LOL! You are crazy my friend. What land do you live on?

The iPod touch is not a phone, and there is no contract involved. You're not entitled to any upgrades, regardless of when you purchased or when the new one is released.

10. .imac. macrumors newbie

umm i would think or hope
    that they put a camera
    on it

11. TheZimm thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

a camera would be pretty cool but i think something like a radio would be cool

12. Nickelz92 macrumors member

The touch is not an iPhone. They'll never put a camera on it as much as I would like it to, it would compromise iPhone sales.

See Pandora Radio App. Already exists man.

13. MattGTO macrumors regular

MattGTO

+1

Guys, if there is an update, it will likely have more space, possibly a better screen, and maybe a small makeover...that is probably the extent of what would happen.

And I am NOT an Apple employee and am not trying to sound like one, I am just using common sense.

14. TheZimm thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

I agree on the camera but I mean a radio where u don't need the Internet or like an fm transmitter

15. macfan881 macrumors 68020

actaully if anything i would love to see a internal i would love to use shazzam or one of the other programs to reconize songs on a radio

16. Tragedies macrumors 6502

They won't make it to 64GB, the prices of the flash memory ae currently too high.

Expect to see the 16GB replace the 8GB, and 8GB cut. And maybe a redesigned back, but nothing more.

17. amusiccale macrumors 6502

Well, I was envisioning the thread with more of a quarantine function to keep the new ones from popping up :)

18. bep207 macrumors 6502

i dont think a new ipod touch is in the near future, the nanos and classic will get updated far sooner

19. Obi-Wan Kubrick macrumors regular

A camera that could film video would be crazy.

20. .imac. macrumors newbie

i hope i hope i hope

ive alwas hoped they would put a camera
    on the new touch but it dosent seem likely
    what would be cool is if you could make videos and then add music to them
    right on your touch
    :):):):):):):):):apple::apple::apple::apple:

21. OffBrand macrumors member

So would I, along with a capacity boost.

22. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

First off, let's get the probably not gonna' happens out of the way:
    • There won't be an FM radio as Apple doesn not do this with their iPods, and it isn't on the iPhone. Maybe an iPhone/ iPod touch compatible radio remote like they already make for other iPods.
    • There won't be a camera, it doesn't need to happen and I highly doubt it will happen. Distinguishes from the iPhone.
    • Speakers, again, not needed, lessens difference between iPod touch/ iPhone. Still possible though, I would like them but I just don't see it happening.

My wishlist/ what I think is probable:
    • $50-$100 price drop.
    • Added external volume controls. Come on, Apple! we have physical controls on every iPod, including the iPhone, and we need them on the iPod touch! It's impossible to control unless taking it out, sliding the unlock, double tapping the home button, messing with the controls, pressing the power button again, putting back into pocket.
      We could have side volume controls and hopefully a Play/Pause button to be able to control in the pocket/ without looking.
    • For some reason, I could see GPS. I don't know why, but I could just see Apple adding GPS to the iPod touch as a new feature. Plus there are rumors of Apple adding turn-by-turn navgigation, so maybe 2.1 will be released along with a GPS capable touch? :p
      Just my naiive hope :D
    • Maybe a change of the backing (including other iPods) to aluminum or another material. Most likely aluminum, and it would look nice/ scratch less.

23. Metsfan7450 macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

how would GPS work on the Touch if you always have to be on wifi?

24. amycishere macrumors 6502

25. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Doesn't the phone part of the iPhone distinguish enough? And wouldn't GPS lessen the difference between the iPhone and iPod touch?

Anyway, I predict a price drop and possible discontinuation of the 8 GB model.